Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine many people own multiple bikes, but garage tetris and financial responsibility are real.

How much inherent value is there in owning 2 or more bikes, especially if they each have a specific purpose (ie one for short trips or track days, another for touring, etc)? What are the issues, expected and unexpected, that you now have to deal with, say, insurance, maintenance, etc? Did you end up neglecting one bike for the other, but then regret it when you sell the unused one?

If you only have one bike to do it all, what limitations do you come across? For example, I only have a BMW G310R - fun little learner and great for tight maneuvers and day trips, but anything about 60 mph is not really comfortable for long distances, especially if there's any wind. What if you only have a big bike, like an R1200GS, do you end up not taking it out when you may have taken a smaller bike if you had it?

For the record, I am contemplating this exact scenario - I may sell the G310R to help fund an R1200GS later, but at the same time, I've added some custom parts to the G310R and made it mine, and feel like I may end up missing it. In the short time I've been riding, I've made a lot of great memories on the bike. Plus depreciation is real.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,458 Posts
So I've had up to three bikes at once and the only issue I've had were space and that I always felt somewhat guilty as I felt like I wasn't riding one of them enough. At this point I only have a BMWK1600 GTL but I'll probably add either a recent model Triumph T120 or Harley Dyna. I only road ride and everything is far away from me so a big bike works really well. I can see the need for different bikes depending on what you want to do.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
For the last 35 or more years, I have always had a street bike and a Dualsport bike, as I do now with my CTX1300D and my Dl650 V-Strom.:smile_big:

I at one time had 4 bikes and a Maxi-scooter in the garage at one time:surprise:

We moved from Southern California in 1999 and I had a new KTM640 EXC and a new Suzuki 1200S Bandit, that living right at the foot of many mountain roads, I took 100 mile lunch rides on the street and 40 mile lunch rides over Jeep roads, several times a week:wink2:

A nice BMW GS to go with your streetbike would be cool:smile: I believe a GS model of your bike is available right now:grin:

I've had 5 BMW's and the finest was my 1999 R1100 GS as it did everything well:smile:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A nice BMW GS to go with your streetbike would be cool:smile: I believe a GS model of your bike is available right now:grin:
That would be a hoot, having virtually identical but different bikes side by side! I honestly wish I'd gotten the 310GS right off the bat. With the upgrades I put into my R (windscreen, handguards, luggage rack, etc), it is trying to self identify as a GS. Next thing you know I'll end up finding a way to improve suspension and throw dual sport tires on there. Definitely not the intent of the R...

At the time I started, I had no idea what kind of riding I wanted to do, but knowing what I know now, I want to go explore far off places in comfort, and not be intimidated when the road turns to gravel or dirt, or disappears entirely. Long trips to where cell phone reception disappears and the views are once in a lifetime. Plus I love the GS look - didn't know it until later.

There is a formula for the correct number of motorcycles you need. It's X + 1 where "X" is the number of bikes you have now.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
That's definitely the truth...I've got two cars, each with a specific and important purpose, but I've contemplated selling one and making room for bikes!:grin:

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
If I tried to clear a 60' triple with the Softail I would be in more trouble than if I tried to ride the dirt bike on the freeway. If I were limited to just one bike (God forbid that EVER happens) it would have to be a 400cc dual sport.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My Honda CBR300R is the perfect bike for me -- now. My rides are local or, at most, 200-300 mile round trips, largely on two-lane roads, rarely exceeding 65 MPH. But I can foresee a day in the near or not-too-near future when a bigger-displacement and a bit cush-ier bike may well appeal. If and when that day comes, I will owe the Li'l Red Rooster for getting me back in the groove after a 30+-year absence from riding, and I am sure a light, nimble bike will always be appreciated in roles where a heavy, powerful bike will be more of a hassle than a help.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
I have a 88 Harley Springer which is my around town and short ride bike. I also have a Yamaha RSTD which is my road bike for long distant trips.

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
I have my 1500 Goldwing for my daily rider, although it can be a bit unwieldy for short local rides. And it is DEFINITELY no good for off road, even for plain dirt roads.

I have my '77 Honda Trail 90 that is fun to ride, but it is so slow that I'm always afraid that I'm going to get my ass run over from behind on it.

I'm thinking that I need an "in between" bike.
I'm considering something like a Honda PCX 150 Scooter that can hit 65 briefly on the highway.
Or a Yamaha TW200 which is very capable of road use as well as off road riding.

We'll see....

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
I'm probably a bad person to ask for this because I enjoy owning multiples of many things. I have a main gaming computer, a flight sim computer, a computer to stream to my bedroom TV, a hackjob convertible computer, and a tablet computer.

I then have four cars (all the same model, but different generations) and my three bikes. The only real benefit to having multiples to me is having something else to ride/drive when one is broken. Other than that, I love being able to have a variety of different experiences.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
The biggest issue I have had is having insurance on all of them and using them regularly. It's bad to let a bike sit..

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
I'm probably a bad person to ask for this because I enjoy owning multiples of many things. I have a main gaming computer, a flight sim computer, a computer to stream to my bedroom TV, a hackjob convertible computer, and a tablet computer.

I then have four cars (all the same model, but different generations) and my three bikes. The only real benefit to having multiples to me is having something else to ride/drive when one is broken. Other than that, I love being able to have a variety of different experiences.
Some people may think you have too many bikes, or too many computers, or too many cars.
I think you have too much money.
Send me some.
:grin:

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Some people may think you have too many bikes, or too many computers, or too many cars.
Send me some.
:coffeescreen: I was thinking the same thing. Between the insurance and our countie's wheelage tax, that would be costly to maintain.
But don't send me any of your money! Keep it, I'm sure you worked hard for it you should enjoy it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lets put it this way, I have way too many bikes. Most are future projects or parts bikes, but I'd say my tagged ride-able bikes number around eight, the rest are future projects and parts bikes. Around 20 in all, with the majority of them being from the late 70s to mid 80s Suzuki GS models as my avatar reflects. I do have a couple of late model bikes, both Yamahas, an '04 FZ6 and an '05 VStar 1100. I have one other Yamaha, an '84 FJ1100 and I have one Honda, an '84 VF750 Interceptor.

Why do I have sooo many bikes you ask, because I'm an addict, that's why. lol Really, it's hard to pass up on a good deal. I've had around 40 bikes over the last 8 years. Some I flip, some I part out and some I keep. Most of my keepers are bikes I wanted when I was younger, but for reasons just couldn't have back then. The majority of my bikes have been vintage street bikes, but I did flip a '91 DR650S. Here is a pic of my herd around 5 years ago.

I don't have a current group pic of the Herd, but here is a couple of my riders.
'84 GS1150ES

'82 GS1100E

'86 GV1400 Cavalcade

92 GSX1100G

If anyone is interested, I currently have a sweet '79 GS850G for sale, ready to ride. https://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1979-suzuki-gs-850g/6659804941.html

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Send me some.
Surprisingly I'm actually not rich. I just perpetually keep a Craigslist window open while at work and have good connections in the car communities I'm a member of. One of my cars was free, one was a cheap project, and the other two were bought new (one of them is paid off). Since I buy my extra cars and bikes at the bottom of the market, I don't really lose any money. :)

GSRICK and Aphrodite are my inspirations <3. Look at that collection!!!!!!!

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
In my opinion, if you had a bike that could do everything, then it would not do anything very well. In a perfect world I would also have a small sport bike for running around, another FJ1200 for road trips, and a KTM adventure bike.

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
I only have five. Was looking at a Triumph Trophy 900 for touring with Shirley. If I was on the big island, a 650 Suzuki off road bike would be nice.

UK

·
Registered
50 Posts
Surprisingly I'm actually not rich. I just perpetually keep a Craigslist window open while at work and have good connections in the car communities I'm a member of. One of my cars was free, one was a cheap project, and the other two were bought new (one of them is paid off). Since I buy my extra cars and bikes at the bottom of the market, I don't really lose any money. :)

GSRICK and Aphrodite are my inspirations <3. Look at that collection!!!!!!!
Thanks, I've sold the two bikes on the ends and one of the FJs in the group pic. I also buy most of my bikes on the cheap from Clist ads. Being a M/C mechanic I can talk them down pretty low since I usually know what the problems are just by looking at them and know how much it cost for the repairs.

The black bike in the foreground is an '82 GS550T. It has an interesting story to it. I got as a bike for my wife to ride. I bought it for $300, fixed the issues and let my wife ride it for awhile. She polished up all the shiny stuff. Put it on Clist and traded it even up for a low mileage '86 650 Nighthawk which she rode until I got her a cool '81 GS450S from a forum friend. I sold for $1,800 to recoup the money for the 450S($1,200). A year later I bought the 550T off Clist again for $300, put new battery and stator, clubman bars, and recovered the seat. Rode it for three months and sold it for $1,800 again. If I see it on Clist again, it will be a keeper if I buy it for a third time, it was a cool bike.
1st time around when my wife rode it.

2nd time around when I rode it. The clubman bars really opened up the bike for me. I didn't care to ride it with the factory bars. I felt too crowded.

We are lucky in FL as we don't have extra city or county fees and unless your making payments, you don't even have to have insurance. All my bike, but the few late model bikes all have collectors tags. There are no riding restrictions associated like the auto antique tags, so I can ride them every day, but I don't. The GSX1100G ($500) get the most daily riding as it has around 58K on the clock, but it is a rocket none the less. BTW, I do have insurance on my tagged bikes, but it's cheap bundled with my cages.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
Well, I bought the Harley Sporty1200 Nov22nd of 2012 put a fair amount of work into her and am glad I did,
she's like 27 yrs old and starts right up, getting 50 a gallon and great for back roads and she looks pretty good.

I bought the Wide glide new 7/28 in 15 because I wanted to take much longer rides and it is nice to have two
bikes that give somewhat different rides. The WG has been given a full stage 1 and not only runs better than
new but sounds much more like a Harley, also I got hi-way bars, a chrome coils cover with the fat orange
plug wires and though they were not needed, new grips. Insurance and registration is no problem

1 - 20 of 75 Posts