Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Honda VTT1100C2 A.C.E, after riding yesterday probably 80miles I noticed a large amount of coolant coming out of the overflow hose underneath my bike, I need Help on what the problem could be, this bike has not done this before.

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
I would venture a guess the cooling system has never been cared for. Did you by it new or used? There maybe nothing major wrong except an overdue need to flush and replace coolant. Check and/or replace hoses and thermostat. Some systems require air purging or burping before ready as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You, bought the bike used, not familiar with Hondas ( where is the thermostat, proper way to flush cooling system. You are right this bike was probably never serviced properly are there any videos available for flushing and cooling system maintenance that you are aware of?

·
American Legion Rider
20,005 Posts
Sometimes it's money well spent to let your local mechanic do the work. But if you insist, get a service manual for that model.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Coolant out the overflow means too much pressure in the system..either from air expansion or water expansion.

Air: Low coolant level or (hope not) head gasket blown and air is over-pressurizing the system.

Water:
>less than 50/50 water/antifreeze mix = too much water = water boiling/expanding and pushing fluid out of the system.

or

>Flow problem...water pump failure, radiator blockage...something is slowing or stopping the flow of water in the system...so the water in the heads boils, which causes it to expand and push fluid out of the overflow.

The first step is to ensure a proper fill.

Drain it, and refill to at least a 50/50 ratio. DO NOT buy 50/50 antifreeze...buy 100% antifreeze and work the ratio in the system to 50/50. The reason is that you may not get all of the water out of the system...so if you add 50/50, you're immediately below 50/50 when it mixes with the water in the engine.

My method:
1. Drain the system.
2. Fill it with water but don't lock the pressure cap.
3. Idle until the thermostat opens then shut it off.
4. Let it cool and drain it.
5. Repeat until all that drains out is clear water.

For the final drain, catch the water and measure how much comes out, compare that to what the manuals says the system should hold.

Example:
Spec is 1 gallon.
Final drain is 1/2 gallon.
Meaning that 1/2 gallon of water is still in the system.
Add 1/2 gallon 100% antifreeze and now you're at 50/50

Get the idea?

PS> If you have hard water, for that final fill/drain, it would be best to buy a gallon or two of bottled water (by evaporation) and use that as it will prevent mineral build up over time within the cooling system.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
little known factoid:

all motorcycles over 800cc are considered racing machines. they tend to overheat sometimes, and were never intended to be ridden for more than a few miles at a time. Tell you what, you take regular breaks, fill up at 1/4 tank intervals, and let it cool down a bit between starts, and your machine will last alot longer that it will if you jump on it, rip into work some 50 miles away, then rip home after filling up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts