Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Old
So, I've been riding my 08 Vegas for many years and the scoot has been about as reliable as the sunrise. But now, after 45k is has some bigger scheduled maintenance that need attention.

Front fork seals and rebuild. (left seal is beginning to weep just a bit)
Steering head bearings (notched as dead center)
Rear shock replacement (no noticeable issue, just on the list for replacement at 50k)
Fuel filters (recommended replacement at 50k)
Tires

I can do the rear shock myself, but all told (including labor) this all adds up to around $2700.

The KBB trade value is $5100- but I will take a bit of a knock for high mileage.

The New?
An area dealership has a 2013 Cross Country with 5700 miles for $13k. It's pretty much stock and a clean bike, will need tires before the end of the season, but that's about it.
I have sent them detailed pics of my Vegas and they offered only $3500 for trade value.

The catch...
It is pretty easy to see that I should probably trade, but there is more to the story.
My Jeep is 13 years old and has 150k on it. It will have to last another 3 years if I buy a new scoot. That, compounded with the fact that I will have almost $7k in medical bills rolling in from knee surgery 3 weeks ago.

Just looking for other points of view and advice.
I would be pretty content to keep riding the Vegas as I still like the scoot, on the other hand, spending almost it's value to do the maintenance seems a bit daft.

So...what say the masses?

·
Visionary
4,632 Posts
I'm a total do it yourself-er, I know what I would do. The parts to rebuild the forks and the steering bearings won't set you back much at all, it's got to be the labor that's killing you, and neither of those should be a job too big to handle, and the fuel filter can't be a big deal to change at all. The shock isn't a big deal to change but that will cost some money I'm sure but if it's still working well you can defer that one for quite a while, just keep an eye on it.
So you can keep that Vegas on the road pretty cheaply if you so choose.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
I just got $5100 trade in on my 08 Vegas, so I think they are shorting you on yours. Plus, the Cross Country is far overpriced. If it were me, and it isn't, if I was going to trade, I would offer $2000 less and they would have to put tires on it. If you do keep it, put new riser bushings in it while you have it apart. Also, get a sealmate and clean the fork seals, they just get dirt in them and leak a little. I did it to mine at 8,000 miles and it was still dry at 24,000 when I traded it in. I only had it a year though.

In reality, I would fix the Vegas and pay the med bills. Nothing worse than making payments on medical for any longer than necessary.

Hope you have a quick recovery.

·
8,604 Posts
Front fork seal will only leak until the fluid is gone.---ride it.

Steering head bearings that are notched at dead center is fine for a cruiser that only goes in a straight line anyway.---ride it.

Rear shocks will be fine, just add more spring tension.---ride it.

Fuel filter clean very well with a full can of Chevron Techron.---ride it.

Tires can be ran until almost bald.---ride it.

Forget the Trade. $3,500 I bet they would the cheapskates. Post a picture here and I bet you could sell it for more and quickly.

Keep and baby the Jeep.

Ride that Vegas, it's a sweet machine.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
45k isn't high miles. That's just getting broken in right. Add another 100k and I'll call it "used." I would think it'd be much better to keep it and do a little maintenance then to trade it in and take on another bike payment.

I don't work on Vics, but I can give you my opinion based on the type of bikes I do work on:

They call for replacing the shocks as a part of RM at 5k? That sounds completely absurd. If there's no performance issues leave them alone.

Fork seals might run you $50 and take about 2 hours to replace. It's easier if you have someone show you how the first time, but there's nothing to it. At 45k it's probably about time to change the fork oil anyway.

I'd try adjusting the steering head bearings before I replaced them. Often, when they get loose, you will feel them "catch" at the mid point, but a proper adjustment will smooth that out. On an HD that's what the "cure" is about 90% of the time.

Tires? Well, those are important, so you'll need to think about them. You'll save a few coins if you can even just remove the wheel and take it to the shop yourself. Many places will mount and balance a tire for around 30 bucks, but charge a whole hour to and hour and a half do it on the bike.

Fuel filters can be tricky, and I don't know where they are on a Vic. On a Harley EFI they're usually inside the gas tank and there's a trick to getting them out. I think replacing one pays a half hour labor. But like Porky said, if it's working correctly why replace it? If your bike has an in-line filter outside the tank that might be a different issue, but it should be easy to get to.

I don't know, $2,700 sounds like a lot of money for what you're describing. I wonder if someone is trying to sell you some stuff you don't really need.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ok, here's what I would do. Keep the Vegas.
1) Try to use one of those 'tools' for the forks, just to make sure that the problem isn't simply 'dirt' in the way of the seal, causing the 'weep'.
2) Unless you're actually experiencing 'steering' troubles (catching, locking, etc.), I wouldn't worry about that bearing, although you could probably change it yourself fairly easily.
3) Unless the shocks are bottoming out or leaking like a sieve, I'd leave them alone, too.
Save your $, so that IF you need to, you CAN put it into the Jeep LATER.

Sounds to me, though, like you REALLY want that Cross Country. I'd be evaluating, though, if that is a 'want' or a 'need', and unless it's really a 'need', I'd keep what I have. That's what I'm doing right now, with my Spirit 750, keeping it going, even though I really WANT to 'upgrade' to a VTX, and have seen some GREAT deals on them in the past few months. Financially speaking, that is the 'wiser' thing to do.

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies and opinions. I'm usually pretty solid when making decisions, but for some reason I'm waffling back and forth on this deal...maybe that should tell me something right there.

Steering head bearings that are notched at dead center is fine for a cruiser that only goes in a straight line anyway.---ride it.
Apparently you've never been to the Driftless Region of Wisconsin:biggrin:

KBB on the XCountry is right about $13k. Most around here go for a bit above that. And Luvs scoot was well within the "mileage range" for an 08.

The $2700 total was the high end of repair costs from a trusted mechanic where I bought the scoot. We just went down the list of RMs and he gave me the parts and labor costs...worst case scenario.

If they won't budge on trade or price numbers then the deal is dead. It's a 3 hour drive down there and I just don't know if I want to trailer a bike and drive all the way down there again just to have them look at the trade. If it were summer, I'd just ride it down...but alas, it's only in the mid 30s with salt and sand covered roads...

Sounds to me, though, like you REALLY want that Cross Country.
Yeah, there may be a little to that assessment;) The CC would be nice for touring and passenger comfort when the next girlfriend shows up (can't yet seem to find one that rides her own)

At this point I am leaning toward keeping the Vegas. I do still really like that scoot and have become kinda attached to it...............but that may change in 20 minutes:p

·
8,604 Posts
" I do still really like that scoot and have become kinda attached to it...............but that may change in 20 minutes."

Somebody found me out!!!!!!:biggrin:

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hehe. Yeah Porky switches rides before they need their first oil change:p

I rode down to the local dealer today and he was also at about $3500; buying it outright.

Then as I was putting my helmet on another guy came up and asked my how I liked the Vegas. When I told him it may be for sale he was pretty interested. He didn't balk at all when I mentioned $5k, so I got his contact info and said I'd call him when I make a decision.

·
8,604 Posts
You are blessed---maybe, because if you sell it you will still go into debt again!:biggrin:

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and so it continues...

Well, the 2011 Vegas I was going to go look this Saturday has sold:frown: 5700 miles for $9300- And I even loved the colors too.
It was across the state, so I called a buddy over there to go check it out. 10 minutes ago he called to say that they sold it yesterday.

There's another up near the twin cities that I may cruise up to look at, just to check it out. It a bit cheaper at $8900 and has 10k on the odo. But it's red...I'm not a fan of red.

The CC is still available as far as I know, but that's still a bit more than I would like to spend.

Haven't heard back from the guy that was "really interested" in buying mine...surprise, surprise.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
ok, If I were a patriot(which I am) I would make a flag that says
"Don't Dump On Me" ride it over to your house and kill a mole in your front yard with it.

Motorcycles are not worth $10,000- unless they are a completely custom machine. My 2 bikes have some custom work on them. They are easily worth 5000.

you and your stock values are ruining the economy.

you deserve the prices of insurance and permits.

not me, I'm special....

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,359 Posts
Yammy has a different view on life, and what makes perfect sense to him, may (will) not make sense to others. I think the Washington rains have stained his rose colored glasses,

·
Driftless Rider
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Heading over to test ride the CC on Saturday, just to see if it gives me that "feeling."
And have a guy coming Sunday to check out my Vegas.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Yammy has a different view on life, and what makes perfect sense to him, may (will) not make sense to others. I think the Washington rains have stained his rose colored glasses,
^^^ A wonderful example of how to be a good citizen of the Internet. Thanks, Critter.:71baldboy:

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
What bothers me is that I think i understand most of it!:icon_cool: Maybe Mrs Slum is right in her thinking I am on this site too much...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts