Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
American Legion Rider
21,771 Posts
Depends on the person and what size you started with. When you are running around wide open most of the time it's probably time to move up a notch or two. But if you started out on too large a bike bike you may take years or never out grow it. Just depends.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
By outgrowing a bike, do you mean physically or have you just had all the fun you could out of it?

I change bikes out every year or two, not that I outgrow them, but there are so many I want to ride out there.

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
Are you thinking of buying your kid a dirt bike? Or are you trying to talk yourself into buying a bike too big for your first?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
There is no such thing as "outgrowing" a bike. You may WANT a new or bigger bike, but it's not because you outgrew the old one.

·
Premium Member
7,852 Posts
Bike

90 years.
I have all the bikes I need forever.
Forever in insurance language is age 100. The question becomes. What would motivate me to buy a new bike? The answer will have nothing to do with outgrowing the bikes I have. Unless it was a CT70.

The basic question I have posed, it what keeps the designers and advertising departments on their toes.

Stuff that might interest me.
A 750 Guzzi, a big touring Guzzi, a V4 Aprilia, a KTM390, a 250 Honda trials, a 1650 MOTUS, and a couple of the Indians look cool.
For vintage, a 1946 AJS 500 single.

Next bike will be a 200 Vespa scooter.

Unkle Crusty*

·
American Legion Rider
21,771 Posts
Well "wanting" to move up is totally different than "outgrowing" a bike. Chances are if you are thinking about it you are probably ready. The question then is, are you ready? That then gets back to asking if you are maxing the bike out now in cornering, braking and accelerating. You'll have to be the judge there cause we can't see you ride. As long as you don't have, oh crud, what have I done now panic attacks throttling, braking and cornering but yet still want more, you're ready to move up I would think.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have a bike with a 113 CI motor and is over 8 foot long. If I outgrow that what the heck would I buy?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I think that years ago when many really small, lightweight bikes were on the market (like the 250 Rebel from Honda), it was not uncommon to outgrow a motorcycle. The conventional wisdom at the time was that a beginner needed to get a smaller displacement bike to really learn on. And most new riders agreed that these small bikes were perfect for their needs and wants. But as they became more proficient in their riding, their horizons expanded. No longer was going 50 mph in top gear on their neighborhood streets enough to keep them happy. Or they wanted to take a passenger along, or go on a long bike trip. Or they just wanted the feel and power of a bigger bike. But nowadays when a "starter" bike might mean a 750cc motorcycle, some riders will never "outgrow" it (unless it is an 883 Sportster; a bike everybody outgrows!).

Personally I have been up and down the displacement range, starting with a 175cc, then a 150cc, then on to a 700, then an 1100, and then "down" to a much faster and more powerful 1000 (actually a 997cc sport touring bike). And then to a 583cc maxi-scooter, back to an 865cc cruiser, and then to my current 1597cc bagger. I'm not sure "outgrown" really was the best word to describe my desire for a change, or if I just wanted something new and different.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Never.

The moment you think you've mastered it and move on, you discover something you haven't learned that, with additional weight and power, can bite you in the ass.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I would say that you outgrow/move up bikes, when and if the bike no longer does what you "need" it to. I first got a Honda twinstar 200cc, thought I would only want to ride around town. Didn't take long for me to want to upgrade. I wanted to get out on the highway, ride to work, take a motorcycle vacation!! The Honda 200cc is a great little bike, I still have it, but it cant do what I
"need" it to.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I would say that you outgrow/move up bikes, when and if the bike no longer does what you "need" it to. I first got a Honda twinstar 200cc, thought I would only want to ride around town. Didn't take long for me to want to upgrade. I wanted to get out on the highway, ride to work, take a motorcycle vacation!! The Honda 200cc is a great little bike, I still have it, but it cant do what I
"need" it to.
Having the right tool for the job at hand is the important part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was a brand new, never touched a bike until the MSF course rider and I outgrew my Yamaha Virago 250 within 4 months. My boyfriend having previously rode before (a sports bike) got his license again when I did but got a Honda Shadow 750 and still loves his bike, although he misses a sports bike and is considering one now. It's up to what you feel like you can handle. My upgrade is going to be small, from a 250 to a 750 but some folk like going way bigger.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts