Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't wait to get them installed on the racer! It turns out 4 into 4 straight pipes don't pass inspection easily anymore, even baffled.

Set of 4 into 2 cocktail shakers are on the way. These have an actual "muffler" so hopefully it should take care of that issue.

Can't wait to see them and get them installed! I love it when new toys are on the way!

·
6,509 Posts
Fantastic!

If the EPA and the original manufacturer's have their way, only the original parts will be approved for replacement.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Can't wait to get them installed on the racer! It turns out 4 into 4 straight pipes don't pass inspection easily anymore, even baffled.

Set of 4 into 2 cocktail shakers are on the way. These have an actual "muffler" so hopefully it should take care of that issue.

Can't wait to see them and get them installed! I love it when new toys are on the way!
If they're like the ones I'm thinking of, they should look pretty damm good!

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,226 Posts

Now, if it was 4-4 with expanded mufflers, like my Cobras on my V-Max, those would probably pass. There were numerous places which would not pass my Shadow because it had straight pipes, even though they were baffled, and were a good deal quieter than many legal systems.

What do you have for a bike again?

Also, you'll possibly see an improvement in the top end of the RPM range. I lost top end scavenging when I went to my 4-4 Cobras

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Only down side I see is if those new pipes come with a stamp in the metal that says off road use only. If you get a periodic inspection they can just read those words and fail you. Every after market I have ever seen had that stamped into them in recent years.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just like every other aftermarket system, Oldman - non OEM.

BD, this bike is a 78 CB750F with a big bore kit, a web cam, and some carb work.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Just like every other aftermarket system, Oldman - non OEM.

BD, this bike is a 78 CB750F with a big bore kit, a web cam, and some carb work.
I think we actually agree. Almost any after market is going to fail an inspection. I thought you deserved to hear that before spending big bucks.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I know we do. It's really funny how there's a billion dollar industry built around products that are technically not supposed to be used. (And most of them work as good or better than OEM.)

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
All these people living in a state that has inspections for motorcycles. That would drive me crazy too!

No motorcycle inspections, no noise restrictions, one less headache Jersey riders don't have to deal with.

·
FTW ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌
1,691 Posts
Don't forget ordering new gaskets for your new pipes. Some will say using the OE ones will be just fine and save a couple of dollars. Don't be the guy who want's to save $2.00.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kaz, I buy them by the dozen.. You're right, always replace them! Nothing worse than an exhaust leak when you're ready to go test your new pipes!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sneak Peak: Left side is mocked up. I need to work out some bracketry which doesn't look too ugly, but I like them so far!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
All these people living in a state that has inspections for motorcycles. That would drive me crazy too!

No motorcycle inspections, no noise restrictions, one less headache Jersey riders don't have to deal with.
Yeah, l agree...the only real headache that comes with riding in New Jersey is...you're in New Jersey ;)

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Probably should have let it warm up a bit more first. :rolleyes:

I have two more gaskets, so I'm probably going to pull the right side off again and try to reset it more aligned with the left.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts