Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To avoid having to rent a truck: is it done to ask the seller to leave the plates on, so the bike can be ridden home once bought, and then mail the plates back to the seller? Or is that never done? Just wondering...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it also an option to leave it at the seller once purchased while you get temporary tags at the DMV and come get it like a day or two later? That one would make me uncomfortable...

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,521 Posts
I just ride them home, no plates. I do put insurance on before I pick it up though. If you already have a motorcycle with coverage most insurance will automatically cover a new purchase with the same coverage you carry on your other bike.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
i would never pay money and then leave an item with the seller. a friend of mine did this once and when he went to pickup the car the stereo was missing. the sellers reasoning was that he was beat down so bad on the price that he felt it was only fair to keep a part of the car that he wanted.

as a seller, i would not want someone riding my bike except on a brief test ride.

why not get a 1 day permit and ride it home ?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
You're riding them with no plates on? Isn't that illegal?
Technically...but really it's just home from the purchaser and I suppose it's possible you can get pulled over but with insurance and the title to the bike I can't see it being an issue. I've bought a lot of used cars and bikes since I turned 16 in 1984 and have always just ridden them home. If I was really far away , like in a diffet state etc. I'd get some sort of legal movement tag. I've also sold a **** load of vehicles since '84 and everyone did the same thing as I do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't even know that was an option... :-O That'd simplify things quite a bit... the two I'm looking at right now are a little far from me, 40-60 miles... actually one is in a different state (WV).

·
Registered
71 Posts
different jurisdictions do things differently ...
here, when you buy a vehicle you can go to an insurance agent and buy a 1 day permit so that you can get it home. in so doing you are insured and legal for that 1 day.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
This is something I have never understood about the east coast. Here, the plates are part of the vehicle and they belong to that vehicle only. You could never take a plate off one car or bike and put it on another.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
This is something I have never understood about the east coast. Here, the plates are part of the vehicle and they belong to that vehicle only. You could never take a plate off one car or bike and put it on another.
If by "here" you mean California, I think California is the only state that does that.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,928 Posts
FL the Plate goes with you Had this JAYLAST Tag on 3 Different Motorcycles .. Maybe this time on the Chieftain Might be True .. Time Will Tell :)

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts

As GatorJoe says, in "FL (and some other states) the plate goes with you." In CA plates stay on the vehicle except for personalized or handicapped plates. Those stay with the owner.

Removing the plates forces the new owner to go to the DMV and put the vehicle in his name. In many states, CA is one, some people don't bother. This sometimes has the last owner receiving notices to pay citations, fine, etc. for violations that the new owner has committed. The seller is required to file a "release of liability" with the DMV to remove his name from the records, but some don't.

·
Registered
71 Posts
further to what beemer dood is talking about ...

i once sold a rusty old toyota to a young kid. he wasn't quite 16 yet and this was his first car. the thing ran like a swiss watch so i am thinking to myself "smart kid, choosing a roadworthy vehicle over something that looks sweet but has serious mechanical issues".

the next night i get a call from the rcmp stating that my car was impounded, etc., told them i had sold it the night before ( i kept a copy of the signed transfer form as i always do. )
case closed on my end ... but what if he had taken out a baby in a stroller then ran as fast as he could and i had casually tossed away my copy of the transfer form ?

moral of the story ... when buying/selling a vehicle, keep the authorities happy ( paperwork done right ) or you may be keeping an expensive lawyer happy.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't know if it's correct, I'll check with the DMV (yay that should be fun!) but the seller I'm talking to right now says that if the DMV is closed, it's possible to ride the bike from place of purchase to your home with just bill of sale + title + insurance but without the plate.

Honestly it'd make sense, otherwise it's a freakin' nightmare, but I'll check with the DMV to make sure. Thanks all. For whoever ever checks this thread later: this is for MD.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.