Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, as you can see i'm looking for some insight on aftermarket exhausts. I own a 2014 Suzuki sv650. I just figured i'd get an aftermarket exhaust sooner rather than later so when I end up selling the bike I will have a practically brand new stock exhaust to sell with it. Anyway, I feel like the sv650 is somewhat quiet and i'm also fairly new to the motorcycle world and do not have a background in mechanics at all. I've been researching around and I found it kinda hard to find a exhaust for the sv650, I looked at two, the leo vince gp pro which I heard about on another forums and some scorpion one. I'm searching for one that sounds nice, but might bat and eye here and there with somewhat of a high pitched scream but not over the top. Any opinions or is the sound I imagine not possible for my make of bike haha. Cheers :)

·
Nightfly
4,042 Posts
Hey all, as you can see i'm looking for some insight on aftermarket exhausts. I own a 2014 Suzuki sv650. I just figured i'd get an aftermarket exhaust sooner rather than later so when I end up selling the bike I will have a practically brand new stock exhaust to sell with it. Anyway, I feel like the sv650 is somewhat quiet and i'm also fairly new to the motorcycle world and do not have a background in mechanics at all. I've been researching around and I found it kinda hard to find a exhaust for the sv650, I looked at two, the leo vince gp pro which I heard about on another forums and some scorpion one. I'm searching for one that sounds nice, but might bat and eye here and there with somewhat of a high pitched scream but not over the top. Any opinions or is the sound I imagine not possible for my make of bike haha. Cheers :)
You ask for it so you'll probably get a thousand opinions on this.
Try looking for something a little different. If you're just looking for slip on's the Akrapovic mufflers have a great sound and look. A good combination of performance and affordability, although they are not cheap. They do stand out from the crowd and have great build quality. They have more of a racing style sound.

·
American Legion Rider
20,060 Posts
You may also end up having to re-tune the bike. May or may not. It just depends how lean the bike is stock. You could be opening a can of worms especially if you try to go cheap rather than spend the bucks to do the re-tune correctly. Just a warning. Not saying it isn't a good thing at all.

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
Lots of Choices out there .. Just have to do a little research and find what Looks Good Sounds Good and Feel that the Price is Fair .. Once think you find some you like do a Thread to see what others that may have them think about them ..

·
So long
2,753 Posts
I guess you live in Canada since the 2014 SV650 is not available in the USA. Make sure you check local laws before buying.

If you decide to go ahead, try the Yoshimura TRS slip-on exhaust. Stainless is about $310. Carbon fiber is about $410.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hope you find one you like, but please don't get one that drowns everything out when you ride through town or a neighborhood.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I have an '04 SV650, so take this for what it's worth...mine has a Delkevic pipe and it sounds fantastic, but is not high-pitched at all, it is very throaty, like a Ducati getting its first blowjob

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I have yet to see an exhaust that is better than my stock one when it comes to torque or power. I see lots of much louder exhausts for my bike and sometimes they flow freely enough that peak horsepower is slightly higher, but who rides at those ridiculously high RPMs? I did take my bike in for some intake work and a tune but I still run a bone stock exhaust. This is a before and after for the new performance air filter, a Power Commander 5 and a tune on my bike. As you can see the exhaust was not at all a limiting factor.

I must admit that my exhaust, even though it is stock, does have a nice growl to it now when I open the throttle a bit. Yes, read the run numbers, it did take a few runs to get the dyno-tune done right. Each cylinder has its own tune and several throttle positions set up means just tons of runs. In this case it was 38.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I can't really say what the market is like for cruisers oldman47, but when l was looking for my bike it was all but impossible to find a sportbike or sport-touring bike that didn't have an aftermarket pipe job, and it was very troubling because my girlfriend has a medical condition where l could not have a really loud bike. My bike has a Delkevic pipe which is louder than stock but not what l would call loud at all, so it was acceptable. Were l to buy a new bike l probably wouldn't change the pipe. It just isn't that important to me.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
It is much the same for the Victory product line Hawk. Folks were all bragging about how well their bikes performed with a Bassani or another free flowing exhaust on my model bike. I am an old die hard that pays no attention to noise makers. The end result can be seen in my dyno results. A stock exhaust like mine makes good power without the loud exhausts.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You're lucky if you like the factory pipes on your bike. The ones Yamaha created for the Raider, IMO, are huge FUGLY hunks of chrome that weigh a ton, and LOOK like they weigh a ton. The factory pipes look like this: (they can look better/worse depending on viewing angle)

I loved everything about the Raider except for that horrid looking exhaust. So imagine my excitement when I was shopping to buy a bike and ran across a '09 Raider for sale that already had my favorite aftermarket exhaust (Vance & Hines) installed!! I have to admit that mod helped clinch the deal, as well as the rest of the bike was in amazing condition too.

The aftermarket pipes probably only add a couple extra horsepower, and I admit 90% of the reason I like it is for the looks, as well as the very impressive (but still not overly loud) exhaust tone, and finally they're just sooo much more compact than the huge bazooka tube cannons Yamaha decided to use.

Here's my bike with the Vance & Hines big radius 2-in-2 system

·
Premium Member
7,356 Posts
Enhaust

Usually the stock pipes are the best for keeping quiet, and making power.
Many systems will not improve the power and make more noise.
Yoshimura can make more hp, but you may need to get it retuned.
Which is best done on the dyno, by a competent person. Some like Nels in Seattle WA, can reconfigure your stock ECU. Otherwise you may need a power commander unit.
I have plans for a complete exhaust from Yoshimura for my SV1000, and a retune from Nels. If I get a 5 to 10% gain, it is a bigger number than the same percent for yours. We are aiming for 120 at the rear wheel for mine.
The engine in the smaller SV, runs smoother than mine. Nice bikes.
I like the brakes better on the smaller bike, and hey are nicer to ride in the twisties and around town.

Unkle Crusty *

·
Registered
245 Posts
Does a slip on exhaust do well for otherwise stock carbureted bikes? My Ninja 500R has that wonderful lawnmower sound and there is a set of exhaust tips listed for a similar bike near me that weigh much much less then the stock pipes (plus mine have scratches).

I'm trying to see if they are worth the 150 or so. They are the Yoshimura pipes or whatever brand that is carbon fiber look with the red logo.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Usually the stock pipes are the best for keeping quiet, and making power.
Many systems will not improve the power and make more noise.
Yoshimura can make more hp, but you may need to get it retuned.
Which is best done on the dyno, by a competent person. Some like Nels in Seattle WA, can reconfigure your stock ECU. Otherwise you may need a power commander unit.
I have plans for a complete exhaust from Yoshimura for my SV1000, and a retune from Nels. If I get a 5 to 10% gain, it is a bigger number than the same percent for yours. We are aiming for 120 at the rear wheel for mine.
The engine in the smaller SV, runs smoother than mine. Nice bikes.
I like the brakes better on the smaller bike, and hey are nicer to ride in the twisties and around town.

Unkle Crusty *
Hey UnkleCrusty, where is Nels' shop, and is it a full service shop? Right now l am so busy l really don't have time to think about doing my own maintenance and whatnot, and have been wanting to find a good shop.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMAIr1b_6oM

Personally I would consider buying used pipes, but not ones trashed up as bad as the one in the pic. Also they may not fit your bike? Even if the length and pipe diameter does fit your bike, you'll probably still have to buy a mounting bracket kit for it as well.
Thankfully I have access to a CNC, and the appropriate software :). I would love a nicer sound and some better looking pipes. The Ninja has limited exhaust options and most require a rejetting after replacement of pipes, so I may not even consider changing the muffler :).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts