Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loved travelling cross country and staying in my little Wal-Mart tent in "out of the way" places every night. For 3 years I got away with no problems in my little cheap tent.
Then one night, in Montezuma, Kansas a storm hit. For several hours I held the top up with my hands and the floor down with my feet. The wind blew the rain fly up, and the rain in through the netting on top.
Everything got soaked.
I still have that little $35 tent. The grandkids "camp out" in it, in the yard. I don't remember what I paid for my Apps Mountaineering tent, but it stays dry on the inside.
So, in my opinion, even if it costs more, and maybe doesn't pack as small, get yourself a good quality tent. Stars might shine when you go to sleep but...

·
Very Famous Person
9,840 Posts
--

I used to do a lot of things 50 years ago, too. Can't sleep on rocks anymore. I don't understand it. :crying:

--

·
Premium Member
7,611 Posts
I used to have a smaller cheaper tent. Probably left it in NZ. Just remembered we left the last one there two years ago.
But, about 12 years ago I needed a tent to go to Whidbey Island race week. Sail boat races. So I went to the outdoor store, and was looking at the smaller cheaper ones, when a Parkistani voice behind me said " I wouldn't be buying that one, they are not very good "
I figured here is a man with many relatives, who tents a lot. So with my new sales rep ( he was a customer ) we looked at tents.
I bought a quality tent for 3 to 4 people, that I could stand up in.
David, owner of the boat, also bought a new tent, and it was the same as mine. I asked him if he ran into the same Parki guy.
It blew so hard one night that the bows inverted, and a couple on David's tent shattered. Mine was okay. Still have that tent. It is a bit big for the bike, but I don't care. It is the right size for camping.

UK

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was afraid one of my corded (bungee?) tent poles would break in that cheap tent. In my new tent, maybe 5 years old now, when I got caught in a storm in North Dakota, the heavier made poles performed well.
That was the first storm I got caught in with my new tent. I was kind of expecting to get wet, but next morning all was dry inside.
When I crawled out, smaller tree limbs were all over the place and my bikes kick stand had sunk into the ground. It didn't fall over but it was leaning over a lot. Lesson learned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts