Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in discussion with a gentleman about purchasing a motorcycle. His price -- which I will not mention here for now -- seems VERY attractive to me, but I would like to hear any informed opinions as to what forum members might have as to its value.

The subject bike is a 1979 Honda GL1000 Goldwing. At 70,000 miles it was torn down for a rebuild and restoration. This consisted of just about anything you can think of -- complete engine overhaul; new water pump; cleaned and rebuilt carburetors; complete electrical overhaul including new stator, wiring, ignition, and lights; all new brake components; new shocks, forks overhauled; deluxe-quality repaint, including the Vetter hard cases and fairing; new tires; new battery; seats re-upholstered; and a bunch of other stuff. When I say the rebuild/resto was complete, I mean COMPLETE, all professionally done, and it is all documented. Since the restoration, it has been stored in a climate-controlled environment and ridden 5,000 miles over three long-distance trips with zero problems.

This bike would be a BIG step up for me, but it's well within my financial capabilities and might just be close to what I would consider my ultimate tourer, not one I would use as an everyday around-town bike but one I would definitely take on some long road trips and maybe even enter in an occasional show -- it's that nice to look at.

Maybe best of all, my wife, who a few months ago was a bit antsy over my getting back in to riding, thinks I might just ought to buy it!:surprise:

So -- what would a bike like this be worth, and what would be the potential pitfalls?

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
Our opinions don't matter, the one that does matter has spoken:

MRS. Oldenslow said:
Maybe best of all, my wife, who a few months ago was a bit antsy over my getting back in to riding, thinks I might just ought to buy it!
Now to put a price on it, no can do.

Reactions: ketchboy

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Can you post any photos?

Bunch of us GL folks here to help out!

·
Registered
272 Posts
It is worth whatever you are willing to pay. Do expect to sell it for a profit and all is good!
Please post pictures. As for concerns, it's a 79 and the downtime waiting for parts if or when something breaks would be my biggest concern!

·
Nightfly
4,605 Posts
Critter made the most astute observation, 'the one that matters has spoken.' You're asking others to give a value to something of which we have no personal investment. The value of something is always relative to a particular person, and is completely personal and different for each of us. Market value is fiction, nothing more than a rough guess of value put on an individual item.

The value of this motorcycle can only be determined by you and the amount you are willing to pay for it. Once you make the deal it is then you realize that the current value is not the price that you just paid, but rather the price you would realize on the bikes resale. It's what the next buyer is willing to pay you for the bike. No matter the deal, there is always the measure of hard cash.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I sorta figured those would be the answers I'd get. Looking at it another way, I don't think you could get all the restoration work done on the bike for the price being asked -- $4,000-- although if you had the time, talent, and parts sources you might be able to do it yourself on a budget like that.

Well, so far I am the only potential buyer, there's no particular rush, and a cooling-off period is never a bad thing. If I pull the trigger I'll post so many photos I'll probably get complaints on the forum!

Thanks for the input.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I would still love to see a picture if you could post one.

·
Vintage Rider
424 Posts
A good rule of thumb would be to double anything KBB says. NADA has top price at $5055 but down one step which is about the best you'll find is $2885 which seems about right for what you describe, especially considering the miles.

·
Read Only
685 Posts
Looks like you are on par!

CURRENT & HISTORICAL VALUES
View current vehicle values and see how they’ve changed over time in 3-year, 5-year and to-date intervals. Compare these values to other vehicles and benchmark financial indices.
Current Values
#1 Concours$8,000
Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."
#2 Excellent$6,000
#3 Good$4,000
#4 Fair$2,000
About Hagerty's Condition Ratings | About Our Prices

·
Premium Member
9,918 Posts
Ah, the formation of a contract, in this case the sale of a motorcycle. A willing buyer, and a willing seller, both of legal age, blah blah blah. Short version, whatever you both agree upon. I just bought a 96 Triumph Trophy 900, of which 1329 were made that year, with 37 going to Canada. Add mine from the US for 38. I went to a dealer who looked it up in the book. Did some research on the bike, visited the seller and made him an offer, payable in full as soon as he said okay. As part of the offer, was enough time for him to get my cheque cleared.

Mrs Snippets was in Japan at the time. This bike will be much more comfortable for her. We can communicate via wotsup. Here is the short discussion:
SS. You bought another bike!!!!! UK. The bears said it would be okay. SS. well okay then. The end.

If you keep the bike long enough, and it provides good service to you, the purchase price amortized over the years, gets cheaper every year.

Bon chance. UK

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,550 Posts
Love your conversation with Mrs Snipes, short and to the point. She knows you well.

·
Very Famous Person
10,004 Posts
--

We have no picture, but I would also consider whether it had full fairing, windshield, and full passenger seat and back along with luggage rack and/or rear box. These things can matter if you are considering traveling cross country on it. To do this on a relatively naked bike would be more difficult. Traveling with a passenger on the seat with no sissy bar or anything would not really be doable. It could be difficult to find these items to add if you wanted to later on. If not these items, then the bike might be pretty, but will just be a toy if you can't use it as you intend.

I'm not questioning the quality or longevity of the engine and work done on it or the rest of the bike. That part sounds very exciting.

--

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,918 Posts
In the end has to be Your Call Your Money .. Only 40 Year + Ride I would buy would be a Harley Pan Head for the simple reason I know how to wrench on it myself , anything else would pass on and more than likely even a Harley that old unless was truly in top shape for a low price ..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Solid bikes, well built, dependable, you can't go wrong. I have an '81 CB900 that I would ride across the states if I weren't so old and fat! And didn't have a 2004 Goldwing sitting in the stable..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.