Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a new rider [even though I've had my mc endorsement for 6 years] I am finally taking a serious look into looking for a road-worthy companion. It's taken me this long only because of moving and money issues.
I have to ask an opinion on a particular bike. It is a 1979 Yamaha XS650. From the pictures I've seen and what the seller has told me, it is a very good deal for the $1500 he wants for it. I figure because it seems to be a fairly popular old bike, it will have plenty available if it were to break and being that is has been used and hopefully not abused, it would be easier to suffer losses had I bought a newer or brand new bike.
Let me know what you think.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
That would be a decent model to learn on. As with any vehicle over 30 years old, expect it to have at least some issues and even extended down time as a possibility. Check it out very well and know exactly what you are getting into. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What all should I be wary of in that particular bike? It has brand new tires, and seems like a reasonable amount of adult upkeep has been had. I plan to ask him about the brakes and miles because those weren't mentioned in the ad. Is there anything big I'm missing?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts