Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride right now with a full-face scorpion helmet because I want my face to be protected in case of a spill. I've been looking around and found some cool looking open faced helmets with a face guard built in. How safe would these helmets be?

Example:

tachibana-helmet.com/products_lineup/shm_cycle_classics_legend/shm_with_face_guard.html

Heres a thread with a DIY option:

dotheton.com/index.php?topic=11205.0

(sorry, couldn't post the links as hyperlinks because of my low post count)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Better than none!

Anything will be better than nothing in front of your face! I like mine, so I have a modular helmet after I saw my buddy sand off his chin. A FF would be better, but I have a very hard time getting my glasses on with them.

So I am more at risk than a guy with his full face helmet, but a little safer that the guy with a 3/4 and a face shield. And he is better than the guy with just a 3/4 helmet, who is better than the 1/2 helmet and they are all better than no helmet.

You need something over your face and not just goggles. I have caught rocks and bugs just above them or my chin and at 60 MPH they hurt. I have a windshield that I ducked behind when a rock went bouncing down the Interstate. I went over top and clipped the back of my helmet, leaving a nice scar. I wonder what my face would have been like or if I would have kept control of the bike at 65 MPH?

Are they DOT approved? Take a look at the dirt bike helmets.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Personally I think they both look like ****. If you want, why not do an MX helmet and attach a set of snaps for the face shield/visor or do the dual sport helmet that lets the helmet run with visor only, shield only, or visor and shield.

Here's the Joe Rocket Hybrid that I picked up:

It's a compromise on the shield and all, but I wanted an MX helmet with a face shield - rain stings like heck, but a regular road helmet will fog up on harder hotter dual sporting days.

There are other dual sport helmets, do a search for dual sport helmet. The lower priced, but popular ones are the new Fly racing and AFX helmets around $100. I went for the Joe Rocket for about $150. I got mine at a dealer so I had no problem if it didn't fit right. They matched up with the on-line prices for me. Then there is the Shoei Hornet for around $350 and the Arai for near $600.

If you are dead set on some weird face guard, do it like the Cross Country and desert racers did in the 60s and early 70s pre-full face - put on an old style plastic face guard like these.http://www.sportslinkup.com/shop/0-football-face-guard-2-GALLERY.html

Find some old beat up helmet with the face guard style you want at some flea market or garage sale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
take cheek pads out of modular helmet

what would be the difference in a half helmet and a modular helmet with the cheek pads pulled out to provide cooler riding in the hot summer? safer, not safer, ???

·
Registered
59 Posts
what would be the difference in a half helmet and a modular helmet with the cheek pads pulled out to provide cooler riding in the hot summer? safer, not safer, ???
Cheek pads hold your head a little firmer. When testing the helmet fit a sales man should hold on to the chin gaurd and have you try to move your head. Too much movement is not good. I have the Scorpion Moular Helmet, also known as the Transformer EXO900. Sure it's hot when sitting at the red light, but I flip up the chin gaurd and I'm good. If you are still unsure, throw a cantelope to the ground at 40mph without a helmet, maybe this will help you decide ??

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks Andreas, I would not dare to ride without my helmetI appreciate the input!! Phillip P.
After reading my post - I guess my response or comment got away from me. Sorry.:smiley_mornincoffee early starts...
I like my half helmet once in a while, open highways - longer rides etc I would recommend the full helmet. I'm sure you'll find what fits you best. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ive been using the same skid lid since 1986, the year the state took away our choice.
It has not hit the ground yet.

Its all about situation awareness, not what bucket you have covering your head.

BTW I would NEVER wear a FF on the street. But then Im old, and have been on the street for over 40 years.

The last time I wore a FF, My front tire popped at 135mph, and the bucket hit the pavement and exploded into my face. So they are not the cure all, just a false sense of security.

Everyone of you swinging richards should always wear a helmet.
That you are comfortable with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts