Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having trouble keeping motivated to restore my Kawasaki KE100A barn find. A relatively big thing about me is that if I don't feel an emotional attachment to a bike, I'm not going to want to keep it. And that's where I was with the KE100A.

So I did the easy thing and got it running then posted it for sale. Didn't take long to get an offer that made me a little profit. The new owner is a member of my Gambler 500 Rally team and I trust he'll take good care of it.

Unfortunately, this left a motorcycle- sized hole in my stable. To fill it, I decided to get a bike I never experienced before: a real sportbike.

I saw a suspiciously cheap CBR600R F3 on Facebook for $1000. It was fully restored with new plastics, new wheels, new suspension, new bars, the works. These bikes in good used condition sell for 2 or 3 times this, let alone one that's been combed through. And on top of that he had a Honda dealer go through it up and down for a full tune. And he had the papers to prove it!

Why did it need the resto? The previous owner dropped it at low speed, but it was still bad enough to destroy so much.

But look at it now! I haven't seen a used bike this clean in...ever??

And between you and me, I may be a tad happy to have one less project and one more road ready toy. ;)

I wish the KE100A good travels, may it ring a ding ding for the rest of eternity!

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
You simply amaze me with your scooter finds Miss M. You might be young enough to deal with that riding position but I sure can't. I do hope you have many happy smiles with it though. Very good find!

·
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks you two! :) It runs buttery smooth. Only thing it needs is a new battery as that was one of the few things that didn't get replaced. Offered an even $1,000 and he was happy with that.

I do like the tasteful mods. Unlike my old Buell it's not going to wake up the dead and the new mirrors with turn indicators is a neat modern touch.

The owner's reasoning for pricing it so low is because he broke his wrist and wasn't willing to wait until spring to get rid of it. Whatever the reason, I'm very happy it wasn't as sketchy as it first appeared!

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I'm sure you checked the VIN with the title to make sure it all matches or isn't stolen. That's the stuff that I always worry about when something is priced really low. But you wheeling and dealing like you do, you must get that stuff check really early before the haggling starts I'm sure. Almost like a 6th or 7th sense with you Miss M.

·
Premium Member
10,063 Posts
In my shed is a mint 1980 XS1100 Yamaha. Has been there for about 2 years. Shirley's first husband purchased it new. I have the bill of sale. Larry died and gave it to me. It has been sitting since about 1992. I have had it running. I paid $500 to have the gas tank repainted. One of these days I will have it road ready. It will be a fine weather bike only. Later I will donate it to a bike museum.
I am slowly gathering new bits and pieces for Laramie.

UK

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Very cool find! Not sure if it's the same everywhere but the F-series does seem to sell at lower prices than similar year 600's. I found my '06 last May, with barely 8,000 miles on it, for $3000 even. The seller was the original owner, had service records, and threw in two Arai helmets, a nice leather jacket, and some tie down straps.

Congrats! Enjoy! Just remember to take occasional breaks and stretch your lower back! :smile_big:

Reactions: Miss Mercedes

·
American Legion Rider
26,421 Posts
I'm not supposed to envy but y'all are getting me very close. Such great deals. Sounds like your guy just wanted out completely Doc.

·
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Part of my method involves my line of work. Since I'm sitting in front of a computer for eight hours a day, five days a week, I basically have a Craigslist window open at all times. I'm surprised at how many good vehicles get priced ridiculously low because the owner just doesn't want to deal with holding on to it, the selling process, or because they need the money for something urgent. I got that restored GL1100 for $1k because the guy's son desperately needed to pay his deductible to get his car repaired and couldn't wait for the normal vehicle selling process.

I do a quick VIN check while the owner is showing me around the bike or beforehand if they'll willing to give up. Not sure how true the owner's story was, but it legally checks out so that's all that matters to me. I'm floored by how "new" this bike feels. Like, my GL1100 is in good condition and rides well, but it's clearly used. This bike feels and largely looks like it recently rolled off the dealership floor. I don't even want to know what the PO spent to get it in this shape.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,670 Posts
Great find and buy. It is a blank canvas that you can decorate anyway you want.

·
MOD / Rider / Mechanic
1,521 Posts
Good stuff Ms M glad your still enjoying doing but be sure you leave yourself time to ride them and enjoy them.

·
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great find and buy. It is a blank canvas that you can decorate anyway you want.
Part of what drew me to this one was the lack of stickers. I've never been about snazzy or aggressive decals on vehicles, and when I saw this clean CBR with only the appropriate Honda logos on the bottom, I immediately fell in love. The only additions I'm adding are the Honda wing logos in blue to put on the tank to match with the accents of the bars/levers.

Good stuff Ms M glad your still enjoying doing but be sure you leave yourself time to ride them and enjoy them.
Thanks! :)

And no worries, five bikes in my stable are ready for spring...just waiting for all this ice to go away! If I fix the carb in my scooter (I goofed up tuning it and stripped the bolts that hold on the throttle cable) I could actually start riding now.

Reactions: FlipFlop
1 - 16 of 16 Posts