Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad to say that my wife of over 50 years, who has been my riding buddy for so many of those years, told me that she thinks her riding days are over. She has had back issues for the last few years due to spinal stenosis, and getting on and off the back of the bike has been getting increasingly hard for her. She says she fears not only that it might be painful for her, but that her problems could easily cause her to make the bike and me fall over on its side. I told her I am willing to take that chance, but she said that come this Spring, and riding season beginning, I should assume that I will be riding solo. This all makes me sad as motorcycle rides are one of the few activities that we have truly enjoyed together. Many, many years ago we were both runners, and would run early in the morning several days a week. Knee issues and double knee replacement for me ended our running days. Then for awhile we would bicycle together, but after a bad fall she took on her bicycle she had no interest in ever riding a bike again. So for the last 10 years or so, riding the motorcycle together for short rides or day rides or even weekend long trips is what we did. My current bike, a 2016 Goldwing, was bought in large part because she found it the most comfortable of the bikes we tried (which included a Victory Cross Country Tour, a Harley Ultra Low and a BMW K1600). I guess this is all part of growing older. I'm 75 and likely have only a few years of riding left in me, but I plan on continuing until I can't hold a bike up or ride it safely. Now that I am to be riding solo I might move up the schedule for getting a lighter bike, especially since it is likely that I will not be making as many long distance rides as in the past.

And so it goes.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wife's pain!
My wife had Spinal Stenosis surgery last summer and it worked like magic. While it wasn't the quickest recovery as they led her to believe she is much better and rarely complains of pain. You can see the difference just watching her walk much more upright.
The Goldwing is a great bike something I would consider myself. I currently ride a Valkyrie known as a sport Goldwing. There are several upgrades I wish I had, all of which you have on your bike.
Enjoy each day, tomorrow is promised to no one!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sorry to hear that about your wife Vito, my wife doesn't ride with me nearly as much as she used to because of a bad knee and some various other aches and pains. When she does ride it's limited to Short trips.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
Sorry to hear of your wife's decision but I know you saw it coming as you have hinted at your limited time riding in the future:surprise:

I see my own enthusiasm waning and I don't get excited about riding like I used to. I have 3 wonderful bikes and I hate to say it but this last riding season, instead of my past 4,000 miles on each of my bikes other than the Burgman 650, I logged about 400 miles total.:surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise::surprise:

Why???? Business and my odd IT, ISP and computer responsibilities, my Farm work, Church work and the ever, instantly changing weather of SW Missouri has conspired against me:sad: I also have a year old Leather hobby that has turned into a small business endeavor so I guess it's my own fault.:sad:

Then there is HOT weather and COLD weather that stops me from riding sometimes.:plain:

I told my wife, who conversely has ridden with me all over the Country for many years and has no interest anymore, that I now consider myself a BIG WUSSY, when I don't even ride on the rare days of opportunity:crying: Maybe this is how this lifelong hobby will end: slowly but surely :plain:

The good news: As soon as MY 2014 Honda CTX1300D and my 2016 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom sells, I will buy my 86th new bike:grin::grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
On The Road Again!
4,204 Posts
Join the club, Vito.
My honey used to ride everywhere with me.
But the last few years, she has lost her enthusiasm for riding.
Why she'd rather just sit home is beyond me, but that's the way it is. She will still ride with me occasionally, but not nearly as much as she used to.
But I'm like you. I'll be riding 'til I can't hold the bike up anymore.
UNlike you, I can't imagine trading my Goldwing for anything else.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Yes getting old does suck. I've had a few full blown touring bikes (Goldwings and a Triumph Trophy). Myself, I've never liked riding two up, I've always enjoyed riding alone. It was kind of me time, my way of getting away from it all and enjoying the relaxation and thrill of riding. If I wanted to ride with someone (which I usually don't) I'd invite a buddy along with his own bike. If I want to do a little spirited riding, I wouldn't have the worry about a passenger if something went wrong. If I had a passenger, I couldn't & wouldn't do any spirited riding. My wife and I do other things together that she prefers, but we both enjoy our alone me times. I use to do Hazmat work (toxic site investigations) which required me to travel all the time to different sites all over the country. When I got home from a trip, we both really enjoyed being together again and appreciated each other considerably more. It definitely made our relationship much stronger and more meaningful when you're not around each other 24/7. All that being said, I understand different people have different personalities and traits, some enjoy being around someone all the time, some don't. If you've always ridden together, You might find that a little me time isn't all that bad (hopefully for you).

·
Visionary
5,269 Posts
Sorry to hear this , but I guess all good things come to an end. I know her having pain while getting on the bike is part of the issue but you could take the making you fall over part out of the equation with a trike, and she could take her time getting on too.. just a thought, it might be a way for you two to keep riding together.

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
That's really to bad vito. I know exactly how you feel. When I lost my riding buddy for 20 years it was like a huge part of my life was taken from me. I'd suggest a sidecar but that too might be too much for here pain-wise. But getting in and out(depending on brand) would certainly be much easier on her. I wish her good luck controlling the pain and hope you are able to ride and still enjoy and not have this missing item take too much from it. But I'd be willing to make a bet.:sad:

·
Registered
319 Posts
1. "and would run early in the morning several days a week. Knee issues and double knee replacement for me ended our running days."
Running is murder on your joints, but runners don't figure that out (and you can't convince them) until it's too late. They spend their life running to (at least partially) "stay in shape" while it's really wrecking their joint health for the last half of their life. Swimming is a much better option if you want a great, very low impact, daily workout. FYI, "experts" now believe that runners high is the same high, (in chemical terms within your body) as smoking Cannabis..put away the shoes and grab a lighter.

2. Let your wife be...she's been thinking this for possibly years...she has to be really scared to express it...never go against gut instincts involving motorcycling.

3. "Myself, I've never liked riding two up, I've always enjoyed riding alone." Yep...add a passenger and the bike acts totally different; and not in a good way. The only plus of passenger is that in considering their safety, I drive much more conservatively...that's probably saved me from a crash or two and few tickets.

4. "getting on and off the back of the bike has been getting increasingly hard for her."
SIDECAR!
You're not going to roll across the country in it, but a nice short ride on those perfect days would be better than nothing! You can really pad up and make side car seats much more comfortable than the back seat of most bikes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I never liked the way the bike handled with my wife as a passenger, but I enjoyed having her along.....especially after we got helmet intercoms. We did many day rides and several long camping trips on my bike but eventually the extra weight got to be too much and I tipped over in a parking lot. We both decided it was the end of two-up riding. I was in my mid 70s, though, and we had had a lot of good years on the bike. I now ride only solo and on a smaller bike.

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
If you aren't too vain you can always go with a trike. Knees in the breeze is the same on 2 or 3. I certainly will when the time comes. But I admit I'm currently fighting it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
wanna borrow my wife as a riding buddy?!?!?!? .......... i could use the peace and quite
on a serious note, that sucks!!!! you could always look into one of them new fancy things, i saw one during the summer that looked like a spyder but sat 2 people side by side and had car seats.......... my brother recently became unable to ride his bike due to age and multiple back surgeries, its been parked for 3 years. his birthday is comeing up, he doesnt know it but the reason my "spare parts pile" has grown is beacuse im collecting parts to convert his bike to a trike for him. Im hoping my experiance building back road buggies can give him suspension his back can handle.

·
Registered
172 Posts
A trike is not in the cards. When I can no longer ride on two wheels, I'm done, and vanity has nothing to do with it. A trike has the main disadvantage of a motorcycle......no weather protection......without the advantage of leaning in curves, and small, nimble size.

·
American Legion Rider
25,978 Posts
A trike is not in the cards. When I can no longer ride on two wheels, I'm done, and vanity has nothing to do with it. A trike has the main disadvantage of a motorcycle......no weather protection......without the advantage of leaning in curves, and small, nimble size.
I was just ribbing you McRider. I totally understand the no trike in the cards. I'm fighting it tooth and nail myself even though I've said on many occasions that exactly what I'd do if I can no longer handle my current land yacht. A trike is very near double the width of a bike. So believe it, I get it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
hey, if it gets my brother out on the roads more twisting the throttle i say bring on the trike!!!!! we cant predict our future health thankfully machanics have made a bike for everyone :)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,521 Posts
The shop that did all the engine work on my Solstice is now upgrading and hotrodding Slingshots. A supercharged Slingshot is a handful to drive/ride.

Reactions: Gungnir

·
Registered
28 Posts
handfull...... man, it be nuts!!!!!!! those things are already over powered. not my style, but i can respect the build designe!!!!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts