Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I took my bike out for a ride and on the way back it started to rain a bit. Luckily, I got home before it started hailing.

When I pulled the bike into the garage my LED's that I installed on the front and rear of the bike were flickering. I assumed it was from the water possibly shorting the lights. I turned off my bike and let it dry off.

Today, I figured that the lights would be back to normal since they should be dry but I was mistaken... So now only my headlight works. No red running lights, brake lights or my white running lights.

My turn signals work, but strange thing about my right one, is that when the bike is off, the front right one works only if not in a certain spot (I checked and doesnt seem to be getting shorted anywhere). When the bike is on, the right signal clicks once and is solid yellow but the left one works fine either way.

Thanks for the help as usual

·
Registered
92 Posts
So yesterday I took my bike out for a ride and on the way back it started to rain a bit. Luckily, I got home before it started hailing.

When I pulled the bike into the garage my LED's that I installed on the front and rear of the bike were flickering. I assumed it was from the water possibly shorting the lights. I turned off my bike and let it dry off.

Today, I figured that the lights would be back to normal since they should be dry but I was mistaken... So now only my headlight works. No red running lights, brake lights or my white running lights.

My turn signals work, but strange thing about my right one, is that when the bike is off, the front right one works only if not in a certain spot (I checked and doesnt seem to be getting shorted anywhere). When the bike is on, the right signal clicks once and is solid yellow but the left one works fine either way.

Thanks for the help as usual
here's the problem, if there was a short when the bike was wet, it doesn't go away when the bike dries. something arced (imagine wool socks and door knob) and that damage is permanent. i would start by checking fuses. they're the easiest to replace and troubleshoot. if the fuse did blow, just know there is a deeper problem somewhere that made the fuse blow. but yea i wouldn't write off it happening in the rain as coincidence.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here's the problem, if there was a short when the bike was wet, it doesn't go away when the bike dries. something arced (imagine wool socks and door knob) and that damage is permanent. i would start by checking fuses. they're the easiest to replace and troubleshoot. if the fuse did blow, just know there is a deeper problem somewhere that made the fuse blow. but yea i wouldn't write off it happening in the rain as coincidence.

GAAAAHH! So it doesnt look like any of the fuses are broken... But I only have found the main fuse and dont know where others are. I took off one of my led strips and tested it using a wall transformer and doesnt look like it works.

I will try another one later but I even took off my rear tail light bulb and tried to use my multimeter to test the resistance and its all over the place so not sure what to take away from that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
GAAAAHH! So it doesnt look like any of the fuses are broken... But I only have found the main fuse and dont know where others are. I took off one of my led strips and tested it using a wall transformer and doesnt look like it works.

I will try another one later but I even took off my rear tail light bulb and tried to use my multimeter to test the resistance and its all over the place so not sure what to take away from that.
hmmm. on mine the main fuses were under the seat and the others were next to the kick stand. usually i've seen a multimeter jump for two reasons, it wasn't making a solid connection or it was on the wrong setting. but i imagine if it's good it should only be 2-4 ohms and bad would be open, usually just read overload.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm. on mine the main fuses were under the seat and the others were next to the kick stand. usually i've seen a multimeter jump for two reasons, it wasn't making a solid connection or it was on the wrong setting. but i imagine if it's good it should only be 2-4 ohms and bad would be open, usually just read overload.
So I took off all my LED's and so that wasnt the problem, oh well.

The problem is a lose connection that I will probably have to re-install

1 - 5 of 5 Posts