Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there fellas,

I bought a Yamaha Virago 250 not too long ago.
(20.000km, year 2005)

I went for a little trip and after 150km the motor started to produce a very very high sound. I pulled over and waited till the sound died.
Thereafter I could not start the motor again. The engine made a klik-klik-klik sound. Thought I was out of fuel so I replenished, didn't help. I checked the fuses but everything seemed alright. Later I got a jump start and the motor ran again but when I tried to ride it, it died or went max. 15km/h.
Went to batteryshop and replaced battery. Motor runs again but only on 1 cilinder... Brought it to the mechanic but he does not really has a clue (ordered a wrong part, then another part which didn't fix the bike).Today he told me he thinks he has to replace the CPU(or ECU?) and that would cost me a gran.

I have a couple of questions about this.
- Do I have to pay the part he installed( +-350$) if it didn't fix the bike?
- I'd love to get rid of the bike now, how much would it be worth?
(Bought it for 2600 + brand new battery)
- Maybe I can salvage it and sell the parts?

Cheers,
Zorky

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
If the ordered parts weren't needed, you shouldn't have to pay for them. I'm not sure what parts they were. Do you know?

A non-running motorcycle is not worth nearly as much as a running one.

You may make more selling the parts, but be prepared for it to take a long time to get rid of them.

·
Visionary
2,944 Posts
I don't think you need to pay for something that didn't solve the problem, I think your mechanic is guessing and throwing parts at it, hoping to hit the right one. Poor mechanics will do that. It's your money he is wasting.

Before totally condemning the bike you might want to find a good mechanic and see if they can properly diagnose the problem, using logic and testing rather than guesswork, and then make a decision on what to do next. This could be a simple fix, or an expensive one, unless you find out the facts you can't make an informed decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the ordered parts weren't needed, you shouldn't have to pay for them. I'm not sure what parts they were. Do you know?

A non-running motorcycle is not worth nearly as much as a running one.

You may make more selling the parts, but be prepared for it to take a long time to get rid of them.
I think it was the carburator.
And the bike is running but just at 50%.
Does it damage the motorbike to ride on 1 cilinder only?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I think it was the carburator.
And the bike is running but just at 50%.
Does it damage the motorbike to ride on 1 cilinder only?
I wouldn't trust that mechanic. Carbs can be cleaned instead of replaced, as any first-month mechanic school student should know. The only reason to replace one would be for physical damage.

It's not going to be good for the motorcycle to run it on one cylinder for any length of time. Damage could result.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Ya, unburned gasoline washes the oil film away from the cylinder walls, wearing things badly. Also rough on head gaskets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks alot guys!
Last questions,

Would it be easy to sell the motorbike in a city like Perth, Australia?

Howmuch would you pay for the motorbike if you knew that I bought it for 2600$ , installed a new battery and a new carburator. The frontwheel needs replacement soon but backwheel is new. 21000km, Yamaha Virago 250cc year 2005. Only 1 cilinder working.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think the biggest thing that will kill its value is that it only runs on one cylinder and you are not for sure as to what is wrong with it. If you are not interested in doing the repairs at all, and just want to get out from owning the bike I think your best bet would be to try to get it into a reputable mechanic, have him diagnose the problem and write something up that you can show to potential buyers describing what is wrong and what repair(s) are needed. It will probably cost you a bit, but will be worth it over trying to sell a bike that only runs on one cylinder without a clear determination on what is wrong.

·
Ace Tuner
1,736 Posts
^^ I agree.
With no idea of what's wrong, it would be a huge gamble for a potential buyer making it worth very little.
You gotta find a mechanic that knows his business.

·
American Legion Rider
18,599 Posts
Before you get total out from under it, try replacing one or both spark plugs. With all the cranking you must have done, a plug could very well fouled. You would only be out a few bucks and if might be all that's wrong with the one cylinder. It still bothers me that it produced a high pitch sound. Low on oil? Or something else deep inside?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts