Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got done with everything early yesterday, because I wanted to join a group of motorcyclists down in Tennessee for a Meet-n-Greet.

I gassed up my bike and hopped onto I-65 south. At first it was fast, but then I hit the traffic. Stop, and go ... and stop, and crawl.

I finally got off of the Interstate and drove the last seven miles on side streets. My PC/GPS helped me find a route through what looked like a rather .... impoverished ... part of town. I didn't want to stop for anything.

WHEW! I finally arrived! 58 grueling miles of rush hour traffic. I thought I was going to be about ten minutes late. Instead, ...

I was a week early. :coffeescreen:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
So I got done with everything early yesterday, because I wanted to join a group of motorcyclists down in Tennessee for a Meet-n-Greet.

I gassed up my bike and hopped onto I-65 south. At first it was fast, but then I hit the traffic. Stop, and go ... and stop, and crawl.

I finally got off of the Interstate and drove the last seven miles on side streets. My PC/GPS helped me find a route through what looked like a rather .... impoverished ... part of town. I didn't want to stop for anything.

WHEW! I finally arrived! 58 grueling miles of rush hour traffic. I thought I was going to be about ten minutes late. Instead, ...

lol, maybe rush hour traffic won't be so bad next Friday.

·
7,777 Posts
The absolutely worse place I have ridden in is Nashville, TN, on the Interstate in rush hour traffic. I always plan my rides around prime time traffic patterns no matter where I go.

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts

:coffeescreen::coffeescreen::coffeescreen:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
That was, at least, a good "dry run" for the next trip! Gives you a chance to plan any detours that you might like, to avoid areas that you found to be uncomfortable.

Generally speaking, a person on a bike, is more intimidating that riding thru that same area in a BMW. Just watch out for trash on the road, is all!!

-Soupy

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,136 Posts
LOL @ Joe. Hate it when that happens

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The absolutely worse place I have ridden in is Nashville, TN, on the Interstate in rush hour traffic. I always plan my rides around prime time traffic patterns no matter where I go.

Sam:coffeescreen:
Jeez Yes, it is Godawful !
We left our friends in Ohio & set off, to visit friends we used to meet while sailing the Caribbean
They had built a house in Del Rio, almost on the border of North Carolina, in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park.
Got into Nashville, then had to find the interstate to Knoxville, it was a nightmare !

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Hey, at least you weren't late! Maybe this will give you time to find a better route for next week.

·
Driftless Rider
1,485 Posts
That's hilarious!! Maybe not so funny yet, but it will settle.:icon_cool:

A few years ago, I spent 3 months working 12 hour days, 6 days a week (mon-sat).
I awoke one morning 10 minutes before I was supposed to be at work (it was a 30 minute commute.)
I leapt our of bed, threw on a pair of pants, a t-shirt and grabbed my boots. Running downstairs, I stuffed a granola bar in my mouth, splashed some water on my face and hopped in the Jeep. I raced through town, still half asleep and wondering why traffic was so light.

Then the guy on the radio mentioned it was SUNDAY.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
So here's an interesting observation.

In MOST of the cities where I ride/drive, if traffic slows below, say, 19 mph it becomes STOP=-AND=-GO.

Very annoying for those of us with manual transmissions!

In San Jose / Santa Clara, where the average IQ is probably WELL above most cities (Silicon Valley)

Drivers KEPT traffic rolling down to as low as 9 mph by leaving slightly bigger following distances, letting off the gas sooner, hypermiling, whatever you want to call PAYING attention...

·
American Legion Rider
21,841 Posts
Are you talking about El Camino Real? When I left the lights were timed. It wasn't so much they are leaving more space, they just knew that if they got through one set if you continued at the same speed you'd get through most lights. Smarter? They are after all living like sardines in their little can aren't they.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts