Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've loved riding since even before I started riding. Although a motorcycle never actually crossed my mind as a teenager, unlike a lot of you, I started to get the urge in mid 20's. But life got in the way and I didn't start riding until I was 40. But I've now been a rider for 35 years and hope to keep riding until I am on the brown side of the grass. Just riding is a always a thrill. My wife doesn't really understand that I can go out for an hour's ride on the same roads over and and over and never get bored because I am RIDING! I feel the years slip off me as soon as I put the bike in gear and twist the throttle, and the years stay away until I start getting off the bike and my bones, muscles and joints remind me I am 75 and have put this old body through a lot of ****. But today while riding I was reminded of one of the real special things about riding a motorcycle. Moving along at speed on this hot and humid day, I came to a spot where the road dipped down into a sort of valley that is heavily shaded with big trees. As the delicious cold air poured over me, it felt like I had just dived into a cool and refreshing lake. Maybe 7 or 8 seconds later I was back in the hot sun, but that 7 or 8 seconds is something that most people that only drive cars never experience. I was only out riding for about an hour and a half, covering 72 miles, but it made this a very good day indeed.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I've loved riding since even before I started riding. Although a motorcycle never actually crossed my mind as a teenager, unlike a lot of you, I started to get the urge in mid 20's. But life got in the way and I didn't start riding until I was 40. But I've now been a rider for 35 years and hope to keep riding until I am on the brown side of the grass. Just riding is a always a thrill. My wife doesn't really understand that I can go out for an hour's ride on the same roads over and and over and never get bored because I am RIDING! I feel the years slip off me as soon as I put the bike in gear and twist the throttle, and the years stay away until I start getting off the bike and my bones, muscles and joints remind me I am 75 and have put this old body through a lot of ****. But today while riding I was reminded of one of the real special things about riding a motorcycle. Moving along at speed on this hot and humid day, I came to a spot where the road dipped down into a sort of valley that is heavily shaded with big trees. As the delicious cold air poured over me, it felt like I had just dived into a cool and refreshing lake. Maybe 7 or 8 seconds later I was back in the hot sun, but that 7 or 8 seconds is something that most people that only drive cars never experience. I was only out riding for about an hour and a half, covering 72 miles, but it made this a very good day indeed.
YES! Just turned 50, only been riding a little over a year, but hitting that pocket of "cool" or an overwhelming scent (the good kind) is truly amazing! Getting stuck behind a rendering or livestock truck? Not so much... :smile_big:

·
Registered
607 Posts
... Moving along at speed on this hot and humid day, I came to a spot where the road dipped down into a sort of valley that is heavily shaded with big trees. As the delicious cold air poured over me, it felt like I had just dived into a cool and refreshing lake. Maybe 7 or 8 seconds later I was back in the hot sun, but that 7 or 8 seconds is something that most people that only drive cars never experience...
Ain't it the truth, Vito! I try to describe that to folks who've never ridden, and they think I'm nuts. But when I describe it to folks who did ride, and quit years ago, they get a real wistful, blissful look and sigh, "Yeahhhh….."

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,519 Posts
Went out in the little car with the top down (1st time since surgery) since I can't ride until next year. I know exactly what you are talking about as I hit a cooler valley in the shade of trees as well.

Reactions: Porky and FlipFlop

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've been riding steadily for over 55 years now and I still enjoy the feeling of be "out in the open" I just love those cool evening rides in the country after a sweltering hot summer day. Long trips and thousands of pictures from scenic back roads and off the beaten trail. Since coming up with my trike versions I enjoy a mild version of my dirt riding days but now just gravel back roads. I go where no man has gone before :) or something like that. To me bikes are like children each different but I love them all.

·
2009 Ninja 500r
1,505 Posts
Over the holiday had a friend for a riding buddy and she never rode on a dressed bike before or at night and she had a very magical moment with the cool air and the warm air mixing. We rode almost 3 hours straight 9p to midnight, mix of interstate and county roads, and it was amazing and for me it was also a joy to see someone has such a wonderful new experience. Little things for sure!

·
American Legion Rider
25,975 Posts
And if you ride long enough and pay close enough attention, you can taste different air changes. Told that to my wife and she thought I was crazy until one day, bingo, in very quick temp change she said over the CB, "I just tasted my first air change". It happens but you have to pay attention.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,140 Posts
On our first Motorcycle vacation, on our new 1974 K4 750 Honda, we left in the middle of June from our Home in Southern Calif in route to our destination in Carthage Missouri, where we now live. It was 1,600 miles, mostly on Interstate 40, I 35 and I 44, the old 'Route 66,' that I'd been on many, many times before in my Parents car and once by myself in my own cage.:smile:

The first day, we made it to Albq, NM, 750 miles and experienced 115 degrees in Needles, CA and very cold temps from Williams to Flagstaff, AZ and then better temps into Albuquerque. We left CA at 5 am and arrived in our Motel at midnight, totally exhausted and slept until checkout time!

Why did it take so long? The new National 55 MPH speed limit and the inaccuracies of Japanese speedometers being 5 mph optimistic at 55.:surprise:

On the remaining 850 miles into our destination, I rode from 2 pm until we arrived at 6 am and watched the rising Sun as we rode East.:smile:

During this trip, especially the ALL NIGHT part, we experienced such amazing differences in 'perceived' temperatures and humidity levels, that in just the slight elevation changes in Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri, it made us want a thicker coat and then a lighter one or no coat at all:surprise: Smells YES:plain:

6,651 miles and 2 weeks later, we arrived at Home back in CA, after touring the LONG way back:wink2:

Smells: Owning a Farm and living in Rural Farm country, one is always aware of the smells of different crops, flora and fauna and especially cut and harvested hay. Getting stuck behind a cattle truck carrying Beeves on the way to the stock yard and 'leaking' a smell right from hades is no fun at all:surprise:

Sorry Vito, you know I am quite verbose when I opine:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
So long
2,739 Posts
@vito I enjoy those shaded dips in the road where the air is noticeably cooler. It's a real treat to ride through. The same is true of ocean breezes. You'd round a corner and there it is, all of a sudden. It's a great feeling.

@Porky I'm with you on the smells. Fresh cut hay, pine trees, the ocean, fresh bread as you pass by a bakery. Went by a carnival once and the smell of cotton candy made me feel like a kid again. Actually, I feel like a kid all the time.

·
Biker
1,624 Posts
I can't tell you how content I was when I got that Snorty1200 running the way she was supposed to, riding over the
Sky--way Bridge or through the back of Plant City south on rte.39 into the back of Bradenton then east to 301,
picking up 275 and North over the Sky-way miles an miles of farm land cows horses, old trucks and older barns
railroad tracks here an there, just ambling between 40 to 60 mph. Sometimes I's even see someone in a cage.

I have actually learned more about various routes in the area AFTER I started riding and yes, many don't really
understand what is so great about the same ride over an over just cuz it's on a motorcycle, Thing is ya gotta have
a number of different rides you like taking, and if you have two bikes and have 7 different rides, would that give a
total of 14 rides? Over here in St.Pete we have some main bridges, like Gandy, Howard Franklin. Campbell causeway,
Bayside and the Sunshine Skyway Br. so I have a few different bridge rides, the longest being 125 miles or so, that is
going East over the Gandy to Westshore blvd to rte. 275 then south over the H. Franklin str8 down to the Sky-way
where I pick up 75 North and on up to 4 West through Tampa to 60 West and down the Bay-side br. on rte. 611. This
is nicer on real hot days as you get a bit cooler by the water.

And of course going on a new ride like N on rte. 19 will go up to Crystal river, or mixing hi-way with off hi-way like
going through Tampa on 275 to 75 North to 54 West to 19 south, between the rides you have now and the new rides
you come up with, yeah it's all good.

·
Driftless Rider
1,554 Posts
Yes, and the cool mist from a slightly foggy morning on a country back road.:icon_cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feel the same. I will go out for just a 15 min ride sometimes. I’ll make an excuse to run to the drug stor or Walmart. J

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
When it's hot and humid here, I head West to the mountains. One evening I was looking for a spot to put up my tent for the night. I was riding a 2 lane road in the northern part of New Mexico and there were a lot of big pine trees. A light scent of vanilla was in the air.
I found a great place to put up my tent right near the Pecos River, which was much colder than I expected. That night, in my tent, I was as comfortable as if I were sleeping under an air conditioner. I had gone North and South of that place a couple of times before. I hope I can find it again someday but if I can 't, there are other discoveries to be made.?

·
Banned
87 Posts
Wow, what a great post! Well written, evocative, and it captures a slice of what our obsession is all about. You put words to what many of us feel and have not successfully delineated. I will be watching for further posts from you. Oh and on a ride a few weeks ago in some very twisty mountainous country we had an 84 year old whipping around on his big Harley having a ball and having no problem keeping up. So here is to many more years of you enjoying your bike! Again, thanks for the post.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For me, it's all those things you guys have shared plus one. The focus! Riding a motorcycle makes you focus. On the road. On the surrounding traffic. On the driveways and ditches and everything in between. For me that focus takes away the worries of the day and allows me to free my mind and plug in to what is truly important in this life. I could ride the same road a thousand times and still love every square inch of that well worn and traveled asphalt.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
As I get older I find that occasionally someone says how I am their "role model" by still being a rider at my age, and hoping that they can do the same. It always brings a smile to my face to hear that, because my "role model" is that guy in Italy that was featured in a YouTube video a year or so ago, who at 91 rides his Hayabusa daily. Part of what is so special about riding a motorcycle is the anticipation of rides to come. As the years go on there are truly less and less things that I get me excited for the future. Yes, it is great to see the grandchildren growing up (I have 3 already in college and 9 younger ones) but that is also a reminder that I am getting closer to the end of the line. Just recently I made the mistake of Googling the names of some long ago good friends from my early days in the Army, and of six that I tried to locate, five are already deceased. So looking forward to the next good ride is about as good as it gets for me now. And as I wrote about in another thread quite awhile ago, every once in a while the conditions are just perfect for that truly special ride. I mean like getting up early and starting the bike on a warm summer's Sunday morning. The sky is blue and not a wisp of wind. The world sparkles but is quiet, as most people are still sleeping or just getting moving on this Sunday early morning. The bike works perfectly as I take the curves on tree shaded country roads, with the sun breaking through the foliage and the sound of the engine like music in my ears. And in contrast to the peace and quiet of the countryside, every once in awhile I come upon a somewhat slow moving vehicle on the quiet two lane road and get to accelerate up to 80 or 90, getting the adrenaline pumping as I pass the slower vehicle and then settle back into my easy pace. Those kinds of perfect rides only happen rarely, but when they do I find I am feeling that truly, life doesn't get much better than this. And being a rider, even though I am getting old, and the body doesn't work as well as it once did, not only can I still have those rides, but I still have the joy and excitement of dreaming about the next time I get to ride the really "perfect ride".

·
Premium Member
9,867 Posts
My Island is a good length to go up Island for coffee, and return. About 12 miles each way. A trip of around 70 miles on the big island, gets me to the big city of Victoria, or the Pacific Ocean at Ucluelet or Tofino. The ocean trip has many twisty bits.
Ran the Triumph today, for the first time this year. I will take Noddy to the mainland soon. That is mostly freeway stuff.

UK

·
Registered
8 Posts
Iam 70 years old this year and I can say that riding my bike makes me feel like a teenager.Been riding since I was 15 and nothing makes my adrenalin flow like riding my bike.I have to say when I get on my Suzuki c90 iam in a world of my own.And lets face it when we are out riding some people think we are crazy and many envy us.A guy the other day said to me I don't understand why you guys ride those things and then he said why do you.My answer was the same as usual if I tried to explain it to you you would not understand any way.Out of all my hobbies nothing will ever come close to riding my bike.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts