Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my left hand ten years ago, please help me ride again. I have a Honda nighthawk 650. That's what I'm comfortable starting of with again. Anyone know of any configurations for the clutch? That's the only thing I have to figure out, I can work everything else's. Anyone willing to help I'd be so grateful.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
1,877 Posts
Maybe something like a rekluse auto clutch. Once set, they work great!

·
Nightfly
4,370 Posts
Do a little research, there are motorcycle companies that are making bikes with automatic transmissions. That should take care of your problem and good luck my friend...

·
On The Road Again!
3,513 Posts
Joshua, you need to watch this video about a hero of mine, Alan Kempster.
Welcome to the forum!

·
Very Famous Person
9,875 Posts
--
For a clutch pull, maybe a wire pulled with a twist of your lower arm would compress it.

Some of the new Gold Wings are clutchless. Some levers might need to be pushed, but it might be doable.
--

·
Moderator - Motorcycle Repair, Building, Restore
3,933 Posts
Kudos to you for sticking with it man. Without prying, can I ask how much of your arm was taken from you? I once knew a man with a prosthetic hand that had a clamp of sorts on it...when he reached out it opened, when he pulled back it closed. He could write, hold a cup of coffee, do a lot of basic things with it.

I also know a logger in Twisp that lost his arm to a Douglas Fir and he can still fall trees. Go for it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
There's a dual lever control available that might work for you:

If both are hydraulic, it's also possible to configure front and rear brakes to operate from a single control lever via a "proportioning valve". This is often a feature incorporated into modern ABS systems, and of course, cars work this way.

I also had an idea that I haven't seen done, but shouldn't be too technically difficult to implement. How about adding a heel lever on the brake side, so that braking is done with the toe, and clutching with the heel? One could possibly even do both at once by creating extra wide pads, or extra narrow foot peg, such that the foot could be moved off the peg to the right, and simultaneously press both clutch and brake levers.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum!

·
American Legion Rider
22,485 Posts
Reactions: Porky

·
8,048 Posts
Welcome to a great forum but please comply with the following:

I suggest a SCOOTER: All of them are CVT automatics, in other words just twist the throttle and go. The front brake is in the same place on the right side of the handlebar.

You would have to research a little bit starting with GOOGLE and then follow links and I'm sure you will find some with a FOOT BRAKE near the right foot area.

As Johnny said, they are using proportioning valves that are adjustable in order to make just one lever affect both front and rear brakes.

By the way, MAXI scooter's aren't slow and my Suzuki 650 Burgman, would be maybe a few bike lengths behind you in a quarter mile and maybe 5 mph off your bikes top speed---all with just a simple and smooth rush of power.

Honda has some great 700 and 750cc DCT automatic bikes and they are very popular, inexpensive and reliable too and don't look like a Scooter!

Sam:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I lost my left hand ten years ago, please help me ride again. I have a Honda nighthawk 650. That's what I'm comfortable starting of with again. Anyone know of any configurations for the clutch? That's the only thing I have to figure out, I can work everything else's. Anyone willing to help I'd be so grateful.
sorry to hear your story. It doesn't compare to you, but i lost my middle finger on my left hand 10 yrs ago and was devastated bc I could not work my clutch and sold my bike. I struggled how to fix this so i could ride and thankfully 6 yrs ago i found someone that was able to soften my clutch by changing springs in side of motor and making me a longer clutch handle. I have been back to riding since. Please keep looking for someone to help you with this. I was told i might possibly be able to have a "slip" clutch and it would be like an automatic bike but not sure if thats true. Hope you get to riding soon.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Maybe one of the Honda's with a dual clutch transmission. Kind of automatic, without a clutch but you can still shift.

·
American Legion Rider
22,485 Posts
Hit and run poster? 6 days go by and no more posts? Maybe he lost the use of the other hand now as well. It could happen.:(

·
On The Road Again!
3,513 Posts
I'm always amazed at the number of people who post once
here and we never hear from them again.

·
8,048 Posts
It is sad really as most of we "regulars,' try our best to be helpful and take lots of time and even research to give them good info to their questions and then we never hear back from them. o_O

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,460 Posts
Maybe we didn't give him the answer he wanted.

·
8,048 Posts
But then on the other hand________.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Wonder where he was from? Had a U.S. flag by his avatar, but it's kind of a big place, he could have narrowed it down a bit more if he wanted someone nearby to help him.

·
8,048 Posts
IP address shows Oakland, Calif a suburb of San Francisco.

·
American Legion Rider
22,485 Posts
IP address shows Oakland, Calif a suburb of San Francisco.
Both are ghettos these days so who knows what could have happened to him.

Reactions: Porky
1 - 20 of 20 Posts