• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what do your carry on YOUR bike for "defensive purposes?"

I decided to stick my spray bottle of dog repellant (MACE) in my glove box on my Kawasaki.

Funny story. I found it laying on the ground a decade ago when I used to bicycle a lot. (100 miles/week or more). Figured a mailman had dropped it.

So this one road, there was an aggressive dog that ALWAYS came off the porch after me. Id always approach slow, and then as he came off the porch and got his trajectory set, I'd pour it to the pedals and leave him behind.

so THIS day, armed with MACE, I practice squirting mailboxes, signs, etc on the way over to where the dog lives. You have to adjust for speed, wind, etc. Not as easy as you might think.

So I get over to the road where this mean dog lives, ready to give him a faceful. I pedal at a constant speed, a relaxed pace, make it easy for him. He lifts his head, looks up, and puts it right back down.

DAMMIT!

Dogs have a sense of smell like 10,000 times better than ours, all I can figure is he smelled the MACE residue from all my "practice" on me and knew better.

He never came after me again, lol.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I don't carry anything, the best way to fight is to avoid one. Lets face it, on a bike we are at a disadvantage in most cases, so for me I avoid confrontations especially with cages.

·
Lead Astronaut
405 Posts
I have to agree, as a long time bicycle rider, avoidance tends to be the best bet. If I use anything on a car or someone else, chances are I'll get arrested for it. Plus I can't imagine someone rushing me on my bike and I have time to free up my hands and pull out whatever defense tool I want, unless I carry it in a holster or something.

Not that I haven't driven my sidi shoes in to a few door panels in my time *cough*

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I just carry my empty hands - karate.
Karate vs cage or gun, gee who will win?

It would also look better in court if the prosecution did not bring in a bunch of posts that you had made in the past bragging about your weapons and willingness to use them.
That is an excellent point, and one a DA would use in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I'm thinking that maybe the best defensive weapon to have is a camera....I'm talking about a still camera here, not a video camera...too many people make the mistake of making a video of themselves riding like idiots and then posting them on youtube lol

·
Fresh Meat
35 Posts
One deterent to avoid

That's a funny story about the mace and dog. I have another one.

I started my bike/dog tactics as a crazy mixed up grade school paperboy. There was one dog I could always count on to come snipping at my feet on my bicycle. Sometimes he seemed so vicious I would get off the bike and roll it along as a shield as I walked on the other side. I would turn around in circles keeping him on the other side. I proceeded up the road in a sort of corkscrew pattern. (They don't pay paperboys enuff). Of course I never saw the owners.

A brilliant deterent!: I don't know where I got the idea but I filled a spray bottle with BLEACH. Next morning, from behind my bicycle shield, I let him have it in the EYES.

The angry dog went into a rage and began biting the tubing, tires, cables...everything. So in addition to my corkscrew tactic that day I had to keep shifting my hands on the bike to avoid the teeth.

I still don't know if that was a good or bad thing. Certainly is was bad for the dog's eyes. But it was good that I never saw him again...or his owners.

·
"Young Grasshopper"
351 Posts
I ride pretty much only trail and that is litterd with rattlesnakes and evil tin cans, and since im 14 I cant carry my favorite .357, so for my birthday my mom bought me a ruger 10/22 takedown a nifty little semiautomatic rifle that will go in a non-descript backpack

·
Fresh Meat
35 Posts
Dog tactics evolved.

I guess this is still on topic: deterents.

Oh..the dog's house was on a steep uphill road. On the way back down I would test out just how fast I could make the bike go.

This evolved into my current dog deterrent while on a bicycle. If I see a psychopath dog ahead I begin winding up my speed just short of a heart attack. I aim straight ahead not at the dog until the last second when I turn and ride directly at the dog. This works well. While the dog is busy getting out of the way and recovery from his surprise, I have enough speed to escape.

I haven't had an opportunity to try this on my TU but may some day. These days I guess dogs are not as free to wander as they were in 1962.

·
6,987 Posts
I legally carry either a 2 shot 22 Mag derringer, a 38 snubbie revolver or a 357 Mag, 3 inch wheelgun.:)

A camera? A cell phone? A karate degree? Ha-ha-ha:):confused:

A crack or meth head with a 22 and a bad attitude will ruin ones day.
:mad:

Dopers are everywhere especially in meth cooking country.:frown:

Sam:)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It would also look better in court if the prosecution did not bring in a bunch of posts that you had made in the past bragging about your weapons and willingness to use them.:)
Way To Go... EYE.....:71baldboy: That is exactly why the Gunmakers had to stop giving their weapons dubious names like: Persuader, and went to numbers instead.

All You Fledgelings....Take Note......You will see this material...Again !
Hopefully not... at your trial ! Massad Ayoob Is Your Friend !

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Having Said that !
Can you imagine living, in Victorian Times.?
.32 cal Velo Dog
Specially designed cartridge, for Gentlemen, who wish to defend themselves against Vicious Dogs, while riding their Velocipedes.....
( As Bicycles were called, in those days ! )
:biggrin:

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
You're right about that, MG. You can have the prosecuting attorney hold up a black Remmington 870 "assault" shotgun with all sorts of tactical lights, lasers, pistol grips and accessories, or your attorney can hold up an innocent looking Remmington 870 Wingmaster dove hunting gun. Plus, the Wingmaster is a lot less money then the custom tactical beauty to be sitting for years and years and years in a police evidence locker.

And Massad Ayoob is a phony. But every now and then he's right about a few things. :)

·
So long
2,753 Posts
North Carolina is an open carry state. Here's how one guy rolled into a coffee stop last year.

Right view:

Left view (if you look close you'll see a holster in front of the instruments):

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I don't carry anything, the best way to fight is to avoid one. Lets face it, on a bike we are at a disadvantage in most cases, so for me I avoid confrontations especially with cages.
I am with Blaine on this one

I am a big second amendment supporter, but dont find the need to carry on the bike.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts