Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hector Barbera's Ducati caught on fire during Motogp practice at Aragon today. At the end of the clip he was clearly in a rush to take off the hot leathers.

This Summer BMW replaced my fuel pump on a warranty recall due to risk of fire. My bike is 7 years old and I'm the second owner, so I'm grateful that BMW keeps track of every vehicle by VIN and notified me. This is one case where using an authorized dealer pays off.

A bike on fire is a good reminder for riders to make sure we keep up with all safety notices and warranty recalls.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Link broke/blocked :(

Some designers must think it weird that bikes go around with gallons of gas mounted directly ABOVE a smoking hot engine, lol. It's almost surprising bike fires aren't more common.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, sorry Dorna Sports blocked the YouTube video.

You raise an interesting point. Some bikes have gas tanks in non-traditional locations. BMW's F800R and G650GS have gas tanks located under the seat and fillers located in the right rear side.

·
Premium Member
5,444 Posts
Most bikes had the tanks mounted high because the carburetors were gravity feed; fuel pumps are a relatively new addition (if you think ~30 years constitutes 'new'). The Suzuki VL1500 has a fake tank in the 'normal' position, because everyone expects to see one there; the actual tank is low, and between the rider's knees.

Heck, our '30 Model A Ford had the fuel tank directly in front of you, under the windshield. A little unnerving, watching gasoline slosh around in the gas gauge, right in front of you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts