Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, a noob question, I got good oil level readings when my bike is on the kick stand when keep it center by hand of course, but once I put it on the center stand, realize how bad the oil level actually was (very low), is it always a bad reading it when both tires are touching the floor?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi, a noob question, I got good oil level readings when my bike is on the kick stand when keep it center by hand of course, but once I put it on the center stand, realize how bad the oil level actually was (very low), is it always a bad reading it when both tires are touching the floor?

The best way to check the oil level is always to have both tires on the deck and not up on the center stand - use a friend to help if needed to hold the bike level (while on the ground with both tires) and view the site glass oil level. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Then put it on the centerstand and wait for it to settle.
Generally there is not someone to hold your bike, and you may need flashlight to see oil level.
Maybe just me

·
Very Famous Person
10,003 Posts
--

Here's what I do. Find out first what the factory recommends for the proper way to check oil level. Then go to a bike specific website and get some thoughts from others why they do a certain version if any different from the OEM. Change your oil with the exact amount recommended and check the level in any position you like as you know that will be the level it should be.

In the future if it's at that level, it should be just right. On mine, once I know how much should go in, I just leave it on the kickstand and check it cold. That's much easier and more consistent than for me to ride for five minutes or until warmed up, then have someone hold the bike up (I don't have a center stand) after letting it set for exactly two minutes while I check the level.

--

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
I put the bikes with no center stand, on the side stand. Kneeling, it is easy to pull the bike towards me, while holding a torch ( flash light ) aimed at the viewing window. I can see the oil rise up. By easing the grip on the RH bar, I can tell if the bike is level, or wants to pull to one side or the other. Rarely, as in hardly ever, do I go above upright. It is simple enough, that this senior can do it, with little effort.

UK

·
Visionary
5,272 Posts
Always check the OEM procedure, some are very specific.

I was baffled by my wife's Indian, you get very wrong readings if you don't follow the exact procedure including idling for a while with the bike upright, etc. I finally talked to the dealership head mechanic and he explained the whole thing.

Turns out that even though the 111 motor uses one oil for engine, primary, and transmission it actually has a dry sump system, multiple sumps, oil scavenging pump, etc (which explains the 2 separate oil drain plugs), it's not at all simple and the only way to check the oil is the way that they tell you to.

Reactions: cmonSTART

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just checked the manual, bike should be on the center stand, thats why I was getting the oil light regardless of having the oil line on a max setting when bike centered with both tires on floor surface.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,531 Posts
Well there you go, the owner's manual had your answer the entire time. Amazing what you can find in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts