Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday morning (this) and the wife is busy making a fancy cake for our youngest grandchild, whose birthday party will be tomorrow, here at our house.

I decide that I want to take a ride on the bike, stop and get Lunch somewhere (likely McDonalds) and then go to my local HD Dealership, to look at bikes.

It's a hot day, but like always, I have a helmet, light jacket, and half-gloves on. The bike starts up right away, and I waste no time getting on it, and pulling out of the driveway.

Out at the main street, traffic is thick with back-to-back trucks and cars, very unusual for a Saturday. I figure the traffic is being re-routed by an accident on the highway, not far down from my street.

I pull out into a small give-way in the traffic, and get down to the Red Light, and after a couple of minutes, squeeze thru the intersection behind a tandum truck on a "Yellow" light.

Moving down the road about a 1/4 mile I twist the throttle, to get going and the throttle won't respond. In fact, the motor chugs slower and slower and dies.

I pull over to the side of the road and re-adjust the Choke, and try again. Plenty of electrical response, but no fuel.

Guess who pushed their bike back the mile and a quarter, to his house, with rest stops every 3 tenths of a mile...................me, of course!!

I finally, after a series of stops, get the bike in the garage, and come in to tell my wife about what happened, and collapse. I get out of my sweaty clothes, and collapse on the bed cross-ways, trying to figure out what is wrong.

Then it occurs to me............

Wasn't it someone in here who told me that I should be shutting off my Fuel Valve every time the bike is stopped and sitting for a while? I know I have been doing that, ever since I was told it was a good idea.

Did I forget to turn the Fuel Valve ON????? NO!! COULDN'T BE!!

I got up off the bed and went out to the garage........

The Fuel Valve was in the "OFF" position!!!!!!

I turned the Fuel Valve to "ON," and got the key......

VROOOOMMMMMMM!!!!

I don't know who to be madder at..........ME........for forgetting to check the Fuel Valve, or ME .......for listening to someone in HERE!!! (lol).

-Soupy

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
That same conversation caught me as well, Soupy. After having NEVER turned the fuel valve off, the discussion nagged at me so I decided to 'play it safe'.

The next three times I went riding, I made it about a half a mile from home, going uphill, when the bike started to die. Each time I reached down and turned the valve on without problem. :p

After three times I decided the heck with this... going back to my old ways. ;)

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
The operators manual says to always use the kill switch too. I never have and never will. Sometimes you just have to do things YOUR way.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Turning the gas off when I stop at home and on when I get ready to ride again is a habit with me, I guess.

Anytime my bike starts acting up that is the 1st thing I check. Sometimes I actually used to need reserve. It hasn't happened in a long time...since I started getting a receipt at fill ups, writing my mileage on it and putting it in my glove when I get home. The next time I'm ready to ride there is the receipt. I know not to try to go very much over 130 miles on a tank.

But that kill switch....yeah sometimes that takes me a few minutes to realize. :D

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I think they call that problem "sometimers" Sometimes, I can't remember chit....Don't worry, until you are sitting there holding down the start button and it takes you a few minutes to realize, hey, stupid, you didn't turn the key on.....Or sitting at a stop sign and waiting for the light to turn green......

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Or sitting at a stop sign and waiting for the light to turn green......
And you don't want to know how long it took for that to sink in.:D :D :D

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
I ALWAYS use the kill switch, and when I had one, ALWAYS shut the petcock.

Which means I ALWAYS have to turn the kill on, and ALWAYS had to turn the fuel on....

If you ALWAYS do it the right way, you will NEVER forget.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
LOL! I'll "never" forget my my 7th grade English teacher teaching us about "always and never". I still can hear her when someone says "I always" or " I never".

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/always-never-usually-often-most-and-more

Sorry SafetyMan, I just couldn't resist. ;)
Well i "never" heard it put that way and I had a very good English teacher. But I "never" paid attention so there went one "never".:p Pretty sure I didn't pay attention though.:D

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I gather there IS no "Fuel Switch" on my new Harley. Am I right?

-Soupy

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
LOL! I'll "never" forget my my 7th grade English teacher teaching us about "always and never". I still can hear her when someone says "I always" or " I never".
I have to tip my hat to you Moni. SafetyMan's confidence in his way ALWAYS being the RIGHT way kind of had me bristling and I had to restrain myself from making just as insulting a reply. :eek:

And then you respond in a very gracious, yet apropos manner. Thank you for showing me the better way! :)

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No CHOKE, either!!

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Nope.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No spokes or chain to adjust............all the Service records were up to date.........I could get USED to this!!

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
Unless you just take short rides I suspect you'll be putting a windshield on but many ride without them. I won't. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
The operators manual says to always use the kill switch too. I never have and never will. Sometimes you just have to do things YOUR way.
The kill switch is a killer for me. I was having my bike serviced and the demo truck was at the dealer so I took out some demo bikes just for fun and to fill the time. One of the bikes I tried to take out just would not start. I sat there feeling like a fool until one of the host ride folks walked over and clicked the kill switch back to run. Then I really felt like a fool but the bike started just fine.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The kill switch is a killer for me. I was having my bike serviced and the demo truck was at the dealer so I took out some demo bikes just for fun and to fill the time. One of the bikes I tried to take out just would not start. I sat there feeling like a fool until one of the host ride folks walked over and clicked the kill switch back to run. Then I really felt like a fool but the bike started just fine.

I remember the second ride I took on my Shadow ACE last year.........it had an after market Vista Cruise Control that decided to spin around the handlebar when I reached over to disengage it on the highway, and the bike died. I mean DEAD!! (In the middle lane on a highway, at 70 MPH).

Come to find out, my hand hit the Kill Switch as the Cruise Control mechanism rotated around the handle bar.

I rolled over (cautiously, mind you) to the right hand side of the road and sat there a while, til I figured out what I had inadvertently done.

I took the Vista Cruise Control off that bike, that night.

P.S.: I had previously TIGHTENED that Cruise Control mechanism the day before, so I wasn't expecting it to spin around when I thumbed the lever.

-Soupy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts