Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think we have finally found our problem with the Savage (ole yeller as I call her because of her color). It has been running great for the past couple of days, which she never did before. She would always run good after we fixed something, but not for very long.

Was having a problem with her leaking gas out of the bowl vent tube. Normally, one would think seat/needle/float problems. So I sent her out to be cleaned by the carb guy. Not money wasted, as there was one needle that wasn't in good shape. It needed a good overnight dip anyways.

I ended up changing out the petcock. The original petcock was vacumn fed, had on/res/prime but no off position. I installed the Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock, on/res/off. Had to block off the vacumn intake on the carb. She's running like a champ and I'm so happy. The old petcock was very rusty on the inside.

We have a few other minor problems with the bike that we need to address over the winter. We found the belt was way too tight. When the guy replaced the front pulley, he misaligned the notches that tighten belt, and whoa, did that baby whine going down the road. Aligned up the notches, checked the belt and as long as you aren't riding 2up it doesn't whine anymore. With 2up, it still whines a bit, but I think that's because of the shocks. Previous owner had put on air shocks, and I notice this bike sits lower than my other bike (boulevard s40). Either the shocks need more air, or new shocks, I'm thinking that its just not keeping the bike at the hieght it needs to be in to keep belt aligned. (or I need to lose weight, ha ha) The old pulley was worn out and the spindle looks ok, but it's not something I want to have to replace. So for now, no 2up. Don't need to now with two bikes!! And other than a small oil leak that we will fix this winter I think she's good to go!!!

She's such a pretty bike, always get head turns, everyone always comments on her.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
We found the belt was way too tight. When the guy replaced the front pulley, he misaligned the notches that tighten belt, and whoa, did that baby whine going down the road. Aligned up the notches, checked the belt and as long as you aren't riding 2up it doesn't whine anymore. With 2up, it still whines a bit, but I think that's because of the shocks. Previous owner had put on air shocks, and I notice this bike sits lower than my other bike (boulevard s40). Either the shocks need more air, or new shocks, I'm thinking that its just not keeping the bike at the hieght it needs to be in to keep belt aligned. (or I need to lose weight, ha ha) The old pulley was worn out and the spindle looks ok, but it's not something I want to have to replace. So for now, no 2up. Don't need to now with two bikes!!
Sounds like it it still adjusted too tight. When the swing arm moves up, the axle reaches a point where it is farthest from the front pulley; the belt should be at its tightest at that point. The extra weight of a passenger will cause the axle to come close to that point, revealing that it is tight. Since the shocks are not standard, you may be measuring the belt at a different position of the axle than the manuals depend on. I suggest, unless you replace the shocks with stock ones, to lift it, disconnect the shocks, then raise the rear wheel (or lower the bike) to the point where the belt is tightest, and adjust it there.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been thinking of putting the stock shocks back on. I'm not too impressed with the air shocks. You can tell just by looking at it that it's just not sitting right, and that has to effect the belt. I'm sure thats why the pulley wore out. It was smooth as a babys butt, and I still cant believe that the spindle managed to turn it as long as it did. Next weekend, we will be doing the fix for it, I'll either do the shocks or fix the tension to where it needs to be. I can't risk damaging the spindle, as that will be a real project to fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts