Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all! I'm Owen (PiperScout) and about a year ago signed up for the "Learn to Ride" course with my 20 y/o daughter. It was taught through the American Eagle Harley dealership in Corinth, Texas (near Denton, just north of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex). Originally we took it just for the fun of learning how to ride, but by the end of the weekend my daughter asked, "Dad, are we going to buy a motorcycle?" With a bit of a conspiratorial chuckle I said, "Yes, but don't tell your mother (my wife) yet...we're going to have to work up to it." Well, by December 2018 I'd purchased a 2014 Harley Sportster Superlow XL1200T (touring model), something good to learn on, and a good size for her also. My future plan is to "outgrow" the Sportster and buy something larger so she can take the Sportster as her primary vehicle. (And as she reminds me, I'm not very good at sharing.)

Since December 2018 I've put about 5,000 miles on it in about 9 months with my longest trip around 1,200 miles round trip from the D/FW area to Cimarron, NM. I'm still a pretty fair-weather rider, but will commute cross-town to work 1-2 days a week when my schedule permits.

I've got visions of great rides in my future...and my wife has now softened up to the idea...a little. I'm in my 50's, and am a pretty conservative/cautious rider (I know I'm not immortal, and also assume other drivers can't see me), and am not opposed to turning a wrench when needed - I'm pretty good with 4-wheeled vehicles, but motorcycles are a new animal to me.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experiences. Looking forward to the ride!

·
On The Road Again!
4,221 Posts
Excellent! Keep encouraging your daughter.
We need more young people in the hobby.
And welcome to the forum!

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
WELCOME ABOARD, and...

Normally just a few more posts(count of 3) and the rest of the site
will open to you. This is the sites spambot control. Unfortunately it
is needed today. But you have to make 15 posts before you can post
pictures. Right or wrong it's considered a privilege to be able to post
pictures. Unless you use Tapatalk which somehow gets around
that restriction.

We are friendly site here. Well, most of us:grin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.