Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone newbie here! Been out of the motorcycle community for a long time but I have a question for you all. My first bike was a 1983 Magna V45. I loved that bike and the Magnas in general. I have been looking to buy another bike but my brother says to go newer and stay away from the carbureted bikes. He thinks that I should stay with the injected variety. But I love the stance and style of the old Magnas (looking at a V65) I also like the style of the 03 - 07 Shadows as well. Are parts available for the older bikes? Are there still mechanics that are able to do major work on the older Magnas? I want to stay with 1100cc and up in size. It seems that the Magnas are a little smaller than the Shadows. Are they both comparable in size when a passenger is riding (comfort for passenger)? How about reliability?
What are your opinions on my choices? Go old school or stay with the newer bikes?

Thanks guys!!

· Ace Tuner
4,927 Posts
"Are parts available for the older bikes?"
No, but Honda does seem to offer parts longer than the other guys.

"Are there still mechanics that are able to do major work on the older Magnas?"
No, only because an experienced mechanic will know unavailability of parts could kill the job.

"Go old school or stay with the newer bikes?"
Stay with the newer bikes.

· Registered
537 Posts
Older parts are hard to find to keep a bike running as a real driver. Its another matter if you are just wanting to restore a garage queen...

My 2005 Honda 1300 VTX has a carb. They don't scare me, but I have taken more than a couple apart.

I think the advantage a newer carb bike has over a newer EFI is price. Most people want EFI, so you can often pick up a good deal on a carb bike.

The shadows are really good bikes, I don't see how you could go wrong there. I see a lot of them at very good prices on the used market.

I have been told by a local Honda dealer that they will no longer work on older bikes due to liability issues.
I don't know if that is really why, but you will have trouble finding much help with service in some areas.

Make a phone call to a couple of dealers near you and see what the cut off year for them is.
Some will break their own "rule" if they sell you the bike.

· Registered
277 Posts
How old is old? `I have a 98' Valkyrie in route from CA it was just service in CA rebuilt all 6 carbs wasn't cheap but didn't sound like it was hard to find someone to do it. Should I be expecting it to be hard to find someone to service it here in NY?

G

·
Cant tell you which way to go. My personal experience. I had a Magna V65 that I put over 80,000 miles on with nothing but regular maintenance. After a little aftermarket work, the only problem I had with that bike was keeping back tires on it.

· Registered
9 Posts
The old carb bikes do just fine if you take care of them. Use no ethanol fuel in the off season. And carb cleaner twice in the on season. They will run for a long time. My V65 runs like a top and will do a 10.5 at 132mph in a 1/4 mile. But mine is lightened and tuned at 528lbs and 109hp at the rear wheel. And I take it on rides all across Ohio. I guess I am an old guy that loves my Magna and smoking kids on there crotch rockets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.