Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined because I'm sure I'm going to need some help. I've worked in maintenance for the last 45 years fixing everything from mid60's minibikes to main battle tanks. I haven't been on a bike for about 20 years and yesterday I acquired one. It is a 1986 Yamaha FJ1200. Not really my preferred bike but the price was right. I really prefer a good old Harley to a crotch rocket but it will give me something to do this winter. :biggrin:

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Welcome from Nebraska.

I spent 6 years at Mainz Finthen, and a lot of time in Wiesbaden trying to help them get rid of all their bier. That was over 30 years ago though.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
I've never been to Wiesbaden, unless I happened to cross through it on a train at some time. (There's a few places I'd really like to see in that general area though.) Most of the time I was in Nord Deutschland.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Welcome from Seattle!

That may not be your style of bike, but l am jealous as hell! I just got back on the road after 20 years, and bought a newer, smaller bike. In a year or two, when l am ready. l will be moving up to that exact bike you have :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Welcome from another old fart. Nice bike, better watch it, that crotch rocket as you call it has a reputation as a sports touring machine that might just change your mind about wanting that preferred Harley. It's style looks a bit like the crotch rockets but it's focus was refined handling and maneuverability and a much more human seating position. I'm guessing it will have you grinning.:biggrin:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really appreciate all the responses. The bike is very low mileage for it's age. only about 53,000km (about 35,00 miles) and was always stored inside. It seems to be in pretty good shape with only a few issues most of which are cosmetic. I'm currently making room to work on it in my workshop. Once I start restoring it I will start a thread with pictures of the process. My goal is to get it in a sufficient condition to qualify for Historic plates in 2016. The inspection for this is very strict but I have a year and a half to get it ready.

Anyone that wants to talk about the old days here just let me know. I've been in Germany off and on since 1975 and been a resident here since 1994. And yes we've all tried to drink the brauhaus dry but that was a long time ago.:biggrin:

In a year or two, when l am ready. l will be moving up to that exact bike you have :)
When you're ready maybe we can do a deal.

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Welcome to the forum Old Fart and congrats on acquiring the FJ1200. That's a great bike.

I visited Wiesbaden years ago and have good memories of long training runs through forest trails and little villages in that area.

I'm looking forward to seeing your posts on the FJ restoration.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
I am sad to say that it has been gone for a few years now.:frown:

Window shopping has been replaced with regular shopping.:confused:
Oh well, it was good while I was there. I knew several of the girls that worked there, I frequented the same lounge not far from the alley, made friends with a lot of them, seemed that having an HD was the first step to making friends. I'm sure that place is gone too, it was called Bismark Klause. Somewhere I have the original picture from when it first opened.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts