Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do with your old motorcycle batteries? I'm starting to get a pile of them here.

We have no recycle place that takes them, just wondering if they can go to a shop or junk yard.

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
You local cycle or car repair shop should take them. There may be a small fee for disposal.
Junkyards will sometimes take them too, they may pay you or might charge you depending on what they do with them.
Some battery shops (Northern Battery, Batteries plus, etc.) will often pay you a small amount because they recycle the cores.

·
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye
8,668 Posts
Auto Supplies will take them free of charge, but most metal scrap yards will buy them from you.

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
Any place that sells batteries will be happy to take them off your hands. (They get money from recycling them) Some may even give you a couple bucks.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I need to ask about gel cells too, I have those from a Rebel and some trailer batteries. Are they recyclable too?

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
I guess I need to ask about gel cells too, I have those from a Rebel and some trailer batteries. Are they recyclable too?
Internally, they are about the same as flooded batteries, just the liquid acid/water mix has been replaced with a semi-liquid gel, and the lead is what the recyclers are after, not the rest of the junk. So, yes, they recycle the same as flooded batteries.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Battery

I got $17- for the last one I took in.
The lead is usually good quality and can be used for sail boat keels.
Everything we buy, should either be recycled or composted.
The liquid in the batteries is acid, so will harm the environment.
There was a time when the were a lot less folks, so a bit of damage was no drama. But when it gets so bad we can not grow enough to feed ourselves it will be a problem.
China has already lost one month of growing time per year, due to smog.
The runoff from many areas of California farm land is already toxic.
Super bugs like MRSA already exist is some harbours and lakes.
Every action you take makes a difference.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Bear in mind, Folks, this forum is international. Most responses posted thus far, sound like US citizens, where the EPA requires used batteries to be recycled. Laws, and rules, vary from nation to nation. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Bear in mind, Folks, this forum is international. Most responses posted thus far, sound like US citizens, where the EPA requires used batteries to be recycled. Laws, and rules, vary from nation to nation. Cheers!
Well, Crusty's location says Canada, and his remarks apply anywhere in the world. Lead in the environment is a real problem, causing mental retardation, among other problems. Acids can make crop land unusable, and since we in the US, especially, are covering our best farmland in housing, we can't afford to lose it through careless disregard.

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The reason I have so many old batteries is because they are safe where they are at. I don't care if I get paid for them, but I want to make sure they don't end up in the wrong place and cause problems. I will check with the scrapyard since I have about 800 pounds of aluminum cans to get rid of too. I have to bring the dump truck to load up all the steel in the yard, but the price is low on that right now.

Some people call me a pack rat, but all I can do is agree with them.

·
American Legion Rider
18,507 Posts
I hate to see Wal-Mart make one darn penny but you can take them there and dump them. They do recycle but it supposed to be for exchange purpose. However I've on occasion got an odd size that I had to have form internet source and took the old there. At least it was out of my hair and it's now their problem. I just hate the fact they do get some money from it.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
I just toss them into the marsh grass in the tidal creek behind the house. They usually disappear after a couple of good storms.
If I thought you were serious I'd sic the EPA on ya, you dirty 8stard ;)

I'm probably over MY lifetime limit of lead from all the pellets in all the small game I ate growing up..... glad they've switched to copper pellets in shotgun shells.

>Lead in the environment is a real problem, causing mental retardation.

Which is the REAL reason I no longer spread "Environment" on my sandwiches or enjoy the delicate crunch of paint chips. But I refuse to wear an ill-fitting respirator when demo'ing old houses slathered in innumerable layers of lead paint.

There's dollars in them there batteries. Probably $15 worth of lead, and they'll give you at least $8 apiece for AUTO batteries at the recyclers.

Tell your neighbors you're holding a battery round-up, borrow my V8 truck (a REAL truck, not some toy V6 truck...) and drive 'em to wherever you can get lunch money.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
I have about 800 pounds of aluminum cans to get rid of too.

Some people call me a pack rat, but all I can do is agree with them.
As long as

A) You don't end up on some reality show
B) The CFO (a.k.a. wife) is ok with your, ahem, "collection"...
C) You're not substantially depreciating your neighbor's property....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts