Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Tour
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I trailered our bikes down to Sand Springs, OK for a track weekend at Hallett MRC on July 17. We parked the truck/trailer at the Sand Springs Holiday Inn Express & Suites and locked it all up at about midnight before getting a few hours of sleep. When we walked out to the truck, the trailer and bikes had vanished. This happened between midnight and 4:00 AM. The two bikes on the U-Haul trailer were the following:
  • 2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000: yellow and silver with full Yoshimura exhaust, smoked windscreen, and brand new Pirelli Diablo Rosso III tires
  • 2008 Yamaha FZ-6: midnight blue, bone stock
I filed a police report with the Sand Springs PD and we've set up alerts on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, and eBay for the bikes and their parts. But I could really use some help from everybody who knows anybody who might see the bikes or bike parts pop up. I feel like a piece of me died on Saturday. Thanks to everyone who sees this.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,162 Posts
That absolutely sucks, I hope you find your bikes.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sorry to hear this. That really sucks.

I made it very difficult to detach the trailer from my car. You'd need to cut or grind. Thats the only way. Its a keyed ball mount with built in pin, its actually hidden behind the bumper, and both the nut for the ball and nut for the ball lock adjuster on the trailer is welded so you cannot just back them off. Seriously no way to separate them without cutting/grinding unless you have the key. Then the bike gets double locked to trailer. The locking hitch pins aren't tough at all. One whack and they pop loose. I wouldn't even bother with one.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,426 Posts
My 'step don't had his entire truck stolen in Oklahoma from a hotel, they stole all his welding equipment and welder, then abandoned the truck after breaking all the glass.

He was extremely disappointed when the police found his truck. Insurance fixed it and replaced his tools.

Hotel security cameras caught 3 ghetto goblins breaking in to it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
8,954 Posts
Tractor supply sells battery powered grinders that can chew through a Lock or cable in under a minute.

Problem is, if you caught them you can't legally shoot them. You can't break their bones with a Baseball bat either. Poison is out as it takes too long to work. The trick is to get them to attack you so you fear for your life and then you can retaliate in kind. 😂

Sorry for you loss, those were beautiful bikes!

Thieves have a special place in HELL!

Sam

·
Registered
624 Posts
Tractor supply sells battery powered grinders that can chew through a Lock or cable in under a minute.
Its definitely not foolproof, but you'd definitely have to come prepared with that sort of equipment for sure. But also, if you cut the ball off, then all you have is a damage half a ball stuck in the tongue like a security device. For the tongue lock adjuster bolt, you'd need like a die grinder to get at that without cutting into the tongue of the trailer. I have to imagine 99% of thieves will just move on. Maybe they could drill out the bolt on the tongue lock and have another tongue lock ready to go. But drilling isn't fast.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
8,954 Posts
Where there is a will, there is a way. Nothing is beyond the Criminal mind.
Sam

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Always request a ground floor room and roll your bikes inside next to the bed.
Locks only stop honest people.

·
Super Moderator
198 Posts
Dang those are beautiful bikes my friend...so sorry to hear about this. I really hope you get them back or they at least catch the people who stole them. Trials is right and I've read similar advice from others about getting a ground floor room and sleeping next to the bike. Best of luck to you and worst of luck to whoever did this! :mad:

·
Ace Tuner
3,130 Posts
  • 2007 Suzuki GSX-R1000: yellow and silver with full Yoshimura exhaust, smoked windscreen, and brand new Pirelli Diablo Rosso III tires
  • 2008 Yamaha FZ-6: midnight blue, bone stock
We need the V.I.N. of both bikes.
If by some chance one comes in for service down here in the Houston area I'll hold the bike and call the police.

Problem is, if you caught them you can't legally shoot them.
Don't know about Oklahoma but in Texas you legally could. I of course would not...

S F

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
25,278 Posts
Thieves have a special place in HELL!
They don't get there soon enough though. I'd love to see the miracle that would put every single one in Hell all at once. Man that would be the day.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Sadly we're not allowed to booby trap our bikes to protect them, but I have considered irradiating my front forks with a unique isotope, so I can find them with a geiger counter and identify them after the fact. lol probably be able to identify the perps too if enough radiation rubbed off on them.

Next time, maybe hide a GPS tracking device on the bike and hopefully they will steal that too. GPS trackers look to be the most promising security device that might actually result in the recovery of your property. :unsure: Then your next big problem is, what are you going to do to the perps when you find them, do you go for a full on frontal assault, phone a friend or call the cops and have them give you reasons they won't do anything about it.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Tour
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Next time, maybe hide a GPS tracking device on the bike and hopefully they will steal that too. GPS trackers look to be the most promising security device that might actually result in the recovery of your property.
Yeah, this experience has completely broken my faith in humanity and now I'm looking into GPS trackers for everything I own.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Yeah, this experience has completely broken my faith in humanity and now I'm looking into GPS trackers for everything I own.
You feel violated, right.

lol my brother caught a thief in his house once and hung the guy on the back porch by his thumbs before calling the police, they were not pleased with his choice of restraint for some reason :LOL: personally I thought it was very creative.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
If he would have had a backhoe, hanging by the thumbs would have looked like a good idea.

You know, if all the police get defunded, the life of thieves could get very short. They should be grateful when the police catch them.

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
704 Posts
They don't get there soon enough though. I'd love to see the miracle that would put every single one in Hell all at once. Man that would be the day.
'fraid we'll have to wait for the Last Judgement.👹

1 - 20 of 46 Posts