Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Update on the bike. I ran 3/4 of a can on b12 in the fuel and added the rest directly to the carb and tuned it and it actually accelerates now. I then checked the oil and saw it was low so I added more and I saw two leaking spots. 1 being the cranks case covers and the second being around the cylinder head. Im wondering what the next steps are. I assume it is a leaking gasket but after further inspection I saw a bolt was sheared possibly from being over torqued. Here are some pictures. The left picture is a zoomed out pic of where the leak is and you can see the oil dripping onto the exhuast. the center picture is a zoomed up pics of the oil build up on the head and the last is a pic of the bolt the is sheared on the head. The bike is a 1972 or 73 xl 250. as always thanks in advance!
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle
Grille Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Gas Armour Auto part Machine Metal

Attachments

· Registered
194 Posts
You need to buy a helicoil or vcoil kit or timesert... fairly simple to fix it . You drill it , cut new threads , insert the coil and remove the tab at the bottom.
If I am not wrong those bolts should take about ~10-15nm of torque and should be tightened after the cylinder head bolts.Not following the correct order you can strip them.
I am afraid you will have to take a look at all bolts , maybe there are also other stripped threads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts