Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

New to riding. Just picked up my first bike a few weeks ago - a 1975 Honda CB 125s. Took it in for a look over and the mechanic said it is in great shape. I'm attempting to learn as I go regarding repairs but could use some help at the moment.

I have a small oil leak (one or two drops) after riding. I believe it is oil anyway - I smelled it and it certainly isn't gasoline. It appears to be coming from the shift lever or footrest on the left side of the bike. Any idea where this could be coming from and what I could do to address it? I can't link a photo, since this is my first post.

Thanks!

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
There is usually a seal where the shift lever shaft comes out of the case - often those can leak.

But, the best thing to do is to clean the bike off really well and keep a close eye on it. You can even us a UV dye from an auto parts store to make the leak show up easily under a black light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks for the tip! I'll give it a cleaning and keep an eye on it. Good to know about the dye as well.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Riding throws alot of stuff on the bike everywhere, if you ride through puddles, over muddy hills and across big fields of whatever, there should be a spot about 7 feet in diameter under your bike after it sets overnight.
if what you've got is a couple of little drops of stuff under your bike after a trip to the store, its probably air condensation from the hot engine cooling off.
IF there isn't any drops under there, you should move into an area that has air. It is really good for you to breathe the stuff.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If it's only a wee bit of oil, you are better off just leaving it alone. You could end up opening a can of worms. We had to fix an oil leak on my older bike, but boy, it turned into a major project awefully quick. Things didn't go right (like always) and it got to the point i just felt like we would have been better off with the leak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts