Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all Im New here and know nothing about engines I have a 04 triumph daytona 600 with 12300mi. I just bought it off of craigslist. when I took it for a test drive everything was normal so I bought it. but as soon as I made our first stop I noticed a ticking near the upper front of the engine, and a little bit of wetness on my left shoe I checked the engine and there was a little oil on the clutch cover and a lil build up all over the inner fairing, I checked with my brother in law and he said they sometimes leak don't worry( kinda think he was bull****ting me) but today when I was putting the cowl back on I started it up just to hear it for the **** of it, but noticed oil kinda hitting the inside of the pipe and slowly burning(there's no smoke and the oil like fluids smelled like a lawnmower). there's no oil on the ground when I park. can someone tell me an idea what this is and how much this is going to cost me. I just shelled out $2900 for this and kinda want to know if I got screwed or not?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Pull your fairing off again and start up your engine. While the bike is idling, take a real close look all over the engine. You mentioned oil coming out of the header from the engine. Start looking there first.

There is nothing anybody can do here until you locate the leak.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
It helps to clean things up really well first - give it a good bath. Some folks use talcom powder to dust the area first - it makes it easier to see where the wet oil spot is.

And no, it isn't normal for a modern bike to leak. Cool bike, though!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts