Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

I ride an 84 honda vt500ft ascot. I went to clean my air filter today and noticed that some motor oil is getting into the air box. Is this just from my overfilling the engine? Anyone have some explanations as to why this might be happening? Everything else runs fine.

joey

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
Are you sure that it is motor oil? Some filters have filter oil in them that helps them capture contaminants and particulates.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Many bikes have a crankcase return to the airbox...its a EPA thing.

Unless its dripping wet with oil, I wouldnt worry about it.

Just so you know...the service manual for the ninja 250r specifically tells you to PUT motor oil on the air filter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, it's definitely motor oil. I do put 80 grade gear oil in my filter like the book says to. There was way too much oil in the filter (ie. it IS dripping wet with oil) and it causes my bike to start lagging really bad due to lack of air to the carbs. I think perhaps I just overfilled it, but it definitely has bad effects on the way it runs.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,208 Posts
It sounds to me that your getting a LOT of oil comming up through the crankcase return vent. Anyone know what could cause that problem?

·
Veryfried
1,451 Posts
yes, you overfilled it ;)

also pull off the breather pipe and make sure it's not kinked or blocked, it could be building up pressure in the crankcase and forcing oil out when you stop the engine.
if it is annoying you, re route the breather under the bike, but obviously away from the rear tyre.

all it's for is when the piston cones down, it makes pressure in the crankcase and the breather relieves it.
same on the upstroke, it stops the piston drawing a vacuum as it travels up the bore.

it goes in the airbox (as someone said earlier) to deal with oil mist and fumes, but if the oil level is normal this shouldnt be an issue.
if you re-route the breather, be sure to plug up the hole in the airbox.

and check your oil level is correct, on a flat surface with cool engine.

*i actually had one of these (usa import) stolen from under my bedroom window lol - where did you get yours from!
joking! mine was found smashed to pieces on a railway embankment.
nippy bike but did not like going round corners!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.