Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use the K&N (303 in my case) oil filter on their bike? I picked one up yesterday. About twice the price I have been paying for a Fram at Walmart. Honestly, the primary reason I wanted it was for the nut on the front of it, as I have a hard time using the filter wrench on the Fram ( it slips a lot) when I am trying to use the torque wrench to get the specified tightness. Is it worth the extra money, ie: is it that much better of a filter? It might be worth the money to me to not have to dick around with the filter wrench (and ppl walking past my garage are less likely to learn a highly creative filthy vocabulary), but is the filter itself worth the money? Please advise.

·
8,606 Posts
Steve, I use K&N filters on most everything I own because of that crazy little nut on the end:biggrin: From that time on, it makes a filter change a snap.

The Fram filters that I've used on my ZTR mowers all have a black, thick, rubberized end coating that makes them as easy or easier to change than the K&N. If one has a strong enough grip, a torque wrench is hardly needed.

I have never used a torque wrench on any oil filter in my life as I have the "FEEL" for it and a vein on my right forearm pops up at the correct setting;)

Sam:coffeescreen:

·
Registered
518 Posts
K&N makes excellent filters. So does my less expensive preference, Wix. Neither has let me down.

I say, if it's worth it to you functionally to have the nut, it's worth the money. As for the guts of the filter, probably not. Less expensive filters will do as good a job. This is motorcycles, though. There's folks who will pay extra for a chrome oil filter because they like the looks.

Now, for air filters, I do prefer K&N. Not becuase it gives me 100 extra horsepower and 50 more miles per gallon, because it doesn't. I just think it's a good filter, and like that I can hose it off rather than replace it. I've had one in my truck for well over 100,000 miles. No problems. The one I had in my first bike also did fine. The NCX will have one once it's the mileage to replace the stock.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
If the nut makes a difference, then there is no reason not to use the K&N. They are good filters. You are paying for the convenience of that nut. If the nut is not needed, then you can certainly use a less expensive but just as good filter. I use WIX filters on everything. I think they are a good fit between quality and price. But I don't have a problem accessing the filter, so the nut is not needed. On my old sport bike, I planned on going to the K&N because the filter was behind the exhaust headers and was a damn pain in the ass to get any tool at. I sold the bike before the next change was due.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have never used a torque wrench on any oil filter in my life as I have the "FEEL" for it and a vein on my right forearm pops up at the correct setting;)

Sam:coffeescreen:
Does the vein have a specific foot lbs setting? Or does it vary based on the need?

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I put them in fingertip tight and never have a problem removing them by hand. Never had one leak or loosen on any vehicle. I think many places tighten them too much.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
From what I've read lots of people here put them on too tight.

But even after putting them on, turn until they hit resistance, then 1/4 turn, easy to do by hand, I haven't been able to take it off by hand at the next service.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
I honestly think they tighten themselves too. I put mine on hand tight, then I back it off 1/4 turn. I've never had one get loose and still had them feel like some gorilla put it on later. I've never had the guts to try using just 2 fingers but it would probably work.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
A lot of people do put them on too tight, yeap.

An end wrench is also handy for when I'm changing someone's oil after they've ridden a ways to get here. Keeps my fingers off a hot filter and away from a hot engine case. :)

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
I just wish I could figure out a way to keep the oil in the filter from flooding my Ultra's lower frame/engine mount area. On the Sportster I am able to get a homemade "trough" under the filter and get most of the oil to flow down it and into a pan. But on the Ultra you have the lower and floorboard in the way.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
I've used a big wad of paper towels to catch the oil, flipping the filter up as soon as it's free to minimize how much oil spills. It's still a mess.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
On an Ultra I use a rag to cover the shifter and floorboard, then flip the filter up as soon as I can like Dodsfall described. I use Brake Klean to spray off the part of the crank case below the filter that get's dripped on and let that run into a cookie pan underneath for a couple minutes while I'm checking the brakes or drive belt or something.

I use a refillable sprayer like this one:

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...M3niMgCFUYqHgodZ0UMdw&ei=eFMAVqaZHcbUeOeKsbgH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts