Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 81 maxim 650 that i recently redid all the carb jets on. this included the intake boots and gaskets. (i believe it had the originals still they were bad). anyways i replaced the carbs on the bike and it was misfiring. i fixed the issue i believe seemed to me like the needle was sticking in the float bowl. now the issue i am having is that oil and fuel seem to be coming from the Blow-by tube that leads from the crankcase to the air box and its a pretty decent amount enough that when i took the oil filter off to see if that might be an issue there wasn't much in there. i'm letting it drip drain until it all gets out of the system plus i had to order a new oil bypass bolt before i can finish the oil change. does anyone have any other ideas? i've about exhausted everything i know (Which isn't much when it come to any motors)

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Welcome!

If a needle was sticking it is likely that some gas has made its way down the intake, past the piston rings, and into the oil in the lower end. Make sure your needle is working properly and change your oil and filter.

·
Nothing to See Here
524 Posts
I have an 85 Maxim, when I had this problem I changed the air filter and spark plugs. I don't know which fixed the problem, but one did. Also, I am going to send you a PM.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
this should stop the oil from coming through the blow-by tube and into the air box?
It's normal for a little oil to come though the vent tube. If it is a lot of oil, my first suspect would be an overfilled crankcase. If gasoline is making its way into the crankcase and mixing with the oil, you have bigger problems. I'd check for that before running the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The crank case was almost empty as it was shooting oil out of the vent tube. The oil that has come out from the vent tube (most of the oil in the crank case) did smell like fuel I wonder if it came from when I reinstalled the carbs and put the petcock on prime in order to fill the carbs

this should stop the oil from coming through the blow-by tube and into the air box?
It's normal for a little oil to come though the vent tube. If it is a lot of oil, my first suspect would be an overfilled crankcase. If gasoline is making its way into the crankcase and mixing with the oil, you have bigger problems. I'd check for that before running the engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Londel. I have an 82' 650 maxim, had similar if not same issue. In my case replacing w/ NEW petcock did the trick. Apparently old one never completely "shut off" and bowls kept overflowing. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i removed my fuel hose from the petcock and the 1 tube that leads to carb 3. no leaks with the petcock setting "on" or "res" fuel would flow when in the "prime" setting which i understand is totally normal. thanks for the idea though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts