34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
I've got a 2005 Suzuki C50 with 5700 Miles on it. I am going to do 4 year
service on it which is:
Change the Oil and Filter
and
Change the coolant.
(I know I should have done it in 2009, but that was when I bought it.)

First question. Do I need to put Suzuki Oil in my bike. Dealer wants about
$3 a quart more than just quaker state or mobil 1. Does this matter?

Second question. Same for the coolant. Is it important to use the dealer
coolant?

Third question. Recommend to change the brake fluid and the brake fluid hose. This is just on the front brake because the rear is a drum brake. The hose looks good and the brakes work fine. I'm thinking I can skip this step?
Bike only has 5700 Miles.

What do you think, crew?

BR

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check the pads. If they still have a decent amount of material, you should be fine IMO.

as to the oil, check here:
Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Repair, Building, and Restoration > Motorcycle Repair> Oil and Lubrication Thread!

Or if that doesn't work, I'll take the important bit from the thread here:
"Use a Motorcycle Specific oil with a JASO Rating of MA, better yet, MA 2, but never MB"

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Agree with Peepers on oil - any motorcycle rated oil, dino or synthetic, including Rotella T6, will do.

For coolant, any aluminum-safe brand will do. You should add a container of Bar's Leaks to it, too; Suzuki 'requires' it, not so much for the leak prevention, but to lubricate the water pump.

Definitely change out the brake fluid - you should do this, at the least, every two years. Suzuki recommends replacing the hose, because it starts to flex more with age. I replaced mine with stainless-wrapped type, which improved the feel of the brakes, a lot.

You might consider changing the oil in the rear axle; you don't know if it was changed after break-in, and it only takes about a pint of hypoid oil. I prefer 75W90 synthetic, as it reduces drag in the gears, and lubricates well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks. It's getting cold here. 47 degrees in the garage but
picked up the oil yesterday. I suppose I've got a lot of winter
now, to change the oil and coolant, and I'll change the brake
fluid. And perhaps the hose. Perhaps one more ride this season.
Love riding and appreciate the tips. Thanks again.
BR

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
You can use good quality auto oil as long as it does not have "energy conserving" on the label which means it has MOLY in it. That screws up wet clutches. Most 10-40 does not have moly, most 10-30 and 5-30 does.

If the oil has SM or SN service grade, you need to add some ZDDP to prevent excessive engine wear. I don't know if current "motorcycle oils" have enough ZDDP. A level of about 1500 - 2000 ppm is ideal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the great info. I hope this helps the next guy.
Oil is done, now onward to coolant. (just have to take the
gas tank off.) Then....brake fluid.
BR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts