Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Change the oil often, they all said. Get a six sided socket for the 12 mm bolt, that holds on the filter cover, I was told.
So I practiced on the spare bike. Bolt undid and the cover and filter came off. Ducky. Next Yami. Push socket on securely and turn using the bar. Socket went around, bolt stayed in place. Round one to the bolt. That was yesterday. Today between the rain, I used the mini jack hammer on the bolt. Round two to the bolt. My stud remover is too big to attach. A more compact unit is on my shopping list. Have an idea to drill a hole thru the aluminum cover and insert a lever. The inside end would press against the bolt, the outer end against the cover. If the cover turns, the bolt should turn with it.
I think there is a replacement bolt that takes a 17mm socket.
Yami is still ride-able at the moment. I can afford to have him off duty for a short while, but have to be careful with his down time.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
Bummer about the bolt. I've had to use a pipe wrench before to remove some old Honda oil filter bolts.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heat

did you try heat?
Cover is about 4 inch diameter. Threaded part of bolt is about 3 inches from the head. So the piece of the engine that needs heating is not accessible, unless I destroy the cover, which may happen.
I was sure the air gun ratatat would move it. Turns a 20 minute job into an adventure. I removed the exhaust pipes today, and lifted the front of Yami with a sky hook. The side car is still attached.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,487 Posts
So you can't freeze the bolt either?

How about tweaking it a bit tighter then try loosing it?

Let us know how you get it off.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hot and cold

Critter and Ketch.
I will try the reverse direction. One of the guys on the XS11 site used an acetiline torch to heat his bolt. I may knock the fins off the cover and try my stud remover.
Back to boat work during the week.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Troublemaker
2,520 Posts
You also can try hitting what's left of the bolt head with a hammer, sometimes that will also break it loose, then have to use vise grips or a small pipe wrench to get it out. Sounds like a steel bolt seized in an aluminum cover. A chemical reaction, especially if it sits a long time without being moved.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There's always a way...just keep cracking at it...it'll come eventually!

Good luck. we'll be waiting to hear the good results.

3G

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bolt

You also can try hitting what's left of the bolt head with a hammer, sometimes that will also break it loose, then have to use vise grips or a small pipe wrench to get it out. Sounds like a steel bolt seized in an aluminum cover. A chemical reaction, especially if it sits a long time without being moved.
Yes a steel bolt in the bottom of the alloy engine block. Have whacked it with the hammer. The air gun ratatat, usually works better than a hammer.
The threaded surface area in the block, about 5/8" diameter is larger than the 12 mm head. I will shop for a removal tool later in the week, and chat with the guy in the repair shop who has worked on these things.
I need rear brake pads and a couple of other things too. It is a 140 mile round trip from here, to the big city on the big island and back.
I put a bit of grease on all the bolts and screws when putting things back together.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Bolt

In the interest of not keeping you guys in suspenders too long, I decided to review all my options, and delay boat work.
But first the decision had been made to sacrifice the bolt and cover. One thing the stroker set has always done, is provide a steady supply of the fastest bikes of the day, to the scrap yard. The XS11 was no exception. I also had the parts I need in hand.
Best theory: Cut the head and attached washer, off the bolt, remove the cover and un-thread the bolt, using a variety of tools. Theory is, the stuck bit is the pressure of the cover against the washer. Usually from the bolt being installed too tight.
With oil flying from the cutting blade, mixed with alloy dust, I trimmed the head. Used the air ratatat to chisel off the last little bits, the cover fell off, and the filter and bolt turned easily by hand.
I will install the new filter, cover and bolt. Fill with oil and we are mobile again.
I need new rear brake pads, that I can get later in the week.
My spare bike has a different rear caliper.

Unkle Crusty* on coffee break.

·
American Legion Rider
18,571 Posts
I got to ask this. How buggered up did the plate get? Seems when I cut off a bolt head I usually mar what it's holding pretty good. On farm equipment that's not usually a problem. So not knowing exactly where this plate is I envision a buggered up plate that looks terrible. Did you fair better?

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Plate

The plate is like a bowl that holds the filter. The central bolt has a washer as part of it. The bottom of the bowl has fins protruding out about 1/2 inch.
Because of the fins, the angle of the cutting wheel is steep, not flush.
That in turn wrecked the bowl. I had a new bowl from my spare bike.
It was a farming type decision to sacrifice the bolt and bowl.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yami

Glad to see you get it back on the road UC!!!
Thank you Hawk.
If Shirley comes with me to any of the races, I will bring the Yamaha. It is a lot more comfortable for her than the Suzuki.
Race at Kent 25 and 26 April. My boat is coming out of the water real soon.
A trip to Kent that weekend, will depend on the weather, and my boat progress.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Would an EZI-OUT have worked? You know the left hand threaded screw, you drill a hole a little smaller than the EZI-OUT and screw the EZI-OUT in and as it tightens it undoes the stuck bolt. Good thing about them in a case like this is you can get to the head of the bolt with a drill, and the drive on the EZI-OUT can be turned with a number of tools and even a length of torque multiplying wrench extension.

There's another kind, you drill the hole in the bolt head and drive the tapered square into the hole until it jams and turn the bolt out.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMzIW5pueNl7B9CkQTdncBI5meYZyDCBJnTM9owDhdMDt1JDAjVQ

·
American Legion Rider
18,571 Posts
The plate is like a bowl that holds the filter. The central bolt has a washer as part of it. The bottom of the bowl has fins protruding out about 1/2 inch.
Because of the fins, the angle of the cutting wheel is steep, not flush.
That in turn wrecked the bowl. I had a new bowl from my spare bike.
It was a farming type decision to sacrifice the bolt and bowl.

Unkle Crusty*
That's what I was afraid of and that would be exactly what would happen to me. When I go in for the kill, something does die or gets injured. Sometimes it's me too.:mad:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts