Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well the good news is I hooked the new battery up and sprayed it with carb cleaner and it started right up...took for a good long ride around town, ran it through all the gears, seems fine for the most part.
It does sound like it's running a little rough though, would another dose of sea foam or maybe the techron fluid I bought be the solution?

·
6,557 Posts
Yes and yes!

I bought a new Suzuki Bandit 1250S, in 1997, with some Yoshimura stuff on it and loved it but if it sat for more than 3 months or so the carbs secondary jet circuits would plug up and it would only idle or run full throttle!

It scared me because I'd had lots of experience removing the 4 carbs from past JAP bikes and completely disassembling them to clean them out and believe me, it's a pain in the arse and hours in the undertaking!

When this happened in 1999, I decided to get a can of Chevron Techron and OVERDOSE the bike and ride the snot out of it on the rural country roads in my area, until I blew the motor or it cleared up: 75 miles later, the bike ran like new:)

At the time, I had a new 1999 KTM 640 EXC and a 1997 Honda Goldwing to enjoy so the Suzuki didn't get ridden much so I caused the problem myself.

I hope the effort works for you!

Sam:)

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,619 Posts
Do the next few tank fill ups and it should clear up

·
American Legion Rider
18,889 Posts
Yes, run Seafoam or Star Tron In the next several tanks. If you don't see any improvement then I'd question the plugs or plug wiring. both are cheap enough to replace and could be a source of poor performance. If still not running great then most likely it needs valves adjusted.

·
Visionary
2,972 Posts
Is it just me or do we seem to have a lot more battery issues this winter than in the past? It doesn't seem to be an extremely colder winter. In fact milder here. Maybe I'm just paying more attention.
It's not you, I lost 2 batteries this year, and not only were the temps warm but I even added heat to the garage set to 40F.
Damn batteries they make these days are crap, probably all made in the same place and they bought cheap Chinese lead or something...

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
I replaced one in the XS400, and there was not much wrong with the old one. I replaced the one in the Triumph as a precaution, and the old one was tired. The one in the 79 XS1100 died from old age. The new made in China battery is working well. I replaced the one in my belch mobile, the old one was dying from old age. Sold the belch mobile.
The Suzuki is in the bike shop for sale. Told the guy it has the original battery from 007.
Way back when, some batteries would die after one year. But fancy battery tenders were not as readily available, and we were dumb about some things, and or did not care as much.
I wonder if she cared as much as she did before. Everly Brothers

UK

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well **** me, stupid thing was working, now it's not...first day when I sprayed it with carb cleaner it started right up, ran fine for a while, I gave it a ride around the neighborhood, it sounded a touch rough but no problems otherwise, it ran for a solid 30 minutes and I went on a 10 mile ride.
Next day I started it again and ran it again, no problems. I started it and ran it every other day for the next week and it didn't give me any problems, poured some more sea foam into it, all was good.
Well it was cold and rainy the last few days so I ignored it, staid inside. Tried to start it up yesterday in the cold, no luck - wasn't a battery issue, lights came on and everything, engine just wouldn't turn over. Also worth mentioning I live in Texas, cold is highly relative here - it was in the 40s, which isn't objectively that cold for those of us originally from the north but 40s qualifies as a cold ass day in Austin.

Today it's been warm and dry, I gave it another shot and it started this time, but I had to run it on the choke for a long-ass time, probably 3-5 minutes, before it reached a steady idle speed - normally no matter how cold it gets or how long it's been sitting, I've never needed to choke it longer than 30 seconds, usually only 5-10. Then I tried riding it around the neighborhood and it kept shutting off on me - I could hear clicking sounds coming from the carb area, like the valve was trying to open but couldn't, and it would shut off...I walked it back to try starting it with carb cleaner again.

When I pulled the filter off there was some gunky liquid pooled up in the bottom of the airbox, I guess it was gas because it smelled like gas but it was also viscous like oil so I'm not 100% certain. I wiped it up and sprayed the carb cleaner into the intake again and it started right up, ran fine for a while, revved it a good bit and everything and it sounded healthy. I took it for another ride and as soon as I started moving it started shutting down on me again...I was able to restart it this time to at least get it back to my place and as soon as I parked it shut itself off again.

So as it turns out obviously I do have some kind of fuel intake problem, could it be the main valve isn't opening all the way or all the time? That might explain why there's possibly fuel in the bottom of the air intake, if gas is trying to get in but can't I guess there's where it would likely get splashed into...I'm mainly confused as to why this started yesterday/today all of a sudden when it had been running more or less fine up to this point, apart from running a little rough, and I had been addressing the roughness with more doses of fuel cleaner

I'm not really in a position unfortunately to do extensive work on this thing at the moment as I don't live in a place with a garage right now and I'm not big on having to do a lot of work in the middle of an apartment building parking lot, I'm just looking to do as much preliminary diagnostic work as I can before taking into the shop to hopefully save myself a little on having to pay a hefty labor fee

·
Registered
282 Posts
When I get misfiring on my van, that occurs when it is wet, but not when it's dry, my go-to solution is to clean the high tension spark wires and distributor. The salts in the dirt on the wires is conductive enough to bleed off the spark and the engine misfires. It's not a Triumph and it's an older tech. vehicle, but ..... for a problem that is moisture related, I personally would look for electrical connectivity problems. The spark side of the coil is the most vulnerable, because of the high voltage, but some other connection(s) may have also gone high resistance.

One neat trick is to run the engine at night in as dark an environment as you can get. If spark is bleeding off, you can see little sparks jumping from the wires.

I see specs that say a 2008 Bonny has electronic carb heaters, but I'm having a hard time understanding what in the vicinity of the carbs would be clicking? Electrical clicking, or something associated with you twisting the throttle grip?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It's not an electrical issue, it's definitely tied to the throttle action
Clicking is not a great description but I can't really think of a better one...I can hear it and feel it in the carb/throttle body area, it's definitely associated with me giving it gas - when I roll back on the throttle at times it's like there's a slight resistance, associated with this abrupt noise, not really a click but just a sharp metallic sound, like a delay in a valve opening, coming from the throttle body, followed by kind of a lag, and at times the occasional engine shut off.

Definitely feels like a fuel intake issue to me that or a mechanical problem between the throttle and the carb, like when I roll back on it it's not always opening the valve when it should, like the timing is sometimes off maybe...I don't know enough to know what would cause that and I'm also baffled as why it just started when it had run fine up to that point. It also runs real smooth and healthy after a spray the carb cleaner in it, but once I start actually riding it I start having these problems.

I'll mess around with it more this weekend and try running it with techron in the tank and report back what it does, but I think at this point i'm probably going to have no choice but to haul it to the shop and hope that it makes it the whole way there without shutting off on me as i just don't have the means to start taking the throttle body apart in this apartment life scenario.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you can take off some parts and get a look inside the carburetor at the throttle plate(s) and outside at the cable linkage(s) you may find that something has gotten worn or come loose.

A motorcycle is a world of hot / cold cycles, shaking, pounding, and vibrating. It's remarkable that things work as well as they do. Things wear out, things break, things get loose and go out of adjustment. If I had $10 for every time I was hired to fix something and my client said, "I don't understand why?, ... it was working just a few days ago", I could retire early.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts