Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
6,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't wait to see what it looks like in person. Screw and lock-nut valve adjustment with those Dolly Parten jugs sticking right out on the sides! Shaft drive. 1800cc's of low end torque! I just hope the gas tank is at least 5 to 6 gallons. :love:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm with ya, Porky! I can imagine throwing a leg over, settling in to a cushy seat, chunking her in to first, twisting that throttle, and watching in the rearview as chunks of pavement fly back... glorious, unlimited torque!

·
6,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had 5 Beemer's and I love the brand but they can be durn expensive and the nearest dealer is 50 miles away! I really like the ease of maintenance of the 'R' series bikes with everything easy to get to.:)

Sam

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
That does sound very intriguing. We've had one R series and it was easy enough that even I could work on it. Still have my mercury sticks. Now they are fuel injected and computer controlled so all you have to do is twist the throttle and ride. But it's yet another high octane demanding engine. Found this about in regard to understanding the 95-98 RON requirement. 92 RON (the same as US Regular 87 octane), 95 RON (US Plus), or 98 RON (US Premium) Not a big deal as I have mine tuned to run on 87 octane even though it is supposed to have 93 octane. These big engines all seem to be demanding the higher octane these days. Sad part is that in some towns all I can find is 85 octane. Must just be something about west Texas 1 horse towns. I actually wonder if they are labeled wrong. Oh well, I don't worry about it. I just find it interesting.

·
6,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aside from my 2010 Buell Superbike, out of all the bikes I've owned, all ran just fine on lower octane fuel, such as 87.
In a Fuel injected and modern computer controlled engine, sensors and electronics will retard the timing if a 'knock' or pre- ignition detonation happens and all will be well.
On an older bike, just buy higher octane fuel if you hear/ feel a knocking situation.

Sam:)

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
1800cc making 90 hp. At that horsepower they should be able to get it to run on moonshine. Or Canadian rye whiskey.
We made 85hp with less than half the capacity, with push rods, over 40 years ago.
I would suggest this BMW is one of the most under stressed engines ever. I need the full details. Styling and what not. At 244 pounds for the engine and gearbox, the rest of the bike might need to be made of unobtainium, to keep the weight down.
Otherwise the Triumph 900 twin, with the 270 crank in a medium weight bike, is more inspiring for me.

UK

·
Registered
154 Posts
1800cc making 90 hp. At that horsepower they should be able to get it to run on moonshine. Or Canadian rye whiskey.
We made 85hp with less than half the capacity, with push rods, over 40 years ago.
That's 90 hp at about 3000 RPM. For reference my R1150RT makes a claimed 93 hp at about 7000 RPM. Since power = torque * RPM that means the 1800 is making a little more than 2x the torque at 3000 RPM that my 1150 makes at 7000 RPM. That is some kind of torque.

·
6,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll tell ya, after watching the video, I am in LUST :)
I can't wait to see the different examples that actually reach the streets but for me:

Obviously more front end travel, a straight and comfy seat, a nice luggage rack, cruise control, small turn indicators, large mirrors, an air cleaner instead of the 'velocity stack,' and at least a 5 gallon fuel tank:)

I like the single throttle body FI system, the Beautiful and Iconic cylinders with the chrome valve covers, the Antique black paint and the absolutely beautiful drive shaft and final drive!!

Sam:)

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
Look at the 2:58 location in the vid. Isn't that the fuel injection/throttle-body and air intake without an air filter? One of the guys even mentions the need for air box toward the end. But it looks to me like they are operating that engine without any air filter. Something some people would freak out about. But if you've ever been around old timers, you've seen engines running without filtration. I just like seeing developers doing the same thing some of us old farmer types have done for years. :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
When you have 1800cc and a long stroke, you can make a lot of grunt. Long stroke motors have to restrict maximum revs. A good theory from HR says if the engine has out of attitude problems at 6000 revs, it does not matter if the revs are kept under 5500. This idea works. But if the engine will detonate at higher revs, is it happy at the lower revs?

When you have 8 pistons firing in 2 revolutions you can make a lot of grunt. A V6 or flat six also has grunt advantages.
For me a bike has to be practical in many ways. There is no room for gear on the BMW, so it would be useless for my ride on Thursday.

We never had filters on the track bikes. We were fanatical about filters on the dirt bikes.

UK

·
American Legion Rider
18,086 Posts
I few minutes riding without a filter is not that big a deal unless you live in west Texas and won't to test a tune in a dust storm. Then you better have a filter. But some go all ape about not having one 100% of the time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts