Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Enfield out to pick up my Grandson Petrolhead. Pulled away went round the roundabout, and someone decided he would not wait for me, and pulled straight out in front of me. I missed him and did not retaliate, as I was in a good mood.
Got about half way back to my grandsons house and the bike backfired and stopped. OK i thought it must be out of petrol, so switched to reserve. After awhile got it started, and as I was putting my jacket and helmet back on, it stopped again. Could not get it to start again. Called the rescue service and was told it could be up to 3 hours wait. My Daughter passed by, and bought us some water. Tried again and found it would run but only with the choke on. Now this bike does not like choke when warm.

Yes you guessed it, I was totally out of fuel. What I thought was on was reserve. Anyway my Daughter went and got me a gallon of fuel, and all was OK again. Thats twice I have done that, but the last time was 50 years ago.

Still we all live but some of us never learn.

·
Biker
1,724 Posts
Give yourself a break already! I did that some time ago and thought that what was 'Main' tank was reserve, so when I ran outa gas I switched to what I thought was reserve, and damn near crapped in my pants with fright, there I was in the bowels of S. Venice on a freaking hot day with no gas. That happened with the mighty Snorty 1200. Luckily some good Joe came along and asked, "What's happnin?" I told him and he said he had a jerry jug at the house and brought back some gas for me. It was not much but it got me to to the gas station. I gassed up and realized that the situation could have been much worse, I did have a legal plate and insurance card but no ticket to ride. I took a good look at the petcock and saw my error. So what it came down to was NOT knowing the bike before I swung a leg over it. Ignorance can be a royal pain inee ass, and as America's first Electrician, Ben Franklin said, "Lessons the hardest bought are the best taught." He wasn't kidding.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Twice in a half a century

Decent average if you ask me!
You can shoot for another 50 years but not sure there will be Gasoline then!
I scored 1 set of 1 Gallon saddle tanks for my BMW and always had a Tanker load of fuel. 8.7 Gallon capacity.
I was used as the Fuel backup on the long haul rides. Had to IV more than a few Bikes while on the road.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Yup, did that on my Sportster years ago. I was on my lunch break from work. It was a second shift job. I was at a busy corner about 8pm with a bunch of people hanging out at the corner bar watching me trying to restart it before realizing I had it on reserve and drained it completely. I backed it to the curbside and had to walk back to work....late.

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Happened to me on the first night I began riding. I bought my Blast with 120 miles on the trip odometer. I heard petrol sloshing around but it never crossed my mind to fill it up. Sure enough, when I got to my brother's house to show off my bike, It died very quickly and wouldn't come back.

Sure enough, the darn thing was out of fuel. And then when I did get fuel in it, it didn't want to idle...that one was because the PO had the idle screw set to its lowest possible setting :)confused:) and once the auto choke turns off, it's game over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.