Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone who haunts the new rider section. I'm Ogre. I am an actor/artist living in the East SF bay area in California. I wanted a bike when gas was 4.50 a gallon, after taking the class and getting my license, gas is at 1.50 a gallon but i still want to get a bike. I have become mildly obsessed with watching craigslist for the perfect bike, and have visited some dealerships, so I have an inkling of what I am going to get, but i am sure ill want some of the veteran opinions that are floating around here.

The first question I have, and will ask it in the proper forum once i have reached the minimum number of posts, is what bike should I buy? I know this question is old and I am sure irritating to everyone who has been around a while, but I assume you are here reading these to answer silly questions.

I am looking at cruisers, The issue is I am abnormally large and worry about looking like the fat twins on the mopeds. (if you know what i mean) I am 6ft 4 inches tall and have the body shape of a professional wrestler, I like to call myself fat but friends insist I am simply gigantic. I have been reading up on The Honda shadow and like the spirit style. The bike is a 750 which i am told is to big for a beginner, but a 250 cc bike would barely move my tubby behind down the road not to mention my knees would be hitting my elbows. I also sat on a few 500cc's (ie vulcan) and felt they were just to small.

I guess my real question is for the other big riders out there, What bike do you think is comfortable for a fellow giant?

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
Welcome, enjoy the forum! Go with at least a 650, just take it easy...if you are going the cruiser route though, I imagine you could handle at least an 1100cc bike

B

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I too am 6'4", my first bike was a 500 Vulcan and it was a little on the small side but wasn't too bad. I now ride a 1500 Vulcan Nomad and the only thing that is keeping me from recommending it as a first bike is that the 800lb weight can be a little hard to balance without experience. The 500cc limit for new riders really only applies for sport bikes. If you like the 750 get it, it won't go from 30 to oh **** if you sneeze and twist the throttle like a sport bike would. Respect the power and practice and you'll be fine.

·
2005 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
338 Posts
Briang: The 500cc limit for new riders really only applies for sport bikes.
That really should be pointed out every time someone starts in on that no more than 500cc to 650cc for new riders stuff. The advice has become abbreviated to leave out the sport bike part and it's not only confusing and misleading, it's just not true without it.

800cc is doing fine by me.

Oh yeah. Welcome Ogre Tim. :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the reply's, I had planned to have to defend my plans on getting something in the 750 to 900 cc range. It makes a lot of sense that the "600cc is to much" is for a bike that weighs half as much and was designed for speed. I rode a 250 nighthawk for my MSF and it was so small I got cramps in my legs.

·
Angel's Realm Where Evil Fears To Tread
1,994 Posts
OgreTim welcome and yes we have our share of larger riders on here.
you might talk to Goliath616 he is one of our larger sized riders and he is very helpfull

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Ogretim, I started on a 750 cc cruiser and had no difficulties. Been riding 3 years now, though I've gone to the "dark side" and ride sportbikes now.

You might look, like you said, at the Shadows, a Triumph Bonneville America, or even a Harley Sportster type bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not looked much at Harley's, the price seems a little prohibitive, perhaps Ill visit the dealership and see what deals they can give.

·
Angel's Realm Where Evil Fears To Tread
1,994 Posts
Ogretim, I started on a 750 cc cruiser and had no difficulties. Been riding 3 years now, though I've gone to the "dark side" and ride sportbikes now.

Ya she needed Some thing more sexy to match her leathers so she went to the dark side.
She's my dark angel...:)

·
Knees 2 the breeze!
3,445 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Southern Illinois! Good luck finding that perfect scoot....the Shadows will haul you around nicely & are very balanced & easy to ride.....just sayin'....
God bless!
Daddio

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Chaindad, I may end up in Illinois pretty soon, I am applying to grad school at Champaign/Urbana.

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
The 750 Shadow shouldn't be too much to handle.

Consider the Kawasaki Vulcan, Yamaha V_Star and Harley Sporster as other alternatives. I think you will find that they are all in the same price range.

·
Knees 2 the breeze!
3,445 Posts
Hey Chaindad, I may end up in Illinois pretty soon, I am applying to grad school at Champaign/Urbana.
Right on brother! Good luck getting into U of Illinois! Holler if you get there....I'll cruise up & ride with ya some day this spring.....unless of course you're on a Rebel....hehe....
btw.....you're gonna need to buy a COAT!!!!
Just sayin'....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts