Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my Suzuki M50 yesterday. I have had two accidents in the last year (both shoulders dislocated and rotator cuff damage), the general standard of driving around makes me nervous (cell phone use, turning through traffic, sudden lane changes on motorways/freeways), and the old body just doesn't heal as fast as it used to. I've also just had an largish operation on my shoulder to remove a skin cancer (a piece 150 mm/6" x 40 mm/1 1/2" removed, something like 20+ stitches) which will restrict the movement of my right arm for a bit.

While I now don't have a motorbike, being a biker never leaves you. So I'll be on from time to time to check out how you're all doing, especially Unkle Krusty over there on Gabriola Island.

Regards from down under
Kiwi Steve

· Save them all!
4,293 Posts
Wow Steve!

Well first off, get well and heal! I'm at a different place in life so it's hard to think about, but that couldn't have been an easy decision. Stick around and surely check in from time to time.

Out of curiosity, what's on your radar? If you're not going for a ride, what do you want to do?

· Premium Member
11,108 Posts
Take care Steve. Thank you for the kind words. We will give you a shout next time we are there. It might be next year. Lynfield College opened in 1959, so 019 will be a big year. My brother was a first year recruit, with me 2 years later.

UK

· Gone.
17,927 Posts
I hope the healing continues and all goes well with that.

Yes, do come around as often as you'd like. Even if you're not currently riding you have a lot of experience riding and you have a lot to offer.

Heck, if nothing else you could come in and straighten a few folks out about lubricants now and then.

· Ace Tuner
4,927 Posts
Wait a second Steve.

As far as I know you're the only true oil expert we have on this forum.
You answered a question I had about oil viscosity and I was able to learn something.
I want you to know you will be missed so you gotta stop in from time to time cause we, I or somebody is bound to have more questions only you can answer.
Come to think of it I have a question now... What is the best oil made? LOL :devil:

Best wishes and here's to a speedy recovery, (Just took a shot of Chivas Regal in your honor)
SemiFast

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
28,710 Posts
I totally understand where you are Steve. I'm seriously thinking of a Mini Cooper just so I have something about the size of a scooter when I can't ride a bike or trike. Might even just skip the trike part all together. Well, hope you heal up just fine and do pop in occasion. As others have said, we need you to shut down the oil trolling that goes on in other bike sites. You do that just great.:thumbsup:

· Aging & Worn
4,646 Posts
From one “Steve” to another......I may not be that far behind you, in the choice to get off the bike for good.

I’ve had a reasonable run, with only one “love tap” accident at under 2 mph, in 33 years of riding a motorcycle, but I’m growing weary of it all.

· Registered
277 Posts
Several years ago I sold my bike and I thought I was done. At the time I had recently purchased a sports car and my wife was refusing to ride on the bike this combined with back pain made me think it was time to move on. I found I missed it more and more each year then recently a good friend called me and asked if I would be interested in his bike because he just wasn't using it enough I jumped at the opportunity. I have only had the bike for about a week now but I feel like I can't get enough seat time. I had a bit of a fuel issue last week and hydro locked the engine and new I'm getting antsy to ride while I'm waiting for parts.

I wish you the best I hope you get well soon but don't be surprised it you change your mind an ride again in the future. Life is not over until you take your last breath!

· Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
4,335 Posts
Maybe the riding bug will get you, even if it takes awhile. Even getting a small scooter to just ride around the home area can be enough to satisfy the riding urge. If you really have to give up riding for good then I hope you find something else that satisfies that desire, like a small convertible.

I was in my late 50's when I had a small accident on my bike, but with complications that set in I almost didn't survive. A nine hour lung operation and 60 days in Intensive Care left me weak and totally debilitated (I ended up missing over 4 months of work, but thankfully worked for a good company which kept my position open). Riding wasn't even an option for a few years, and when I then had to have double knee replacements as well, my family was seriously hoping that I had put riding firmly behind me. But the desire to ride was strong, and I bought a highway capable scooter which met my desires for two years before getting back on a real motorcycle. I hope that I never reach the point of having to stop altogether, but if I do I know I will not be just finishing my life out by sitting on the couch and watching TV all day and night. Even if its just an old beat up convertible I will be trying to keep "the wind in my hair" for as long as I live on the green side of the grass.

Good luck with whatever you end up deciding to do, but I hope you find something to keep the blood pumping strong and hot so you can keep young at heart.

Reactions: mike721

· Registered
857 Posts
That's sad to hear, but I can completely understand your though process. Riding to work, I always feel like I got away with something when I make it to the office and back home in one piece. Those relaxing weekend rides with barley a soul around are what keeps me coming back. Those goofy Polaris Slingshots look like a lot of fun, but the fact that there's no frame against your ribs and the average car's bumper is about even with your chin makes me scared to find out for myself.

· SUPER MODERATOR
10,555 Posts
Take care Steve, you will be missed!:smile_big:

Maybe you should move to the United States where it's safer to ride:grin:

55 years, 85 bikes and no accidents whatsoever except during motorcycle competition on tracks, in the desert and the mountains:grin:

See ya:wink2:

Sam:nerd:

· Aging & Worn
4,646 Posts
............. I have only had the bike for about a week now but I feel like I can't get enough seat time. I had a bit of a fuel issue last week and hydro locked the engine and new I'm getting antsy to ride while I'm waiting for parts.........
Although I understand that your intent was to highlight the way that “riding” stays in our blood, what REALLY shows up, is the reality check about bad choices!

I can’t THINK of a more poignant example than the one you just elaborated on, as relates to having the bike you bought, needing repair.

I regret having made a few of my own choices. During my riding life. But none would frustrate me more, than to go back into it, only to have to be sidelined by a bike that breaks down!

Don’t say, “it happens to all bikes,” because it has been MY experience that (knock on wood) that’s not the case. “Stuff breaks,” yes, but good solid rational choices reduce the risk of that happening.

Philosophically, life is a crapshoot, and I wouldn’t say “don’t do it” because of the odds; but I WOULD say, “cut your losses” and “quit while you’re ahead,”

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
16,684 Posts
Although I understand that your intent was to highlight the way that “riding” stays in our blood, what REALLY shows up, is the reality check about bad choices!

I can’t THINK of a more poignant example than the one you just elaborated on, as relates to having the bike you bought, needing repair.

I regret having made a few of my own choices. During my riding life. But none would frustrate me more, than to go back into it, only to have to be sidelined by a bike that breaks down!

Don’t say, “it happens to all bikes,” because it has been MY experience that (knock on wood) that’s not the case. “Stuff breaks,” yes, but good solid rational choices reduce the risk of that happening.

Philosophically, life is a crapshoot, and I wouldn’t say “don’t do it” because of the odds; but I WOULD say, “cut your losses” and “quit while you’re ahead,”

I'm guessing you haven't been following DGS saga. Perhaps you should read his thread on this bike. As an aside have you found a new job yet?

· Registered
5 Posts
Totally get where you are coming from. I do more building than riding, but I love bikes. Lost a friend last summer in a completely avoidable accident. Driver turned in front of him and he never had a chance to avoid crash.

Steve
Durham, NC

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
16,684 Posts
This is my fifth week on a new job. Still in Quality Assurance. Thinking seriously about Retiring in March of 2019. If so, I will file in January, for SSI.
Glad to hear that. When do you turn 66? You should be able to start it on line and then hold it for near a year if you are old enough.

· Administrator
2,158 Posts
No such thing, "ex-biker" once it is in your blood you are stuck with it. I dont blame you though everyday I think about stopping driving a truck because of the very same stupidity, add to it the DOT, State Police, chasing us around like we are criminals.

Once a biker always a biker.
Once a trucker always a trucker.

You may not do it anymore actively, but you will always have that urge, that draw to the grind of the road.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.