Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

TL: DR - It's $30k.

What does that $30k get you?

- 110 miles of city range (less on the highway because less regen will be used and drag).
- 0-60 of 3.5s.
- 100-ish mph top speed.

Charging

Level 1 (standard household outlet): 13 miles range per hour of charge.
Level 2: LiveWire can be connected to a Level 2 charge unit but will be charged at the Level 1 rate.
Level 3 (DC Fast Charge): 192 miles range per hour charged.

My Buell Blast really only went 100 miles of any kind of riding before it needed a drink, so the range isn't that big of a deal to me. And if you have access to a level 3 charger the thing will charge hilariously fast.

The lack of Level 2 charging and the price give HD a huge disadvantage against competitors.

A high end Zero will go basically double the miles, faster, lighter, and for half the cost. I do think the Harley looks A LOT better than the Zero (why do so many bikes look like the offspring of a Ducati and a Grom) but I'm not sure it'll be $15k better.

What do you think? Will this bike sell well? Is Harley pulling a Tesla and releasing the expensive EV bike first then moving down market? Would you buy one?

Reactions: BWB75

·
So long
2,739 Posts
I just bought a new bike in November. I did not consider electric bikes due to the range limitations.

I don't think Harley is pulling a Tesla, because Tesla cars are surprisingly quick. If the Livewire's performance numbers in your post are accurate, the Livewire is about as fast 0-60 as a BMW R1200GS and Harley's now defunct V-Rod. Yes, that's faster Harleys' current gas powered line up, but that's nothing to brag about.

·
Nightfly
4,603 Posts
I wouldn't consider buying any electric bike. I'm a Harley guy but their pricing is going to kill them with the young market.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I actually prefer the looks of the Zero.

The HD looks awkward - Like the unwell love child of a Ducati and old home heating appliance.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I prefer the lines of the Harley over the Zero.
But I'm confused. If the range of the Live Wire is 110 miles on a charge, how can a level 3 (fast charge) give you 192 miles?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I too like the lines of the Livewire, now all it needs is a larger fuel tank and a 1200cc gas motor....:smile_big:

·
American Legion Rider
26,009 Posts
Well they both look basically the same to me. Especially if you would consider that silver part, which I'm guessing is the motor, was painted black. The silver of what ever that part is, is just unnecessarily standing out being silver to my eye. But no way am I paying $30 to chase cows. Why the heck not offer cheaper smaller ones as well?

·
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I prefer the lines of the Harley over the Zero.
But I'm confused. If the range of the Live Wire is 110 miles on a charge, how can a level 3 (fast charge) give you 192 miles?
I ripped that out of the press release. Apparently the level 3 charge rate (like a Tesla Supercharger) is 192 miles per hour, which is more than the battery can hold.

A better worded statistic would be a full charge from 0% in less than an hour.

But it looks like you can't even install a level 3 at home so most people riding this bike will be stuck charging 13 miles per hour like a lead acid home brew from 2008.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
I like it a lot:grin: I wouldn't buy one at that price though:surprise:

It would be perfect for my daily commute of 22 miles total:smile_big:

And being a Harley, I wouldn't feel bad about wearing all of my Harley Pirate clothes and club Vest:smile:

Something named "ZERO," is stupid like in a zero IQ or zero excitement:wink2:

HD still resonates with those of discerning tastes:grin:

Sam:nerd:

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
I ripped that out of the press release. Apparently the level 3 charge rate (like a Tesla Supercharger) is 192 miles per hour, which is more than the battery can hold.

A better worded statistic would be a full charge from 0% in less than an hour.

But it looks like you can't even install a level 3 at home so most people riding this bike will be stuck charging 13 miles per hour like a lead acid home brew from 2008.
My question was meant to be more rhetorical, but thanks for the clarification.

Amazes me what people will tolerate simply because something is "New" or "Cool". If any company introduced a "fossil fuel" powered model that allowed you to drive to a destination 110 miles away, then you had to wait at the gas station for 8 hours before you could return home, folks would think it's a joke.
I almost slapped a friend of mine who told me he would consider going electric if gas prices ever get near $4.00 per gallon again. He told me this while drinking a $6.00 cup of coffee. No problem spending $60.00 per gallon of coffee, but $4/gallon gas is unacceptable. ;)

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
The only people that would consider the Livewire at this point in evolution are young urban riders. The exact same people that will not and cannot spend $30k on a motorcycle. HD had an uphill battle with this one from the beginning. They killed all hope with that price.

·
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amazes me what people will tolerate simply because something is "New" or "Cool". If any company introduced a "fossil fuel" powered model that allowed you to drive to a destination 110 miles away, then you had to wait at the gas station for 8 hours before you could return home, folks would think it's a joke.
I almost slapped a friend of mine who told me he would consider going electric if gas prices ever get near $4.00 per gallon again. He told me this while drinking a $6.00 cup of coffee. No problem spending $60.00 per gallon of coffee, but $4/gallon gas is unacceptable. ;)
I know, right?

I've driven the electric version of my car. The instant torque is an absolute hoot and the lack of an engine note was pretty relaxing. However, with only 100 miles on tap on a good day (60 miles in the winter) it can't be a daily driver. "No problem" I'm told, "just use it as a second car for short errands". That seems like a lot of money for a commuter/grocery getter. But even then, since my work doesn't have a charger and neither does my condo complex, I would only be able to charge at the village hall or local pharmacy. Who wants to randomly mill around a village hall or drug store for a few hours while your car/bike gets anywhere near usable range?

·
Premium Member
9,892 Posts
The financial news is working at upgrading the E HD image. But it is BS in my opinion. Quote. That is a sweet looking bike, from a lady who likely has never been on a bike.
E bikes are new according to an HD lady. Meanwhile the main news mouth goes on about how good it is. I think it will fall flat.
Have any of these folks been paying attention, to the real world these past few years. The many races that the E bikes have been competing in. Like the IOM
With four wheels Don Garlits has an aim to break 200 at the drag strip. He might be there, was at 185 last I checked.

Meanwhile a kid in Nanaimo BC put a battery and E motor in a CB600. Sais it was simple enough and did not cost too much.
Back to the HD. From the riders seat back, it sucks. Imagine how secure a passenger would feel. Wet roads would be exciting in a dress. Many sport bikes have the same problem.
Look up Bathtub Triumph for the other extreme.

UK

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Electric Dreams?

No more "potato, potato, potato."

The new sound is like an electric forklift truck.

What? No foot forward electric cruiser? :confused:

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
I don't care for either of them, although I like the idea of a silent electric bike.
Both the Harley and the Zero look terrible for passengers.
Personally, I like the Lightning 218. It'll leave both of them in the dust with a top end of 218 mph.
And with the optional large battery, the range is supposed to be around 170 miles "if driven reasonably".
I don't know how you are supposed to drive a bike like that reasonably though.
A twist of the wrist and you are GONE!

Attachments

·
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An electric hyperbike that also has good range? Holy smokes, not even many normal hyperbikes can do that. That Lightning also comes in at $39k which considering the ferocious speed and tech, not bad. The Ninja H2R can beat its speed but it'll cost you $50k to get it. :O

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
When electric bikes have 300 mile range and a 30 minute recharge from a 110 outlet, and the price is about the same as an internal combustion engine, then I would consider an electric. Not before.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts