Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
The guy at the parts desk at the bike shop I was in last Saturday. After telling me he had been to a few track days, and was getting better, went on to explain there were two older guys who could leave him in the dust. He gave me the first name of a guy over 60, and said the other local guy was like 80 something. 77 I told him. How do you know who I am talking about he asked?

I told him track days are one thing, but actually racing against the guy he was talking about, was another thing. Not sure if he believed me or not. My name was correct. Good friend and competitor since about 1970.

Back to the OT. Agreed. Riding does breath a little life in to the system.

UK

·
Registered
781 Posts
Has somebody been spying on me?

Like a lot of um, seasoned riders, I never had a motorcycle endorsement. Didn't need one when I started riding. When it finally became a law, I was 'grandfathered' in. Then I moved to a new State and started driving professionally. My bike riding was limited and the local cops didn't really care if you had an endorsement or not. Once I retired, I started riding again...a lot! I needed an endorsement so I wouldn't go to jail and have my bike impounded. I jumped thru all the hoops and passed with flying colors. The Lady at the DMV, after passing me, wanted to know why, after 40 years of driving a truck, I wanted to now go out and kill myself on a bike.

'How old are you?' She said.

'72'. Said I

'And you want to start riding a bike now? You're going to kill yourself.'

'Mam', said I, 'I've been riding since I was 12 and built my first mini bike. I'll be fine.'

She grudgingly printed out my temp, and handed it to me. 'Good luck,' She said with a frown.

I'll never be as good as I thought I was, and I'm definitely not in the same category as UK. But.....whenever I swing a leg over the saddle, I feel like I'm in my 30's again. It's not the same as it was, true. It's better! Riding the back roads relaxes me, clears my head, brings a smile to my face, and just makes everything right with the world. A lot of kids think it's the danger, thrill, challenge, excitement in riding a bike. Nah, they got it all wrong. It's the peace and tranquility it brings to an old man.

·
Aussie Cruizer
145 Posts
I get up in the mornings, feeling not too bad, but then I look in the mirror & see this old codger staring back at me… :sad:
Thinking what the hell happened… LOL :grin: But it all goes away when I jump on my bike & start riding...
But I’m grateful that I have got to see my hair turn grey as a lot of friend I know haven’t… :crying:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think that generally speaking, given reasonable health, the hand-eye coordination doesn’t evaporate all that quickly, especially for a seasoned rider who has stayed modestly in practice… and it will surprise non-riding folks. I found out after a 3-4 year hiatus (now in the 70s) the skills come back reasonably well – a little discipline, and cautious practice… I have no intention of track days (am only a street rider), but I’m finding that I can still enjoy what I used to enjoy and for some reason this bike likes things about ten miles an hour faster than my previous two (sport-tourer v. cruiser). I always look at Steve Wittman (one of the more successful round-the-pylon race pilots), who by any measure was competitive into his mid-80s… that would be insane for a new 80-year old pilot, but he had decades of practice, and the hand-eye coordination was still there; and no, he wasn’t orbiting at the back of the pack…

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
I think that generally speaking, given reasonable health, the hand-eye coordination doesn’t evaporate all that quickly, especially for a seasoned rider who has stayed modestly in practice… and it will surprise non-riding folks. I found out after a 3-4 year hiatus (now in the 70s) the skills come back reasonably well – a little discipline, and cautious practice… I have no intention of track days (am only a street rider), but I’m finding that I can still enjoy what I used to enjoy and for some reason this bike likes things about ten miles an hour faster than my previous two (sport-tourer v. cruiser). I always look at Steve Wittman (one of the more successful round-the-pylon race pilots), who by any measure was competitive into his mid-80s… that would be insane for a new 80-year old pilot, but he had decades of practice, and the hand-eye coordination was still there; and no, he wasn’t orbiting at the back of the pack…
I get to test the hand eye coordination most Friday nights playing darts. My game does not change much during 1, 2, or 3 beers.
4 can start to be a problem.
Decided to not mention getting home.

UK

·
Registered
322 Posts
I get up in the mornings, feeling not too bad, but then I look in the mirror & see this old codger staring back at me… :sad:
Thinking what the hell happened… LOL :grin: But it all goes away when I jump on my bike & start riding...
But I’m grateful that I have got to see my hair turn grey as a lot of friend I know haven’t… :crying:
Yeah, what the hell happened? I was helping a relative move today...slow going. Then 5 male relatives in their 20's showed up and the truck was loaded in what seemed like 60 seconds...this after another codger and I spent half an hour loading a single love seat...old, fat and weak...dang!

The ride home on the cycle, little freeway traffic, heading West, 82 degrees, sun setting dead ahead, reflecting off the blacktop and illuminating the worn tire paths...blazing orange with a blue sky...floating down the road at 70...man, I was 17 again...except my 100 pound, green eyed, redhead high-school girlfriend wasn't on the back...oh those days.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Are you traveling alone? Used to get asked that question and it was like "Wow, you're traveling by motorcycle across the country by yourself!"

Now "Are you traveling alone?" is asked like "Do your keepers know where you're at?"

Yep, i'm still traveling alone, live in my own house too. :)

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
Yesterday I picked up an XS1100 bike for parts. The guy I bought it from had loaded it on his truck the evening before. He pulled a muscle in his arm loading it, and could not help much with the transfer to my trailer.
This morning I backed my trailer under the sky hook, connected the bike to the chain hoist and lifted it up, drove the trailer away, and lowered it to the ground. I took a pic during the operation with a note that said, No seniors were hurt during the unloading of this motorcycle.

It is now mostly stripped of bits. All going in a big bin for possible use in the future. The front forks are going on Yami this afternoon.
New fork seals are still to arrive.

UK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.