Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Suzuki s40. While doing one of my safety inspections I noticed these markings on my belt that seem odd. I don't recall seeing them previously. I have taken sproket cover off and checked all the cracks crevices on both the front and rear sprocket. I don't feel any sharp or jagged edges anywheres. Marks go all around the belt. Maybe I picked up a rock and it found its way out?? Any other ideas?

Attachments

·
The 43rd Poser
440 Posts
Looks like a rock... and looks like you got lucky-ish.

Keep an eye on it, as I have been wrong many times before.

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
How many would change the belt? I know I would be getting another one in stock and change it if I saw any difference or the tire needed to be changed. I know they are tough, but I don't know if I would trust it for another 7,000 miles when I need to change the tire.

I'm changing my belt next tire change anyway, it will be at 30,000 miles.

·
American Legion Rider
23,693 Posts
That's why I hate to inspect mine. The amount of gravel I travel I know there is grit in there. If it needs adjusting I do but that's about it. I really don't want to know how bad it is. It's a given it will break at some point. I don't want to worry every single mile. Just not much I can do about it so why worry. I just feel for missing or loose on one side teeth. Other than that it's a go.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be needing a back tire next season at some point so I will probably change it out then. I will keep an eye in it to make sure it doesn't get any worse. Just wanted to make sure its ok

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
I see absolutely no reason to replace that belt at this time. It has superficial damage.

On a Harley I'd say that belt has a good 40,000 miles left on it, maybe more. I assume Suzuki belts are also well made.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
As long as it don't get any worse I'll probably stick with the f it, too much like work attitude.
Word.

Just take a few minutes to make sure there isn't any crud crammed down into the roots of any of sprocket's teeth and it likely won't get worse.

See how the marks on all the teeth look similar, especially on the front edges? That means that there was, or is, something stuck in the bottoms of one or more teeth. Rotate the rear wheel, a little at the time, and make sure every tooth looks clean. If you see some grit built up, just brush it clean. You're out of maybe 15 minutes and the job is done.

Same goes for the front sprocket. (Depending on your bike it might be a little harder to get access to though.)

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
to me, untrained as I am and never have taken a belt off, it looks almost like the sprocket is slipping a little.....now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it is, but having that small divot between grooves....anyway, like the others said, check out the sprockets as best you can and keep an eye on it.

there, this is my monthly post, I can go quiet again :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked the nut on the front sprocket and it seems tight, there's no play in the sprocket. I tried to wiggle the back sprocket but there's no movement in that as well. Cleaned out as much of the sprockets as I could. If it gets any worse then I will disassemble the sprockets to get a better look at them and a better cleaning. The belt seems centered correctly, not too loose not too tight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts