Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Italika DM150 (I'm in Mexico for the winter). A few months ago, the clutch developed a quirk: if I tried to pull it in & start in 1st gear, the start button wouldn't work until I let it out a little... it's been like that ever since.

A couple days ago, the start button stopped working entirely and the Neutral indicator went off. When I dropped the bike down a curb (to start it by rolling down a hill), the Neutral indicator came on & the button worked again. So it seems that something's loose.

Now, if I can get the Neutral indicator to come on, when I push the start button, as soon as I hear the solenoid click, the indicator shuts off & power dies. No power is getting to the starter (which does nothing).

Also: if the Neutral indicator is on and the bike is not running, as soon as I turn on the lights (right side controls) OR signal L/R (left side controls), the indicator shuts off & power dies.

If the bike IS running, the lights and signals work, but the indicators all sort of flicker as the engine runs... again, almost like there's a loose connection somewhere.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? I'd like to fix this myself if I can (I've looked at the manual, but it's shorter than the manual for my DVD player lol). Any help appreciated!

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
Always start with the battery. Make sure the connections are clean and tight. Then you need to start jiggling wire harnesses until the lights flicker. I would also be suspect of the starter interlock switch. It is a small switch that the clutch lever activates. You stated that at times you have to let the clutch lever out a bit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: Yep... Always check the battery

I put the battery on a tender overnight & it's running OK again. Good lesson, one that I'll always remember: no matter how odd the symptoms, it could just be a weak battery. Thanks for the advice...

·
Greatest Member Ever
662 Posts
I put the battery on a tender overnight & it's running OK again. Good lesson, one that I'll always remember: no matter how odd the symptoms, it could just be a weak battery. Thanks for the advice...
Thank YOU for the update!! Not everyone takes the time to come back and let us know we helped. Ride safe!!!

Jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts