Motorcycle Forum banner

*obligatory motorcyclist nod*

3K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Porky 
#1 ·
looking to further my knowledge of all things motorcycle and offer my limited knowledge as and when I can. (Mine is the Yam).
Ride Safe ✌

See less See more
#10 ·

It seems there has always been a motorcycle wave but I honestly don't know when the two fingers wave started nor why. Anyone know? And here at least as it was in Missouri when I lived there many moons ago, so do famers/ranchers in pickups. So I seem to be always waving at someone. Interesting difference in the wave with farmers/ranches is many times it's just one finger and no, it's not that one.

#13 ·
Welcome! I've heard that the 2 fingers down represents keeping 2 wheels on the road but not sure if it's truely how it started.
I will say that many in the Victory motorcycle riding community turn that around and we recognize each other with a high V for Victory sign!

#17 ·
I try to wave at every biker i see, im sorry if i didnt see you or had my hands busy. I usually do the low or straight out wave, most cruisers give me the 2 fingers down. Ill nod if my hands are busy and cant wave. Im learning not to wave on the freeway, just nod. I respect all bikes and riders.

#18 ·
I had a guy waving his hand wildly at me yesterday. I think he was a newbie like me just really excited to be riding on such a beautiful day. I waved back a little more discreetly. Maybe he knew me? Or we had matching helmets?

Most of the Moto Guzzi reviews on Youtube are from English guys riding on the "wrong" side. Freaks me out to watch!

#29 ·
Yeah, it's that middle finger that confuses me that EC refers to. So safer to just throw all 5 out. The head flipped back as a nod also comes in handy as it's so easy to fall asleep on this tricycle I have now. Far far too easy. So oncoming bikers helps keep me awake.

Reactions: Maxpressure520
#25 ·
--

Well, Mike, why we bikers wave to each other?
It's kind of like this: The nodding you see from younger guys is a sort of way to toss their head back as if saying "Hey, look at me. I'm pretty cool on this bike. What do you think?" While the proper response from the other bike is to throw their head back while saying: "Yeah, Bro, you lookin' cool!"

Now if it's some chick that looks like she's nodding, well, actually she's just trying to throw her hair back from in front of her eyes as the wind blows up and around a windshield and back towards the front of one's head. If the other party of the affected pair at the time notices this gesture of femininity, and is a male of normal persuasion, then he will nod back saying, in effect: "Hey, Babe, you is lookin' real good!" On the other hand, should the other party of the affected pair be of the same sex as the winsome chick, then her nod means something to the effect of: "You (rhymes with Bro), get on down the road or I'll throw your head back!"

If the nod is first coming from an older senior type person, then this is normally recognized as an attempt to stay awake by the party of the first part. Hopefully the rapid movement of the head will stimulate the blood vessels in the eyelids and help rejuvenate them. The proper response then, which is transmitted by a condescending nod, is: "Hey, you old fart, I'm glad you're going the other way."

Now as to the hand down to the side, that's easy to explain. As when we first start up our bikes using some choke, we occasionally forget to push the choke back in right away. In a friendly manner, we therefore try to remind passing bikes that they should reach down there in the area of the hand and check to make sure the choke is fully off. This is good as it keeps the bike from getting too much carbon in the engine's combustion chamber--but then that's getting technical, so I'll not get into that. I want to make sure I stay with the brief important facts. The other rider will usually also reach down there where the choke is to say (almost as if it were a form of sign language shared only by compatriots on bikes, so to speak) something like: "Oh, thanks for reminding me to check my choke to be sure it's all the way in so I don't get too much carboning up inside my engine."

Anyway, Mike, do you have a question?

RonK .

--

#27 ·
If the nod is first coming from an older senior type person, then this is normally recognized as an attempt to stay awake by the party of the first part. Hopefully the rapid movement of the head will stimulate the blood vessels in the eyelids and help rejuvenate them. The proper response then, which is transmitted by a condescending nod, is: "Hey, you old fart, I'm glad you're going the other way."
Hey! I resemble those remarks. :eek:

S F

Reactions: Maxpressure520
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.