Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,488 Posts
Welcome from Kansas.

It's not a nod here, it's a low wave, without the actual wave. I guess maybe a low 4 finger point?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome from Kansas.

It's not a nod here, it's a low wave, without the actual wave. I guess maybe a low 4 finger point?
Ah yeah I’ve heard this actually, because we ride on the left and our right hand is occupied by the throttle we have to settle for a polite English nod instead... But no doubt the low wave is cooler

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,543 Posts
Ah yeah I’ve heard this actually, because we ride on the left and our right hand is occupied by the throttle we have to settle for a polite English nod instead... But no doubt the low wave is cooler

Another reason why you should 'drive' on the right side of the road.

Proper way,

Maybe not the best time to wave

·
American Legion Rider
26,026 Posts

It seems there has always been a motorcycle wave but I honestly don't know when the two fingers wave started nor why. Anyone know? And here at least as it was in Missouri when I lived there many moons ago, so do famers/ranchers in pickups. So I seem to be always waving at someone. Interesting difference in the wave with farmers/ranches is many times it's just one finger and no, it's not that one.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,488 Posts
Any wave or recognition is cool. But there is an unwritten rule about waving within a certain distance of a large bike rally like Sturgis, or one hand would be off the grip, like, forever. I thought maybe a gloved mannequin hand and arm attachment might solve the issue. :)
There were long stretches of one hand riding on the pig trail last time in Arkansas.🙂

·
Visionary
5,279 Posts
Welcome! I've heard that the 2 fingers down represents keeping 2 wheels on the road but not sure if it's truely how it started.
I will say that many in the Victory motorcycle riding community turn that around and we recognize each other with a high V for Victory sign!

Reactions: Maxpressure520

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,543 Posts
Ask Krusty what two fingers up reply to two fingers down means :)

·
Registered
2015 custom/ modded Yamaha R3
1,203 Posts
I try to wave at every biker i see, im sorry if i didnt see you or had my hands busy. I usually do the low or straight out wave, most cruisers give me the 2 fingers down. Ill nod if my hands are busy and cant wave. Im learning not to wave on the freeway, just nod. I respect all bikes and riders.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a guy waving his hand wildly at me yesterday. I think he was a newbie like me just really excited to be riding on such a beautiful day. I waved back a little more discreetly. Maybe he knew me? Or we had matching helmets?

Most of the Moto Guzzi reviews on Youtube are from English guys riding on the "wrong" side. Freaks me out to watch!

·
Registered
2015 custom/ modded Yamaha R3
1,203 Posts
As a motorcyclist its your duty to not feel bad when they dont wave back. Their hands are busy, or they didnt see you, suk it up and ride on.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts