Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so just saw this forum, and wanted to learn a lot more about bikes, the mechanics, and little tips and tricks on riding. i saw the sport bike warning how it is'nt a good first bike, but was wondring if that was limited to shorter/smaller guys and gals, or if it was pretty standard. i know i was looking for something i could keep for quite a while, and one that i could possibly tinker with (considering a slip on exhaust, and i guess nothing beyond that??) but as i mentioned before, i dont know the bits a pieces to a bike like i do a car, so any input as to bike choice and mechanics would be awesome (even a url to a good read would be cool).
thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
988 Posts
As far as the sport bike riding is concerned it is more of a warning for the supersport bikes (inline 4 cylinder with 600cc or larger displacement), as they are not good FOR ANY BEGINNER. However, there are plenty of the regular 2 cylinder sport bikes that aren't bad starters. Of the sport bike variety the two most recommended would be the Ninja 250R or Ninja 500 or if you are a large individual even the 2 cylinder 650 Ninja wouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright. thanks guys, and one more thing. how long did you guys keep your first bikes? dont know if this is an unfounded fear i have, or if it is legit, but i dont wanna buy a bike and realize its 'too small' or i just outgrow it way too quickly.

·
Registered
988 Posts
alright. thanks guys, and one more thing. how long did you guys keep your first bikes? dont know if this is an unfounded fear i have, or if it is legit, but i dont wanna buy a bike and realize its 'too small' or i just outgrow it way too quickly.
Honestly it all depends on the individual. Some people move on after a few months, others keep their bikes for years and years and there are some who are somewhere in between.

We might be able to help you narrow it down a bit if you give us the following:

1. Your height and weight

2. What you plan on using it for (commuting around town, frequent road trips, etc.)

3. Do you have any kind of prior riding experience (ie occasionally riding a friends bike, riding dirt bikes/scooters, or have you never operated a 2 wheel motorized vehicle before).

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
don't worry about the bike being "to small" after a time. It's better to learn on a small bike and live long enough to buy a bigger one. Besides, depending on the use, a small bike can be tons of fun! Granted, you won't want to run cross country on a 250, but it will be some time before you're ready for an iron butt ride.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
On a GZ250? :eek: I test rode one and there is no way I could handle more than an hour or two on one.
All butts/backs/arms/legs are not created equal.
To me, the Nighthawk felt like I wouldn't last on it for 10 minutes. :biggrin:

I DID stop to stretch about every 90 minutes.....and HAD to stop every 2 hours for gas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts