Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am from Malaysia and I have 2 Honda NSR's and I have been rebuilding one of the two for the past year. I am an IT graduate and have not received any formal training in automotive or engine builds so please pardon me if i get some techinicalities and names or parts wrong. . I sent my engine to be rebuilt by a local engine builder and it was already pre-tuned, so all i had to do was plug it in :). Then engine was a stock 150cc 2 stroker which had already siezed.

Engine was rebuilt with a new pistons, racing bearings, new rod, ported head for higher compression, boyeson reed valves and a 175cc mikuni carburator. It also has a HRC Racing Exhaust system.

Aight, enuf said , here are some pics and I will explain as I post.

I bought the bike for MYR 3000, about USD 800. It had never met wiht an accident, or even fallen off despite being made in 1996. unfortunately the day I bought it, It fell off the stand in the shop when I was about to pick it up damaging the front fairings thanks to the jack ass worker who parked it outiside on uneven ground. they gave me a MYR 300 discount.
Here is how it looked.

Then when I got it home, I got my uncle to help me get the engine running, as I metioned before I stil have alot to learn about putting an engine together.

Sorry for the dodgy pics as I didnt have any intention of uploading it to a forum then.

The reason why the engine would not fire up was because,

1. Air filters were soaked in oil restricting air flow
2. Exhaust chambers and muffler had so much of carbon build up and no way for exhaust to flow.
3. Carburators were not serviced and jets were cloged.

We cut the exhaust and removed all carbon, removed the inner layer of the exhaust so that it makes a more louder tin like noise. :).

We got rid of the air filter and cleaned the jets and with fresh fuel ( High octane - Ron 100) It started up first kick :)

We then cleaned it up a bit , rewelded the exhaust and put it back together.

I used it for 3 months before the night mare started.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nightmare Begins

After three months of riding, I started hearing knocks in the engine when I was de-cellerating. It looked like this when it was still in good nick.

These is all the original parts about 10 years old still on the bike and I made up my mind that it needs an engine rebuild and more performance new parts to be bolted on.

So as I mentioned earlier, I removed the engine and sent in to the local engine builder and got him to bolt on some of the performance parts that I purchased while he was at it.

My Family was about to leave for Thailand and I jumped the bandwagon. I was in Hatyai for a week and got most of the NSR parts i wanted there at bargain price.

I bought, a race adjustable absorber, rear lowering brackets, a new set of covers with Thai Spec Headlights, new meter and rev meter cables and lots of other alloy stuff which I havent bolted on yet. When I came back, the engine was done and I bolted on some of the parts together with the HRC exhaust I bought and started Running the engine in for about 2000km's. Here is how it looked like before I tore it down again 2 weeks ago after running it in for a paint job and a freshen up of the frame which I will be cleaning. I am not painting the frame as it is still in good nic and it will maintain the value of the bike in case I sell it in the future.

The new cover set and lights.

Adjustable Absorber and and Lowering bracket- lowers the bike about 3 inches.

Raised racing foot pegs, gear and brake controls - Racing boy - alloy

My Bike is a NSR RR 150, there is also an older version call the NSR RC.

I bought the front brake disc of that bike and simply bolted in on to my rear as it is a larger diameter disc and had to frabicate the caliper mounts.

New Radiator Cap

Bike has only done 19,000 + Km's- these are geniune miles.

Lastly Batlax tires on the front 17" and rear 18"

Next is the strip down and rejuvinate process. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rebuild

I started stripping my bike down about 2 weeks ago if i am not mistaken. here is how it look liked before i started the tear down.

Then it began loosing weight.

Stripped most of the parts that needs paint or polishing.

Marked the forks with a marker pen as this ride height and dampening has been the best one yet. So I am not planning to mess with it.

That was about it for that day. Cleaned up the garage abit and went of to study as I have exams in 12 days.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The next day, after completing some chores and study time, spent about 2 hours on stripping the rest of the bike and sent it off to paint. The process as follows.

While I was at it, discovered that ony of my exhaust port screws were looses and it was leaking stuff from there. Removed the exhaust and will purchase new packings soon to insulate the exhaust and prevent future leaks.

Electronic Power valve and engine control unit - HRC

Front Cowling

Check that ass out ...

Radiatior Time

All the other stuff that came off

My precious HRC Exhaust

Front shaft with speedometer gear

Part of the wiring harness

This is how she stands for now. On 4 cAR jack stands instead of two wheels.

I whould be getting all the parts needed ot be polished and painted back soon and will update them... Adios...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was also about to remove the alloy plate on the top of the fork for polish but will do it later.

Here is my other bike, which is a twin to the current one being rebuilt. she has black shoes instead of white.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found some time 2 days ago to get the metal plate at the top of the handle bars out to get it polished and also removed the absorbers. I will not have time till the 5th to get back to it due to exams. Here is how she stands for now.

The removed parts.

Misus has banned me from doing anything further till i get through my exams. Will update when i get back to it next Year.. HAPPY NEW YEAR people.

·
Shantytown Mayor
4,706 Posts
DUDE! NSR's rock! Looks like you havea couple of real fun bikes to work on and ride. I wish they had more 2 stroke street bikes here in the US. Aboutt he most popular 2 stroke sportbike here was the RZ350 and I should have bought the pair of them I found in good shape back about 15 years ago for $1000USD each.:mad: But I didn't 'cause I was broke.

Like you, I'm banned from buying any more bikes by the missus.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks man, they are quite fun to ride as they are nimble around the corners. :) RZ350, wow, thats old school, i think they were made in 1984 if i am not mistaken, they are very cool, i have always admired 2 cylinder 2 storkers unfortunately i have not seen one here since the mid 90's... my countries environmental department is not as strict as yours which is why 2 stroke bike are still in healthy numbers here, lol, if you dont mind me asking, what bikes do you have in your garage currently ?

·
Shantytown Mayor
4,706 Posts
Right now I have my 07 Kawasaki Ninja 500, the kids Yamaha PW80 dirtbike. I sold the Honda 750 a little while back. I have the 4 wheeled dirt machines too. The 02 Yamaha Raptor 660R (the one in the avatar) and a06 Yamaha Bruin 350.

We don't even have too many 2 stroke dirtbikes here anymore.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now I have my 07 Kawasaki Ninja 500, the kids Yamaha PW80 dirtbike. I sold the Honda 750 a little while back. I have the 4 wheeled dirt machines too. The 02 Yamaha Raptor 660R (the one in the avatar) and a06 Yamaha Bruin 350.

We don't even have too many 2 stroke dirtbikes here anymore.

Whoaah... a garage of a typical motorhead and a cool collection too :) my primary mode of trasport are my bikes, i do have a car but it is setup for drift and it is not street legal, my misus's car will be the one to use when i need to :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally, I got through my exams, first pit stop after the testing center wasthe paint shop and the polish shop where i picked up the forks, arm, wheels body parts, polished gast tank cover and fork top plate.

I have got time to unwrap them for more detailed pictures as It was already night fall and I am working 12 hours today. I am off tommorow and will be working on my NSR tommorow. here are some pics. I will load more end of tommorow.

The fork top plate, where the ignition key goes in.

Gas Cap

The frame still as I left it.

Here are the painted parts wrapped as i didnt have time to open them and also I wanted to store them so didnt want to mrk or scratch them. I will open my christmast presents tommorow.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I visited a bike accesory shop which specializes in alloy parts and here is what i got.

Grips

Handle Bars

Side Mirror

Brake and Clutch Lever

Front and rear foot pegs.

Will update more tommorow . :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I planned to spend the whole off day to day on the bike but I had to get some chores done and get my dogs vaccinated as they were due coming weekend. By the time i got to my bike it was already 4pm but I managed to sneak a peak at another accesory shop between the chores and bought these goodies.

This is the alloy chain tensionner, just for looks. it goes after the nut.

New Alloy screws for the body cover,

Tyre air valve cap

This is for the clutch cable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I was preparing the frame to clean it up with diesel, I wanted to get my engine clutch cover and magneto cover painted so I got to them by draining the oil and removing the covers. Noy, If I use diesel, it will make the seals expand, so i decided to drop the engine out and work on the frame and engine seperately. Here are the pictrues of the progress I made so far.

I didnt get to clean the frame yet but I managed to get them to the state where the next time i get to it, it will be just cleaning it and no more unbolting anything.

Here are the pictures thank to my lovely wife. :)

My frame on the stands.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Engine and Other parts Pics.

That is my friend Hemath who came to help me on the left and Me on the right.

RPM Cable and 2t HOse

Power Valve Control Unit

Magneto Power Coil - i think.

Throttle with Carburator and the Whole Wiring Harness.

2T Tank

Clutch Cover which has the water pump and 2t pump.

Horn Asembly

SwingArm Bar

Here is my Precious Engine on the floor for the second time.

Radiator Hose, fuel hose and Engine Breather hose.

Front Sprocket cover.

2T Pump COver and the Engine Screw that mount the engine and other cover screws.

Battery box

This is how she site for now until i get back to her.

Thats it from me for today. Thank you for watching :D

·
Shantytown Mayor
4,706 Posts
Whoaah... a garage of a typical motorhead and a cool collection too :) my primary mode of trasport are my bikes, i do have a car but it is setup for drift and it is not street legal, my misus's car will be the one to use when i need to :D
I'd probably ride my bike more if it wasn't for the snow and crap we get here. :D

Looks like it's coming along nice! The engine reminds me of the Honda CR 2 stroke motocross bikes we have/had here. Pretty cool billet stuff you found also.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'd probably ride my bike more if it wasn't for the snow and crap we get here. :D

Looks like it's coming along nice! The engine reminds me of the Honda CR 2 stroke motocross bikes we have/had here. Pretty cool billet stuff you found also.
Thanks dude. Those billet stuff's are pretty hard to come by now as I was told they are out of date here apparently. They still look cool to me, my bike is also about 13 years old, harder to get bike specific accesorries like before. It is alright, my neighboring country Thailand still have alot of parts for this bike and it is also Similiar to its younger successor the NSR 150 SP with the single Pro Arm. Everything from that bike can be bolted on to this bike but that bike has a stiffer frame then myne and I am not sure if using the single pro arm which some people have done here is safe.

If anyone know the impacts of using the pro-arm and what needs to be done to make my bike frame handle the single pro-arm like the NSR 150 SP please do let me know. They look really cool.

Here is a pic of the NSR sp

Picture Curtosy of http://ducatimonster.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/nsr150sp-11.jpg

1 - 20 of 87 Posts