Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

My name is Geoff, and I just traded into a '74 BMW R90/6 with about 60k on it, It's a pretty clean 1 owner bike. It's not together (heads are off) so I'm going to have lots of questions about getting it on the road, Please be kind.

Geoff

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum Geoff.
That R-90 is downright modern compared to my 1965 R-60 with its 4 speed. Scroll down the forum and you will find a section devoted to older bikes. My guess would be someone there is more likely to be helpful to you.

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Hi Geoff! Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your R90 Beemer and best of luck with it.

I've got a good friend that bought his R90S new, still has it and does all his own work. If you have any questions shoot me a PM and I'll connect the two of you.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee!
There are many knowledgeable folks on here, I am sure someone will step up and help ya out.
Got Pics after the 15 post requirement?
Regards
Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

For the warm welcome. I hope to get this on the road soon. I've got all of the parts (except for gaskets and such) so I hope it won't be too bad. I'm a custom knife maker and I got this in trade for an ivory and Damascus gents knife from the original owner, who bought it in Europe in 1974. I'm planning on putting a hack on it, should make a great tug.

Geoff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One more post

I need one more post so I can move to the Maker Specific area of the forum. I hope this will do the job. In the meantime, the heads are off the bike. The previous owner was concerned that he needed to install hardened valve seats, but the shop he took them to said they were in fine shape. He had been putting in a container of lead additive with every (or every other) tank of gas. Should I continue to do that?

The bike has about 60k on it, but I know the first owner, and I know him to careful about maintenance. Since the heads are off, is there anything I should consider doing before putting it back together?

Thanks

Geoff

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dan. Since you know she's carefully maintained and has low mileage, keep things back together and she how she goes!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts